PDA

View Full Version : Anything faster than twin 840SSD Pro Raid drives right now?

Highlander
02-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Just wondering... This is my actual setup. It's been like this for a couple of months. Haven't seen anything significantly faster... Thoughts?

Thanks

GottiBoi55
02-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Just wondering... This is my actual setup. It's been like this for a couple of months. Haven't seen anything significantly faster... Thoughts?

Thanks

Show benchmarks please :cool:

rewben
02-10-2014, 01:28 AM
840 pro should be one of the top 2.5" sata 3 ssd's, in terms of raw powers. on the other hand, a single samsung 840 evo can use RAPID technology to achieve high speed. (now it's available in 840 pro)

these days, we are hoping the adoption of m.2 pcie-based ssd's.

R3d Zombie
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I have both a 256gb 840 Pro and a 120gb 840 Evo, my Evo is faster in Rapid, i reached over 1000mb/s sequential read, 900+ write. It is stunning. I was not able to achieve the same on the 840 Pro using rapid. Still both are blazing fast. My next buy will be the 1TB.

I don't know the other factors that could impact the drives performance though. Both ran in IDE, which im going to remedy to AHCI. Different machines were used as well... but fun to play around with.

TJ Hooker
02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I have both a 256gb 840 Pro and a 120gb 840 Evo, my Evo is faster in Rapid, i reached over 1000mb/s sequential read, 900+ write. It is stunning. I was not able to achieve the same on the 840 Pro using rapid. Still both are blazing fast. My next buy will be the 1TB.

I don't know the other factors that could impact the drives performance though. Both ran in IDE, which im going to remedy to AHCI. Different machines were used as well... but fun to play around with.

I believe RAPID is just a form of RAM caching, which would mean that any benchmarks performed with it on would be more or less benching your RAM, not your SSD. So the difference between your benchmark results could just be because of differences between the RAM in your 2 machines, rather than a difference between the Pro/Evo.

R3d Zombie
02-11-2014, 12:46 AM
I believe RAPID is just a form of RAM caching, which would mean that any benchmarks performed with it on would be more or less benching your RAM, not your SSD. So the difference between your benchmark results could just be because of differences between the RAM in your 2 machines, rather than a difference between the Pro/Evo.

Yea rapid uses the RAM, I actually had less ram in the machine that was using the EVO at the time though. My G46 had more ram and a 3840qm i7. While the Toshiba my wife uses was running a dual core i5 u-type. I might test an EVO on my current setup and see if i get any interesting results.

Highlander
03-27-2014, 05:50 AM
How can I enable Rapid if I am using RAID? Magician just doesn't see the drives ....