PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to upgrade the Gpu in the G750 laptops?

SkyNet
02-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I bought the G750JW laptop since BestBuy only had this model and was wondering if the gpu could be upgraded since its a MXM 3.0 card. My friends tell me it can since they did it with their Alienware laptops but I want to be sure before I even try.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

getjohnalive
02-10-2014, 07:19 AM
it may be difficult to upgrade GPU on G750 series. because it has a modified MXM by ASUS or it is soldered to the motherboard.

sasuke256
02-10-2014, 08:39 AM
You can upgrade it only with asus cards and its not sure at 100% that it will work because of bios limitation may be..
765m is soldered, 770m and 780m are mxm asus cards, may be the 870m can work if its the same tdp and the bios accepts it.

Myk SilentShadow
02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Hey there SkyNet...love the name!!! :cool:

And to answer your question: No, you cannot upgrade the VGA in your laptop without seriously modifying the shell, because the laptop is designed to only house the card that is in it with the cooling attached to it...so a better card would need a bigger cooler to handle the higher thermal output of the card.

Welcome to the Forums!! and heh, i'd always wondered if someone would actually use that name :p