PDA

View Full Version : OS Drive continuously fragmented, please help

psychosocial81
02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Was wondering why my OS drive is ALWAYS fragmented, nearly all the squares are red, I use Aus logic defrag to defragment it, seems fine, but the next day if I analyze the drive again, its nearly all in red... something I could do or use to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Darnassus
02-03-2014, 03:48 AM
DO NOT DEFRAGMENT A SOLID STATE DRIVE

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER DEFRAGMENT A SOLID STATE DRIVE!!!

Defrag the mechanical disk, sure.. but NEVER SOLID STATE DRIVE!!

There's a REASON why it's unchecked when you first boot up Aus Logics Disk Defrag

gazzacbr
02-03-2014, 04:05 AM
+1, nothing you need to do with windows 8.
it knows whether you have an ssd or a hard disk.

just type defrag from the metro screen.
in the windows defrag menu you will see it says either Optimise for an ssd or Defragment for a harddisk.
forget 3rd party apps.

psychosocial81
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Okay thanks for the informations,

Now that by mistake I did defragment it, can I just keep it that way and just dont touch it the next time I re-install windows? Or would it be better for me to re-install everything, just double checking :)

Did defragent it because my os drive ( C ) has 280GB and my D: drive has 400GB. Seeing I installed stuff on the OS drive as well, I thought good to defrag, apparently not a good idea.

It was actually Asus who made me format it for a problem I had before, and when all was done, the space was divided as mentioned above, would it be better if I left only a smaller space for os and put all in D drive instead?

If yes, what would be the procedures for doing such a thing.

Darnassus
02-03-2014, 01:50 PM
You don't need to do anything.

The reason why you don't defrag an SSD is because the "blocks" (sectors in the disk that you write data to) can only be written to a limited amount of times. (It's said around 10,000 times?) Where as a Mechanical Drive, the platter (disk) is magnetic, and can be reverse polarised practically infinitely.

SSD's wear down, so the more you write on it, giving it activity like downloads and so on, you'll wear it out faster.

The reason your SSD shows not as 256, but as 240 or under is because 16-20 gigabytes of the disk is reserved to use as "replacement" sectors/blocks when you cannot WRITE to that specific area of the disk any longer. The disk will read, transfer and put it on a new block.

To mentally picture it:
The reason your disk looks so fragmented is because all your files are evenly distributed like a bucket of water, the water being all your data. The water sits flat, even surface, utilising all the space evenly. Where as a Mechanical Drive is like a room, everything is consolidated to the walls, giving lots of empty space to put new things in.

Here's some good tips to extend the use of your Solid State Drive.

Never defrag it.
Change your download location for files off of the internet to your mechanical drive.
Never let your SSD fill to the point you have around 10 gigabytes left (or the bar in My Computer goes red), always leave a good amount free, say maybe 20.
Never do a low level format with programs like DBAN or "Clear Free Space" procedures.

I get you're quite anal about your disk space, you have no idea how deep we're in the same boat, I have to constantly remind myself not to defrag it and leave it alone. But trust me when I say this, the less you write to it, and give it tasks the Mechanical Drive is more than capable of doing, the better.

I can guarantee doing all this can get this drive to live up to 6-10 years. If it's an Intel Drive though, I am aware they seem to last longer.. I think.

Darnassus
02-03-2014, 01:53 PM
P.S. sorry for my uninformative post at first, I was half asleep but still wanted to help a fellow ROG'er out. <3 ;d

psychosocial81
02-03-2014, 02:01 PM
np thanks for the tips!

SO if you dont mind me asking one last question, seeing I do have a near 200GB of free space on OS, can I still use it to install programs and such? Otherwise I am at a lost of good space lol.

Thanks for letting me know!

Darnassus
02-04-2014, 07:08 AM
I have 80 gigs left, but if it gets to 50 gigs, I'll start moving all my inactive games over to the mechanical drive to play later if I want. But I'd not get it full to the point of 20 gigs left.

This is my personal opinion though.

TJ Hooker
02-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Did defragent it because my os drive ( C ) has 280GB and my D: drive has 400GB. Seeing I installed stuff on the OS drive as well, I thought good to defrag, apparently not a good idea.

It was actually Asus who made me format it for a problem I had before, and when all was done, the space was divided as mentioned above, would it be better if I left only a smaller space for os and put all in D drive instead?

If yes, what would be the procedures for doing such a thing.

I've never heard of a 280GB SSD. In fact, the combined sizes of your 2 drives (280 + 400 = 680GB) kind of makes it look like you have a single 750GB HDD, and it's just partitioned in two (and probably a 3rd, hidden, recovery partition about 20GB in size).

getjohnalive
02-04-2014, 08:06 PM
please, tell us if you have SSD or not?..if you have SSD in your laptop, then should not defragment it.

Darnassus
02-05-2014, 05:50 AM
I've never heard of a 280GB SSD. In fact, the combined sizes of your 2 drives (280 + 400 = 680GB) kind of makes it look like you have a single 750GB HDD, and it's just partitioned in two (and probably a 3rd, hidden, recovery partition about 20GB in size).

Sorry, half asleep, meant to say 260 / 256.

Darnassus
02-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Oh whoops, poster said he has 280gb. I didn't concentrate.

Check to see if you possess an SSD or Mechanical Drive, please.

You can google "Speccy" and upon booting program, click 'Hard Drives', select all data and post it here if you're not sure.

Speccy is developed by Piriform, reknown for CCleaner.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy