PDA

View Full Version : Utlimate Windows 8 Developer Preview Install Guide [high performance] for the G73JH

BladeZero
09-20-2011, 11:38 PM
The Windows 8 ATI driver 9/21/11 found in Windows Update performs better than the Windows 7 ATI 11.9 RCx Mobility Mod even with ATI Overdrive. When Catalyst Control Center is released for Windows 8 the addition of ATI Overdrive can only make graphics perform better. There is also a new Atheros LAN driver 2.0.0.1 which is NDIS 6.30 included in Windows 8 Developer Preview.

<b><font color=red>1.)</font></b> If you don't need to use the battery, while the notebook is powered down, remove the battery and run on ac only. This will improve performance.<br />
<b><font color=red>2.)</font></b> Windows 8 Developer Preview can be downloaded from dev.windows.com . Insert Windows 8 Developer Preview DVD or USB and boot from it. Delete old partitions. Create new. Format the partition. Then install.<br />
<b><font color=red>3.)</font></b> Go to Control Panel, More Settings, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On or Off, Go to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and check it then click ok.<br />
<b><font color=red>4.)</font></b> After Windows 8 is done installing, go to Control Panel, More Settings, Change User Account Control settings turn it all the way down, click ok. Go to Desktop, open Internet Explorer, and download and install the INF update utility 9.2.0.1030 from Intel. Reboot is required after install.<br />
<b><font color=red>5.)</font></b> Right click where the clock is, then go to properties, then turn the action center icon off.<br />
<b><font color=red>6.)</font></b> Go to Action Center in Control Panel, More Settings, Go to change action center settings on the left hand side uncheck
everything, click ok, then go back. Click the arrow on the maintenance tab and go to settings and check never check for solutions.<br />
<b><font color=red>7.)</font></b> Use Windows Update by going to Control Panel and then More Settings and install Recommended updates and optional updates except the atk driver, Intel Management engine components driver and Ati Display driver. Restart.<br />
<b><font color=red>8.)</font></b>Install the 9/21/2011 ATI display driver through Windows Update. Restart by typing in ctrl+alt+delete, then going to the power button on the lower right corner of the screen. Click it then go to restart.<br />
<b><font color=red>11.)</font></b> Install Intel Management engine components driver from Windows Update. Reboot.<br />
<b><font color=red>12.)</font></b> Go to Control Panel, More Settings, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On or Off, Go to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and check it then click ok.<br />
<b><font color=red>12.)</font></b> Now that the Windows Updates have finished if there are none left, you can use the the MS AHCI driver or the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.6.0.1022 driver from Intel, or the older Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.​1.​0.​1008 from Intel. Reboot after install. <br />
<b><font color=red>13.)</font></b> Install ATK package 1.0.00014 Reboot will be required.<br />
<b><font color=red>14.)</font></b> Install Realtek High Definition audio driver 2.66 for Windows 7 X64 at Realtek. Reboot will be required.<br />
<b><font color=red>15.)</font></b> Install Realtek HDMI driver 2.64 for Windows 7 X64 from Realtek. Reboot will be required.<br />
<b><font color=red>16.)</font></b> I don't use the Creative packages so that there is not an extra process running in the backround draining system resources. I find that using just the Realtek drivers the sound is just fine.<br />
<b><font color=red>17.)</font></b> If you are using the touchpad for a mouse (I have mine disabled in Bios since I use a mouse) then install the Synaptics 15.2.20 driver for Windows 7 X64 from Synaptics. Reboot will be required.<br />
<b><font color=red>18.)</font></b> You may have an Intel 6250 or an Atheros Wifi. Install proper drivers according to which wifi card you have, before reformat look in device manager and determine which wireless card you have. <br />
For the Intel 6250 card Install Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7 64-Bit 14.2.0.10 by right clicking on the file and selecting properties, go to the compatibility tab and check run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Reboot after. After that install Intel PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Connection Utility for Windows 7 64-bit 6.5 by right clicking on the file and selecting properties, to to the compatibility tab and check run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Reboot after.<br />
If you have the Atheros AR5B95/AR9285 card then install the 9.2.0.310 driver. Reboot after.<br />
<b><font color=red>19.)</font></b> If you need it and/or you use the turbo button Install Power4Gear Hybrid v1.1.37. Reboot will be required. After install you can set which power option you want. <br />
<b><font color=red>20.)</font></b> Install DirectX Redist Package June 2010 from Microsoft. Reboot afterwards.<br />
<b><font color=red>21.)</font></b> After reboot go to Programs and Features in Control Panel, More Settings. Click Turn Windows Features on or off on the left hand side. Uncheck Windows Search, Tablet PC Components, and Windows Gadget Platform if you do not need to use Windows Search or gadgets. Your performance will improve. Reboot will be required. <br />
<b><font color=red>22.)</font></b> Go to Control Panel, More Settings,
then Administrative tools, then System Configuration and uncheck everything except the ATK drivers, click ok, then go to exit without restart.<br />
<b><font color=red>23.)</font></b> In Control Panel, More Settings, then to Windows Defender, uncheck everything and uncheck use this program to turn it off. It is recommended by games such as World of Warcraft to turn this off to improve performance, so it can only improve performance in all games or programs.<br />
<b><font color=red>24.)</font></b> Go to blackviper.com, go to Guides, Service Configurations, click Continue Reading on the Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations post. Your going to want to disable the selected settings under the Tweaked setting which is in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Also disable Windows Defender. Disable Scrybe updater if you are using the Synaptics touchpad driver. If you are using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver disable Intel Rapid Storage Technology if you are not using RAID. I personally am not using WIFI so I turn off WLAN Autoconfig as well as all of the Intel ProSet Services and only turn them on again by chance I happen to use Wifi sometime.<br />
<b><font color=red>25.)</font></b> Go to Control Panel, More Settings, System,go to Advanced System Settings, go to the System Protection tab, click your on your hard drive, go to configure, slide the disk space usage all the way down to 0, click turn off system protection. Click Ok, then go to the Remote tab, uncheck Allow Remote Assistance Connections to this computer. Click ok.<br />
<b><font color=red>26.)</font></b> Restart. DONE.
<br />

xeromist
09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice. Thanks for writing all of this up.

TheOriginalTO
09-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Well, this looks like a lot of work :/ lol

/edit so their is no reason to do this if you are not buying windows 8? or do you keep the beta version?

BladeZero
09-21-2011, 07:03 AM
There is a restart bug where it hangs while restarting at the green 'Restarting' screen for about 4-5 minutes about half of the time. Once all of the installations are finished though it doesn't really get in the way. I noticed alot of hard drive activity while it's restarting and happened early on even with both MS AHCI and the newest Rapid Storage Technology driver so I don't think it's the sata driver. It happened early on also so I don't really think it has to do with the installations of newer drivers.

Runs ok besides that.

TheOriginalTO
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
So, you would highly recommend doing this then?

BladeZero
09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, the performance gains are very noticeable. I also saw on a thread on another site that Windows 7 drivers are about 20% slower. So lets say someone upgraded from a Radeon 6970 to a 6990, they would receive a 25% increase in performance. So upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is almost like upgrading to another video card?!

TheOriginalTO
09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
so your saying not to keep your files etc.? do a clean install of it and re-download drivers etc?

/edit also how do you do it with usb? do you need to convert the iso you download?

jorlanm
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Does this mean Windows 8 can finaly let me play Crysis 2 @ 1920x1080 ULTRA settings on my G73sw? I hope so! even better performance when BF3 comes out!

BladeZero
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
You can save your files by using USB, external hard drive, or DVD. You have to redownload the drivers though, the ones in the guide. You can format the usb to NTFS, I uncheck the quick format option. Use Daemon Tools Lite to mount the iso. Open the DVD, copy all of the contents inside, open the USB and paste. Reboot, type esc key to enter the bios boot menu and select your usb drive and it will boot from it.

Also Windows 8 I believe is being upgraded until it is final code by testing out a feature that upgrades the build as it goes along.

I'm sure there is a Windows 8 driver in Windows Update for the Nvidia cards since NVIDIA has a press release on their website mentioning developing drivers for Windows 8 and also mentioning the Windows 8 Developer Preview. I can't say for sure I'm guessing no support for the 3d Active Shutter Glasses at this point? Maybe in a future release on their website?

If your wanting to get Crysis 2 running at ULTRA, max resolution on DX11 Windows 8 would be the system to try it out on.

jorlanm
09-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I downloaded the Windows 8 preview when it came out last week or so...But havent decided to install it yet...If all my games and programs will work on it I might just go ahead and use Windows 8 as a main Operating system so by the time it goes on sale Im used to using it already

Therawkfist
09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
might try this out on my extra laptop very nice write up!

TheOriginalTO
09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm in the process of putting it on my laptop now, will let you guys know how everything goes.

grungeboy2
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I downloaded the Windows 8 preview when it came out last week or so...But havent decided to install it yet...If all my games and programs will work on it I might just go ahead and use Windows 8 as a main Operating system so by the time it goes on sale Im used to using it already

when vista came out i beta'd it (the beta of vista ran great, never had a problem with it, the final release was buggy and had issues). the issue i ran into with it was that most of the drivers and software wasn't ready for it. DX10 for example has only matured in the last year or so.

a good idea is if you want to play with it, try running it in a virtual machine with a program like virtual box or VMWare (might have to grab a copy of this from, cough other sites). with a fast computer like a G-Series, virtual machines run well. if you have a CPU that supports hardware virtualization (yours should, my P7350 Core2Duo doesn't) you can play around with it all day, if you're doesn't support Hardware VT then you need to grab a 32-bit version.

using a virtual machine will put a hamper on the performance, but you can play with it to your heart's content and if you have problems delete without having to worry about damaging your copy of Win7.

TPB might have someone's upload of a premade Virtual Machine. i used one of these copies to run a VM of OSX awhile back.

TheOriginalTO
09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
So I installed it and found out that I really hate the way they did things. It is like a smart phone now the ui. restored back to windows 7 sp1.

Therawkfist
09-23-2011, 03:28 PM
@grungeboy: What VM program do you run/recommend? Is virtual box any good?

Keitaro_252
10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Did any of you guys have misc. issues such as the headphone jack not working ( speakers transmit sound when headphones are jacked in ) or the backlite on the keyboard not working?