PDA

View Full Version : Advice? Considering my first asus G750 jx but unsure...

haylight
02-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I really like (almost) everything about this laptop but I have a few irritations that keep surfacing and I wondered how true they
were

-1. BATTERY LIFE. Some people say you get "ok" "not too bad" battery life other people say "horrible". One person said when
their G750 wasn't plugged in they couldn't play farmville without their pc slowing down because it goes so slow when not
plugged in. Is this true? I'd hope to get at least 4 or 5 hours word processing with low brightness on basic tasks using integrated graphics and to perform some basic operations (maybe even minor photoshop work) using integrated graphics without it slowing down.

-2. SCREEN. Some people love the matte anti-glare screen other people say the colors are horrible get the glossy. Is the anti-
glare version that bad? What is your experience with this type of screen?

3. OPERATING SYSTEM. With this laptop you're stuck with Windows 8. Is it really that bad? I'm a 7 user and from what I've heard with this laptop you're pretty much stuck with 8

sevymar
02-01-2014, 09:08 PM
1. Battery life is max 2.30 hours about.. but these laptops are made for heavy duty so it's build for having a power supply plugged in nonstop.. can't blame about that :p
2. i have glossy screen, works perfectly.
3. I have windows 8.1 with classicshell and metro startup disabled, so far loving it. it's btw a very stable OS.

noone
02-02-2014, 03:08 AM
There are driver issues with the matte screens in the JW, but the screen itself is fine IMO (YMMV).
I belive the JX and JW matte screens are the same.

gazzacbr
02-02-2014, 04:09 AM
power saving kicks in when on battery but you can override this. as sevymar says, its not really a portable.
windows 7 runs great. all drivers are available.
so does windows 8 and 8.1.
you can choose.
replace your windows 8 or dual boot.

polbit
02-02-2014, 05:33 AM
This (JX) has been the best laptop I've ever owned, and I spent over $3k on a loaded 2011 MBP as my last one. It's nowhere near as portable, but that's what I have a Surface 2 Pro for. That combination has replaced a desktop PC, MBP 15" and iPad.

As far as battery life, I don't really think you would buy a G750 for its stamina on battery. This is a desktop replacement, not an ultrabook. I used it on battery once, and forgot to plug the PS back in. Started a SCII session, and went from 150fps to 20fps. Never again.