PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JX - Photoshop CC idle causes 95degree GPU temp and constant fan noise

byronjt
02-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought an ASUSG750JX. Overall I'm really happy with the purchase and one of the reasons I bought it was because it was a quiet machine and wasn't going to overheat. My old Dell XPS16 had the awesome design where the laptop screen blocked the air vent which caused the machine to underclock itself when it hit 80 degrees.

Anyway I use photoshop alot and I'm wanting to know if what i'm seeing is normal.

Basically when I open up Photoshop CC the GPU temp goes from around 40-60idle to 95 degrees. I'm not actually doing anything in photoshop and haven't even created a fresh canvas etc. The fan also revs up and it stay this way until I"m finished with PS and close it again. Once closing the heat instantly decreases back down to the 40-60 degree range.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal? Looking at reviews of gaming people say they are worried about 75 degree range so for me this seems fairly worrying that i'm well over that and doing very little.

I'm using HWMonitor for the temps. In saying all of this apart from the irritable fan noise I don't see any adverse affects from the issue.

Cheers

Byron

byronjt
02-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Tonight actually playing my first game with it, League of Legends, I suffered a complete shut down. Power just cut straight out even though battery was on full and power supply was plugged in. I bought this laptop as an official refurb so I'm somewhat concerned I've got some overheating issues. Any help would be appreciated

Hurricane7
02-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Don't know if you did that, but have you tried to update your gpu drivers? That might help

Nate152
02-05-2014, 11:25 AM
That is cause for concern, call tech support and see what they suggest. It looks and sounds like your gpu is overheating.

Myk SilentShadow
02-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Might be time to crack it open and remove thermal pads and paste and apply fresh...though for the age, that's pretty shocking to need replacing.

byronjt
02-05-2014, 12:06 PM
I tried FurMark tonight 1.12 and the GPU got to 106 degrees and then the computer complete shutdown again. Twice shutdown with league of legends and once with the FurMark but it's safe to say that I've got some big issues. I think it could be a thermal paste I'm not sure but I've never done that before and I'm not confident to do it myself nor do I feel I should need to on a new laptop. It's night here in australia so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to call tech support. For my first ASUS it's not a good introduction and I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

byronjt
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Oh and yes I updated to the latest GPU drives today and gave the bios update a go too but none have fixed the problem.

Myk SilentShadow
02-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I tried FurMark tonight 1.12 and the GPU got to 106 degrees and then the computer complete shutdown again. Twice shutdown with league of legends and once with the FurMark but it's safe to say that I've got some big issues. I think it could be a thermal paste I'm not sure but I've never done that before and I'm not confident to do it myself nor do I feel I should need to on a new laptop. It's night here in australia so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to call tech support. For my first ASUS it's not a good introduction and I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Mate, it's not just your first ASUS laptop...it's a refurb...you got no clue what may have happened to it before you got your hands on it. Where'd you buy it from and how long ago?

byronjt
02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey Myk. yeah you're right I appreciate what you're saying about the refurb. I took a chance thinking it would be OK and unfortunately I've been burnt. I realise that both you and I live in VIC, AUS too. I've called ASUS this morning and they've given me a service number and an RMA and will be picking it up today or tomorrow. Then I'm told it takes 7-10 days for repair. Will let the forums know the outcome for future reference.

byronjt
02-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

So I finally got my laptop back today however I'm still really concerned with the temperates.

Stress Testing it with FurMark I got the GPU up to 103 degrees, no crash this time however. Then playing league of legends its consistently sitting around 95 degrees but I'm running everything on full graphics too.

Still got the problem with Photoshop opening and it rockets up to 95 degrees just sitting idle.

I'm not overly confident that this problem is resolved but I haven't been able to get it to crash again either. Speaking with a local ASUS shop they said that it's probably poor thermal paste from the service center. They said they can take a look at it but they also say that it can void the warranty.

I spoke to ASUS about it and they are going to have one of their australian technicians give me a call to chat about it but I might end up pushing for a brand new computer as I've lost faith in their refurb/service process.

snips86x
02-28-2014, 06:08 AM
This seems like an issue which has risen a few time, it's being referred to as a 'Bitcoin Mining Virus'. OcUK forums have had a few posts about this, but try 'combofix' and see what it comes back with. May be nothing, but worth a punt.

byronjt
02-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's not malware however as I rebuilt the machine clean when I first received it. It's since been for a full ram and gpu replacement and come back and it's still overheating. Although I can't get the machine to shut down I could definitely see it throttle back when testing it with some battifield 3.

Unfortunately because I bought a refurbished I've only got myself to blame but I'm hoping to get a full replacement from ASUS now as the machine is under warranty.

byronjt
03-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Played BF3 tonight on this laptop and no matter what settings I selected the GPU was always at 103 degrees. There was obviously lag playing on ultra but even at the recommended settings I felt like it was clocking back. Tell me if I'm wrong but nobody's ASUSG750JX is operating at 103 degrees while playing games are they?

I'll be requesting a full machine replacement tomorrow and want to make sure I'm not in the wrong. Thanks to all your help so far.

byronjt
03-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Laptop has once again returned for repair because the temperature was at 103 degrees for the majority of all video card activities. Although I've requested multiple times now to have this machine replaced completely the local australia service centre continues to want to repair it.

What I don't understand is why they don't have spare parts available but instead the customer is forced to wait for new parts to be ordered each time the laptop goes for repair. Unfortunately I've had to delay long term travel and flights as well as my business being affected by these laptop problems.

I know that Dell gets a bad wrap some days but in my opinion their services (not necessarily their laptops) in terms of repair and support is much better than what ASUS has provided to me. For a premium laptop such as this which in Australia we pay 2500 retail for one of these machines then you'd expect the service might be a little bit better than what they are offering.

I've no doubt I'll love the laptop when and if it's working correctly but so far the experience has been highly frustrating and upsetting for me.

byronjt
03-14-2014, 04:34 AM
ASUS finally agreed to a full system replacement on 12th of March Australian time and I was told that someone would call me in the next "few" business days. I'm happy that ASUS finally agreed to replaced the unit but each step of the process is just a waiting game. Unfortunately because I'm suppose to be on long term travel my patience is thin for wait time. It would be nice if they could specify how long each step would be.

byronjt
03-20-2014, 10:12 AM
I got the new laptop today. Finally the issue with the overheating is solved. ASUS Sent me a brand new laptop. The disappointing thing out of all of this was that my old system had 1TB SSD hard drive + 1TB SATA drive and this new one had 2 x SATA drives but had an additional 16GB of ram taking it to 32GB instead of 16 like the original. Obviously the 1TB SSD drive far outweighs the costs and advantage of an extra 16GB memory. I knew that but I'm in a rush to go on long term travel so I had to take it and they were fairly unresponsive to send the drive to me at a later date or anything like that. Testing with FurMark I couldn't get the card over 70 degress. Photoshop also stays around 50 degrees and doesn't spike to 93 degrees like the old laptop. Problem solved but it took a brand new laptop to do it.

Unfortunately tonight with my new laptop I'm unable to activate it. I get an error message saying the key has been blocked by the activation server. I spoke to Microsoft but they said because it was OEM I had to speak with the manufacturer. I've logged a ticket with ASUS to resolve and I'll call them tomorrow too and see if I can get it fixed. I understand this issue has happened with a number of users across different manufacturers so i won't blame asus entirely but it's certainly been a bumpy road so far. I hope this issue can be resolved and I don't have to fork out for a new license.

byronjt
03-23-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what the problem was exactly but I had to take my brand new laptop into ASUS service center again and somehow they had to encrypt my activation key to the motherboard or something like that. They put a USB thumb drive into the system and the whole process took around fifteen minutes or so. Either way it's resolved.

Final issue is to fix my DOA battery which they'll post in the next few weeks. It's been a saga but so far I'm really happy with my new laptop and hope that moving forward it can turn around my experience with asus so far. I do accept some of the blame for taking a refurbished one originally