PDA

View Full Version : Transferring HDD loaded with games to new rig...

JDS
02-08-2014, 08:00 PM
So I am currently in the market for a new gaming laptop. (I need to have a laptop because I'm a college student and having a desktop isn't a feasible option). Anyway, I currently have a 750GB HDD loaded with JUST a ton of games (I have and SSD with my OS loaded onto it already). So my problem is that I don't want to redownload these to my new computer when I get it. Is it possible to just toss this HDD into the new computer and straighten a few things up and have it work? If so, how do I go about doing this. Also, on a side note, what laptop would you recommend for me. Thanks!

Clintlgm
02-08-2014, 10:06 PM
There shouldn't be any problem moving a data drive to a new NB, provided the new NB has an empty slot for it to go into. Installed software/games will have to be reinstalled to your new OS.
If it doesn't have a 2nd hard drive slot, put it in a USB 3.0 external Case and run your games from there?

If you wanted to try cloning your current OS drive to something new, I don't know how that would go not real good I would think. However Macrium Relect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)has a deploy to different Hardware mode. If its possible this would be the software to do it with. That might save you from having to reinstall everything?

GottiBoi55
02-09-2014, 08:10 AM
I have all my games on my HDD, and I reinstalled my OS a few times, it works really well.
If your drive is a 2.5 form factor, it should work just fine in your new NB.
Don't think the OS move would work that well, different drivers for the new NB and all.
(The drivers would not be compatible with new NB)

1. First thing you need to do is download all you games clients/download mangers. (IE: Origin, Steam, Games for Windows)
2. logon into the games client/download manger, then click on game icon and run setup.
3. If games client/download manger doesn't detect your game on your HDD, you will need to run installer as Custom install.
4. locate your game location on your HDD with the custom install option, then that should detect your game.

This worked for me just fine, should take just a couple minutes per game to add to new OS, and create new desktop icons!

JDS
02-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Cool beans. I'm gonna go with your instructions GottiBoi55, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

GottiBoi55
02-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Great, keep us posted!

Good luck :cool: