PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the temperature of my GPU?

Azzazel
09-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Hello All,

Just wanted to confirm if it is normal for my GPU to reach a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius while running starcraft 2 of maximum graphics?

Because to me it seems pretty high.

Thanks

korre
09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes it's all good :) when you reach above 90 degrees then I suggest you do some vent cleaning :)

Azzazel
09-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks korre :)

what would you advice for cleaning by the way?

korre
09-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Lets not get ahead of schedule. Depends om how long you've had it.
More than 6 months = clean. If not it's time to update BIOS to the latest (check chastitys sticky)

xeromist
09-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Also note that if you smoke there is a film that will build up over time that isn't easily cleaned. You pretty much have to disassemble the computer to clean smoke buildup.

grungeboy2
09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
compressed air, a can of it, works best. blow into the exhaust, to knock everything loose, then blow back into the intakes to blow it all out. do make sure that you're not just blowing heaps of dust further into the computer, otherwise you may need to remove the bottom panel to get it all out.

Br4nd3n
09-21-2011, 06:05 PM
That's actually a great temperature to be running at on a laptop while maxing out Starcraft 2. My GPU temperature in my G74Sx idles at around 31c while not doing anything and has never gone higher then 57c; and I play Rift on max settings.

Matt Horvath
09-21-2011, 07:31 PM
You guys are lucky... down here in Brazil I'm getting around 70C easily when playing Crysis 2 and Metro 2033, and my G73SW-A1 is exactly one month old!

jorlanm
09-21-2011, 08:49 PM
My G73sw-3DE idles between 57c ~ 62c and Loads at 78c (Maximum I have seen)...Furmark hits it a 93c Max @20 minutes...

Br4nd3n
09-21-2011, 09:20 PM
You guys are lucky... down here in Brazil I'm getting around 70C easily when playing Crysis 2 and Metro 2033, and my G73SW-A1 is exactly one month old!

Location does play a role because of Temperature and Humidity. I live in New York (not the city) where it's pretty cold this time of the year, all my electronics run really good around this time :D

jorlanm
09-21-2011, 09:34 PM

While the GTX 460m (Fermi) do run hotter it has a higher tempereture treshold nVidia claims the GTX460m can run @ 105c and still stable ...the GTX 560m max is at 100c...

korre
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Right now i'm sitting in my LAN "chamber". Installed AC and payed for the pipes to lead out for some fresh air. Let's just say, it's perfect, and you don't sweat in here. Fyi, I live in sweden, so it doesn't really matter if I had this room or not, summers tend to get rainy and it's hardly super hot here :)

Azzazel
09-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Yes i am a smoker... Great so now i'll have to stop smoking while using my gaming laptop...
I mite as well isolate myself in a vacuumed room! :D

xeromist
09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm just pointing out that there can be a tar buildup and to be aware. It's not going to happen overnight. :)

grungeboy2
09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Yes i am a smoker... Great so now i'll have to stop smoking while using my gaming laptop...
I mite as well isolate myself in a vacuumed room! :D

i smoke as well and my entire time having my own computers (desktops, and laptops, etc), my take on the whole deal has been to clean my stuff with a little more frequency and to try to avoid situations where the smoke i'm exhaling is going to go right into the laptop or desktop. simple things like not blowing your smoke at it, cleaning it ever few months instead of every six, keyboard skins. in all my time i've never seen any equipment fail because of smoke buildup. now my buddy, geez, i've seen it happen.

if you're aware of the problem you can take steps to ensure that it doesn't become a big problem.

Br4nd3n
09-23-2011, 02:43 AM
i smoke as well and my entire time having my own computers (desktops, and laptops, etc), my take on the whole deal has been to clean my stuff with a little more frequency and to try to avoid situations where the smoke i'm exhaling is going to go right into the laptop or desktop. simple things like not blowing your smoke at it, cleaning it ever few months instead of every six, keyboard skins. in all my time i've never seen any equipment fail because of smoke buildup. now my buddy, geez, i've seen it happen.

if you're aware of the problem you can take steps to ensure that it doesn't become a big problem.

Or you could just not smoke in the same area you use your laptop (I.E Smoking outside).

xeromist
09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Or you could just not smoke in the same area you use your laptop (I.E Smoking outside).

Yes, I'm sure he's considered that. Let's not turn this into an argument please.

colklink
09-23-2011, 04:37 PM
my jh idles at 45c and im able to let it run in furmark forever i let it run for 55 minutes never exceeded 74c it averaged 72-73c it hit 74 fan kick in and brought it back to 72c i consider myself one of the lucky ones as ive had this laptop for almost a year and all ive had to do temp wise is blow air into it once.:o

Br4nd3n
09-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes, I'm sure he's considered that. Let's not turn this into an argument please.

Wasn't trying to turn it into an argument, was just being practical. It's just easier to avoid smoking maintence on your laptop if you were to smoke somewhere else, that's all I meant.

Azzazel
09-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I am sure we are all adults and are mature enough to admit on the facts.

I appreciate all the advice regarding the smoke and i have kept a note of that :)

I really like and appreciate the community here, compared to other forums i've been to.

grungeboy2
09-24-2011, 09:50 AM
most of the time i do smoke outside. sometimes i take my laptop on the front porch with me, depending on what i'm doing.

electronic equipment (especially good stuff) is like cars. i can take a Toyota Carolla and drive it hard, i can do that with my Ford-branded Mazda 3 wagon. Now there's a difference between driving your cars hard, keeping the plugs changed (or in newer cars keeping the coil packs in good maintenence), running high grade oil, and keeping the engine and other components in good, clean, working shape, and abusing it. by abuseing it, i mean running it hard, putting cheap walmart oil in, driving on bald tires, ignoring issues because you feel they aren't important enough to warrant being out of your car for a few days.

people won't always notice the difference between the two, but i assure you, it's there.

smoker or not, my laptop stays clean as a whistle, overclocks from 2.0Ghz to 2.4 like it's nobody's business, and my vid card (GTX260m) is idling at 57C.