PDA

View Full Version : Don't like Windows 8, Want Windows 7

trino98@sbcglobal.net
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Can I load Windows 7 Ultimate on my G750JW and my system still be stable? I have a lot of old programs and games that, if they will load on Windows 8, won't run even in compatibility mode. Some of them will not even load. So I want my XP back. Since Microsoft is not going to be supporting XP much longer Windows 7 is as close as I can get, at least my programs will work. Anyways! Can anyone tell me if my system will work with 7?

Nehmia
02-05-2014, 11:16 PM
learn how to google

https://www.google.com/insidesearch/tipstricks/all.html

chrsplmr
02-06-2014, 12:51 AM
If its the gui you dislike, update to 8.1
From what I have seen and 'the word' of those I highly respect [ie .. HiViz .. etc.]
8 is better .. and cleaner once you get rid of that 'stupid' touch screen ..

Right click on the task bar, click properties, click navigation ... go straight to desktop.

And if logging in everytime you boot 'bugs' you, like it did me .. check this out.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905.aspx

Best of Luck. .c.

Rockford
02-06-2014, 01:01 AM
TS. I can understand you..

For once the great Microsoft masterplan, became a Masterflop for regular home users? with a tail of many of the big brands (too many chefs?).. listening to the users? (weeeeeee want a faster booooot), or simply cash hungry, who knows? Win ME works better.....:D

Win 7.. Yes, Keeping mine until i see something new out there..

am i missing something, or> You install the OS, just to remove a part of the OS?, to get the OS you want?

Its getting compatible in reverse also.. LOL in fact not at all so compatible with drivers and apps

one of my brothers is a VD at a large company, he likes win 8.1 a lot, he is more into business that OC, so is that group the main target? i dunno

If you ask me, that OS is a serious FCK up with the solutions the HW manufacturers offer today, but thats only my personal POV

i have been using computer long before Win 95 showed up (Sinclair ZX 81), and when a new Win release hit the market (back then when win was established on the market), many was skeptical at first (old habits die hard and stuff), but after some time, then the new win release gained the users trust and ever so often turned out great in the end (well considering).. and became the standard for that days computers and users..

10 print "Is this the case with Win 8?, no i dont think so"
20 goto 10
run

angrylemon
02-06-2014, 04:49 AM
If you dislike windows 8's gui boot to desktop with a start menu replacement such as classic shell (comes with boot to desktop itself), never have to use that new start menu and it feels like 7.

PS. There are many skins for the program on their forum.

Prostar Computer
02-06-2014, 07:20 PM
You can do one of two things:

1. Yes, you can load Windows 7 on the laptop. The difficulty arrives in the form of finding drivers, as Asus does not supply them on the product's support page.

2. You can keep Windows 8 and use a virtual machine to run Windows XP, but how well your applications will run inside the virtual machine is up to trial. You do need either a pro edition or enterprise edition of Windows 8 to run a virtual machine, though.

xeromist
02-06-2014, 08:12 PM
If you dislike windows 8's gui boot to desktop with a start menu replacement such as classic shell (comes with boot to desktop itself), never have to use that new start menu and it feels like 7.

PS. There are many skins for the program on their forum.

This.

speedmanz
02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
I also agree with the OP on this thread.

For a different sort of reply than what has been made so far:

I found that all drivers here that list as 7 or 8 do work for 7.
But that leaves out a few devices. Wifi, Bluetooth, and USB.

This driver here has both the wifi and bluetooth. But you need to extract this to a folder.
Then manually point device manager to find the driver it needs. Running the installer for the driver will not work.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=6T70N

Currently I am still looking for the USB solution. But default windows usb seems to work fine.
I have all but this device installed at this time under Win7 standard NO service pack yet by using the 7+8 drivers here and the one in that link.

Edit: btw this is on a G750JX

Nehmia
02-07-2014, 12:43 PM
here is the USB driver for windows 7 for all G750 laptops:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8/USB3.0/USB3_Intel_Win7_64_VER25019.zip

TimeShift
02-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I also agree with the OP on this thread.

For a different sort of reply than what has been made so far:

I found that all drivers here that list as 7 or 8 do work for 7.
But that leaves out a few devices. Wifi, Bluetooth, and USB.

This driver here has both the wifi and bluetooth. But you need to extract this to a folder.
Then manually point device manager to find the driver it needs. Running the installer for the driver will not work.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=6T70N

Currently I am still looking for the USB solution. But default windows usb seems to work fine.
I have all but this device installed at this time under Win7 standard NO service pack yet by using the 7+8 drivers here and the one in that link.

Edit: btw this is on a G750JX

hey !

so you sure that all the drivers from Win 8 are fully compatible with Win 7 ( Ulti/Pro etc ) 64 ?
cause i do want to install win 7 , i don't like win 8 at all .

what about the rest of the drivers ( wifi and bluetooth ) ? have you found , in the end , the drivers ?
if you did , can you pls post the link for them so i and the rest of win 7 fans can have them ?
ty man !

TimeShift
02-09-2014, 05:15 PM
for those who are fresh out of the box and looking for drivers for Windows 7 for ASUS ROG 750JX , here's some extra infos :
************* has a forum with some answers , you might want to check it out . ( space put there between letters due to the fact that the forum's engine thinks i'm doing a website spam or something .
link (http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?p=230) ( replace the * from the link with the ************ , but without spaces )
(help provided by Nehmia . ty)

new link , that doesn't require modification , will leave the other one just in case :

link , also provided by Nehmia
someone give this guy a beer !

Mod note: do not bypass the swear filter. Entries in the filter are there for a reason. See follow up post HERE (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43634-Don-t-like-Windows-8-Want-Windows-7&p=373217&viewfull=1#post373217).

Nehmia
02-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah the mods here not only want to bury the lack of support for Windows 7 which ASUS gave us, but they also want to ban a helpful website which contains a step by step guide of how to Install Windows 7 and its tested drivers just because the owner has a donation link!

Mod note: Incorrect characterization. See follow up post HERE (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43634-Don-t-like-Windows-8-Want-Windows-7&p=373217&viewfull=1#post373217).

LOL

So what? all non-profit sites on the internet have a donation link!

Pale Moon (the popular Firefox based browser with optimized code is one of them) yet you don't see them banned from forums!

gazzacbr
02-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Hi,
I have windows 7 on MY laptop (see sig) and everything works. device manager is clear.
BUT... as i have said before, G750 is just a generic name for a range of laptops.
they are not all the same, they have different combinations of hard drives, wifi, bluetooth, and they have only USB 3 ports which are not supported oob in windows 7, etc.
check your device manager one by one and make sure that the drivers are available for YOUR laptop.

generally, i beleive that with a bit of effort, and google, you can find drivers for all the parts inside any G750.
maybe report back here if there is something that really doesnt work.

miztrniceguy
02-10-2014, 04:59 AM
I bought my G750 from Prostar with 7 Pro on an SSD and 16 GB ram and love it!!!!!!! I have had it less than a week, but it sure is sweeeeet

Nehmia
02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
I bought my G750 from Prostar with 7 Pro on an SSD and 16 GB ram and love it!!!!!!! I have had it less than a week, but it sure is sweeeeet

can you list all the drivers and software versions they installed? example, what ATK version?

you can find them all in control panel / programs and features

miztrniceguy
02-10-2014, 12:36 PM
here ya go

miztrniceguy
02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
some programs, like CCleaner I installed, some transferred from XP laptop. But that list doesn't show drivers, actually. You might ask Prostar. They post here.

Nehmia
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
That image is missing the versions bro. check your PM please

miztrniceguy
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM

I made a driver list using a utility called Driver View

Nehmia
02-10-2014, 01:12 PM

I made a driver list using a utility called Driver View

man that is a very long and complicated list, please check your PM so we can do this via TeamViewer it takes like a minute or so

xeromist
02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah the mods here not only want to bury the lack of support for Windows 7 which ASUS gave us, but they also want to ban a helpful website which contains a step by step guide of how to Install Windows 7 and its tested drivers just because the owner has a donation link!

No, the site is banned because the owner is a jerk who earned himself a permanent ban. Between soliciting payment via PM, being abusive of other members, and using this free user forum to drum up traffic for his private site? Yeah he's a piece of work. And since he created a bunch of sock puppet accounts he could have used any one of them to help folks right here on this forum and no mod would have even known who he was, but he couldn't help but keep posting his outbound links. So don't think he's just trying to help because he's hell bent on using this forum to promote his personal site.

And Nehmia you were already warned by MarshallR on 12/28 not to promote that site, so now you are banned.

miztrniceguy
03-15-2014, 11:36 PM
sorry, not allowing ANYONE to dial in to my computer.

miztrniceguy
03-16-2014, 12:37 AM
I I just realized Nehmia is banned. ok then.

gazzacbr
03-18-2014, 09:30 AM
I I just realized Nehmia is banned. ok then.
+1, oh yes, banned. thats a shame as he was a really helpful guy. giving up his own time for free to help others.

so would 'xeromist TeamROG Moderator' care to let everyone know which site was banned?

i would like to jump in here and give you some pointers for an easy windows 7 install, as on mine.
with everything working. forget the 'not supported' crap. mine works. i do not need support for a fully working system.
but dont really want to get banned for recommending the wrong site.
and i am not going to reinvent the wheel here when the works been done already.

xeromist
03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
He has had a couple of different sites and may change it again in the future so the current website isn't really relevant. We aren't going to ban you for accidentally linking to his site(s). We are not heartless! :) For that matter his sites are filtered so if you type one it will be changed to ***. So unless you deliberately try to get around the filter you can't even do it accidentally.

Note that he's not "giving up his own time for free" as he could do that *here* just like many other helpful users. He's trying to direct traffic to his site to make ad revenue and has also attempted to sell services via PM.