PDA

View Full Version : G75VW: Moving lines on screen, canít install nvidia drivers

dcuebas
02-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Hi! I am new to the forum and have been searching for anything close to the problem I have. I have found some issues that are similar, but they seem unresolved. I am running a clean install of Win 7 SP1 on 2 SSDs in Raid 0 and have 24GB RAM installed.

Summary:
I was playing a DVD when the screen started pixelating. I stopped the DVD player app and rebooted to reset the laptop. On reboot, the screen flickered between the desktop image and black, then, ultimately stayed black. Thinking the graphics card went bad, I installed a new GTX 660M. Now I have colored lines on the screen.

Can't Install Nvidia Drivers
The laptop is not eligible for warranty, so Iím on my own for this. I suspected the graphics card, so I ordered a new nvidia GTX 660M. I had no issues installing the card, but now I canít do a normal boot into Win 7. The screen stays black. I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the nvidia drivers. Now I can do a normal boot with generic VGA drivers. If I try to install any version of the drivers, I cannot perform a normal boot.

Lines Everywhere
As soon as the laptop boots, the horizontal lines appear on the screen and will move when anything on the screen moves. This includes the Windows animation on boot, the mouse cursor, etc. These lines also appear if I go into BIOS or even when I boot on a Linux CD. I also tried a clean install of Win 7 and observed the lines during that process. I also see the line on an external monitor on the VGA port, so I know the display is not at fault. The screenshots are of the Safe Mode boot options. As I select an option, the lines will move. I have reseated and swapped the memory several times as well.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Could this be a bad motherboard?

Dreamonic
02-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I would say its still GPU but believe it or not, similar lines can be seen with a problem in the RAID array. Try setting up and booting with just one SSD instead. Report your findings.

You could also try flashing back to Stock BIOS via EZFlash.

Keep troubleshooting, since you just may have to buy another GPU off eBay. One more thing, how positive are you that the 2nd GPU wasn't already faulty? Did you test it out prior until now?

dcuebas
02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
I would say its still GPU but believe it or not, similar lines can be seen with a problem in the RAID array. Try setting up and booting with just one SSD instead. Report your findings.

You could also try flashing back to Stock BIOS via EZFlash.

Keep troubleshooting, since you just may have to buy another GPU off eBay. One more thing, how positive are you that the 2nd GPU wasn't already faulty? Did you test it out prior until now?Thanks for your reply!

I agree that it is probably the GPU. I just wanted to cover anything I may have missed. I did setup the single SSD and as expected, the lines are still there.

I am not definite if the second GPU is good or not. It was sold as "new", but that doesn't mean there are not defects. Other than installing it into the laptop, how could I test the card? Is that something a PC repair shop should be able to do? I just emailed the seller I bought it from to see if he can help me out.

Dreamonic
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Yeah, definitely.

If you can get your hands on another G75 to test the cards in, that would give you a definite answer as to which problem hardware it is.

Not that I wouldn't suggest taking your system to a PC repair shop, but you may end up paying more there than just purchasing another GPU off eBay and saving yourself more noggin scratching; Hopefully the seller will do an exchange or possibly refund you.

If the results using yet another GPU addresses the problem, then we know the other GPU's were faulty. If the same GPU's work fine in another G75, then your MB would be in question. It's likely not going to be your RAM, since that would show signs of shutting down, restarting, boot looping, etc.

It honestly just looks like faulty GPU VRAM IC's since you have this showing up in the BIOS, POST and problems using drivers.

Have you tried flashing your BIOS yet? Since the vBIOS is located in the system BIOS as an option ROM, updating your BIOS also updates the vBIOS version as well. What version of BIOS are you using? 210, 217, 221 223?

dcuebas
02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't know anyone with a G75 to test with...

Regarding the repair shop: I was just curious if they had a way to plug the GPU and run diagnostics on it. Anyway, I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller.

I should have mentioned the BIOS version. I'm running version 223. It was already on the laptop when I got it.

I believe my next step is to reinstall the original card without drivers and see if the problem occurs with it. Then I will try installing the drivers. Maybe the original card just needed to be reseated or the drivers got corrupted somehow? That's about the only thing I can think of until I hear back from the seller.

Thanks for your help!

Dreamonic
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Most repair shops either A) don't have the necessary tools or available board schematic/circuit diagrams or B) outsource their repairs somewhere else. It depends on the shop.

Okay, no point messing with the BIOS then.

I think you are right, as somehow I was thinking the original card (while reading the results of the other one) were showing similar anomalies. Drivers can definitely show that when in OS, just not when in BIOS or POST. It could be a bad sleep resume paired with older drivers or BETA ones. Definitely try the original card again and test further.

If it was somehow just a problem with the drivers and or OS, at least you found out that 2nd GPU was faulty.

It's a win-win scenario!