PDA

View Full Version : Copper clip blown out of G75VW

Clintlgm
01-31-2014, 09:55 PM
While Blowing the dust out of my G75 VW, this Copper Spring came out. Any of you guy's that have had one apart do you recognize what this does. Its copper and I can see where it was soldered on to something on one end 33086

cl-Albert
01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Clintlgm, hopefully the unit is still working okay?

Don't recognize it, but how big is it (size of a penny etc.) and are you sure it came from the notebook, or could have something else blown out and hit that item that came from somewhere else?

Although I never tear apart the G75VW, just a little surprised anything could have came loose and wondering how powerful of a blower you were using.

Well, hopefully somebody else recognizes it if I'm wrong, but just wanted to run this idea by you.

Dreamonic
02-01-2014, 01:19 AM
IIRC, this is what broke off http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/z9KHrJKInmA/hqdefault.jpg

Looks to me like its nickel plated or perhaps brass.

It's looks as though its used as a 'spring' like standoff to keep the distance underneath the keyboard panel and the MB apart from each other in that area. Mine was only glued on, not soldered. Go figure.

You'll note under the keyboard tray directly above it, there is a small cut out on the underside of the fake speaker like grille mesh area where a foam pad sits. This would compress that 'spring' like standoff when the keyboard tray is snapped into place.

Clintlgm
02-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Well the only thing I have found, is that I can no longer read the GPU Fan Speed. I ran Furmark a bit to verify that the fan is actually working.
But yes it does seem that it was soldered on.
I'll get another picture with a coin.
I said copper but Brass would be more likely as it does seem to be a spring Could be copper plated Steel too?

SHADO
02-01-2014, 08:02 AM
I said copper but Brass would be more likely as it does seem to be a spring Could be copper plated Steel too?

According to the best look I can get, it's either brass or brass plated. A penny is copper colored. This isn't. :)

Dreamonic
02-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I can't see it having any relation to the GPU fan speed sensor since that spring is located on the CPU side. Sometimes HWiNFO doesn't show GPU fan speed near the EC sensor list area as I've seen it down at the very bottom before as well. You may want to confirm that first.

Clintlgm
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
33108 here is some better views, I think it is indeed brass, its non magnetic, I think it came loose while I was blowing out the right side ports USB Mini display etc but it could have come loose at any point. The coin is a US Dime
The soldered end has a small hole in it for solder flow I assume

ggBanks
02-02-2014, 09:40 AM
I have this thing broken off while one of my G55 disassemblies. It is a suspension for the pipe that goes from the heat sink to the processor copper plate. Its nothing to worry about. Mine works ok, and i suspect yours as well.

P.S. When i look at he picture, i see that this particular one is not from the heat sink like mine was. It is probably something that makes contact between the MB and the upper panel where your KB is. Probably grounding or something.

Clintlgm
02-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I have this thing broken off while one of my G55 disassemblies. It is a suspension for the pipe that goes from the heat sink to the processor copper plate. Its nothing to worry about. Mine works ok, and i suspect yours as well.

P.S. When i look at he picture, i see that this particular one is not from the heat sink like mine was. It is probably something that makes contact between the MB and the upper panel where your KB is. Probably grounding or something.
That was my thought too that this would be a grounding kind of thing. If nothing else happens I'll most likely solder it back on after July when my warranty runs out and I'll be putting in a better WiFi Card. It is strange though that I lost connection to the fan speed for the GPU.

Clintlgm
02-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Dreamonic, thanks for the input. It seems that the GPU Fan is reading again this morning. Hoping no other small parts are floating around in there! Otherwise after my warranty runs out in July I'll be putting in a better WiFi card and using your fan flow case mod and won't have to blow this NB out so often. Very dusty down here in South Louisiana