PDA

View Full Version : Booting Issue

Nystik
02-02-2014, 01:49 AM
Hey guys,

So I recently installed my SSD as the primary drive with the OS, and formatted my original HDD.

I've noticed that sometimes when I turn off & turn on the computer that the BIOS settings will come back up, and the SSD will not be in my booting priority order (sometimes I can't even see it in the options when choosing the boot). It seems that the settings change themselves and I keep having to go back and do them again as they were.

I eventually manage to boot it however, are there any suggestions on how to fix this issue permanantely?

Nillaz
02-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Nystik out of curiosity when you did your data migration did you physically swap which bays your SSD and HDD were connected to?

getjohnalive
02-02-2014, 09:54 AM
reset BIOS settings..and restart your laptop...

Nystik
02-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I formatted my SSD again whilst the HDD was not connected. It works fine and I managed to start and turn off without any issues about 10 times.

As soon as I added my HDD as the extra drive and tried to boot it up with both attached I received this error:

The boot configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. (etc.)

Nystik
02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Also, I've noticed that after adding the formatted & empty HDD it automatically moves up to first boot order for some reason. Everything I edit that it changes itself.

noone
02-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Nystik out of curiosity when you did your data migration did you physically swap which bays your SSD and HDD were connected to?

So, did you?

Nystik
02-02-2014, 12:43 PM
So, did you?

I have the SSD connected to the right bay, and the HDD connected to the left bay, as I read that the right bay is the primary drive?

I've tried changing it the other way but the booting problem remains.

Nystik
02-02-2014, 01:09 PM
UPDATE; Just had my first issue regarding the SSD booting without the HDD installed in the bracket.

It brought me straight to the BIOS screen and I couldn't see any device to boot from, not even the installed SSD with the OS.

Nystik
02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
UPDATE; Just had my first issue regarding the SSD booting without the HDD installed in the bracket.

It brought me straight to the BIOS screen and I couldn't see any device to boot from, not even the installed SSD with the OS.

Bump.

Nillaz
02-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately I'm not at home and don't have my laptop with me. I'll try to look into this when I get home this evening and seew hat I can come up with.

Edit: To get ahead of the game when you have a chance can you post what model you have and what BIOS version you are on?

Nystik
02-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately I'm not at home and don't have my laptop with me. I'll try to look into this when I get home this evening and seew hat I can come up with.

Edit: To get ahead of the game when you have a chance can you post what model you have and what BIOS version you are on?

G750JW with updated version to 208

I believe the main problem is that the SSD disk disappears from the BIOS and it's not able to boot!

Nystik
02-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Tried many methods to remove this booting error, however none have worked so far! Doing a reset at the moment :(

Nillaz
02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Let me know how you make out with your reset. I had a similar issue with an older SSD in another laptop, but I hesitate to recommend how I ended up fixing it as I might only make matters worse.

Nystik
02-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Let me know how you make out with your reset. I had a similar issue with an older SSD in another laptop, but I hesitate to recommend how I ended up fixing it as I might only make matters worse.

Yeah still hasn't fixed the problem. In the SATA configuration within BIOS the HDD and CD-ROM are detected, however the port 0 which contains booting SSD is "empty" the majority of the time, and thus there is no device to boot from in boot priorities list. It does occasionally find the SSD automatically on booting, however, this is a rare occurrence. Computer is only a few days old and I'm thinking SSD is faulty?

Nillaz
02-04-2014, 12:09 AM
I had a similar issue with an SSD and an OS reinstall on my previous laptop. The install was corrupted and the only way I could fix it was to secure erase the drive. I doubt that this is your issue as you had a virgin drive and you say it gets detected occasionally whereas mine would not be detected at all under any circumstances. I wonder if a faulty drive is actually the case in this circumstance.