PDA

View Full Version : Max out G750JH. Yes or no and why?

imrobc
02-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Hello.
I'm Rob.
It's time to give myself a present. I have 3k-ish to spend and no wife to tell me no.
I've been researching for 2 months and have settled on the G750JH.
Any reasons why not?
Thanks.

Nate152
02-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Hi imrobc, Welcome to the ROG forum. If you can put a pc together, you could build you a nice machine for 3k monitor included and would look and perform way better. You would be more satisfied with the money you spend.

imrobc
02-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Thanks Nate.
Ya, Get That. I Have IT Degree, CCNA...Blah Blah. I'd Like To Have Portability Tho. Outdoors Allot. Been A FewYears Since Plying My IT Skills. Trying To Catch up. Anywho, Trying To Figure Out If This Is The BesT System. Alien Is Just Too Expensive. I've Looked At Pro Stars Config Yourself Page. I Like The JH. Just Not Sure If Its Best Choice. Looking for Second Opinion B4 Dropping 3k.
Thanks For Replying.
Rob

Nate152
02-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Sure no problem, I'm kinda bored right now and have some time so I will take a look at some and see what I can find to compare with the G750jh.

Nate152
02-12-2014, 06:57 AM
I don't want to steer you away from the G750jh but, I do see an alienware 18 laptop for 2,649.00. It has an 18 inch screen and gtx 770m SLI which would give you almost double the performance when playing games over the G750jh.

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-ALW18-6490sLV-18-4-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00D6HBYE0#productDetailsThe

cronik916
02-12-2014, 06:57 AM
ya i have a desktop rig with serious power and it takes serious power to run it as well as cool it. loud as ****. my g750jw can do everything it can just backing off ultra settings on a couple things in games and it does it way quieter and uses way less power. this thing is like a ninja computer how quiet it is under full load. its really the most amazing thing about it in my mind and it just will not get hot. i cant speak for the 770m/780m's but im sure there not that much hotter. u speak of portability tho as in u want to go campiing and use this? or middle of the park? regardless it will function fine away from a power source with tasks like web surfing and simple games but dont think u will be able to play battlefield 4 on ultra on the battery cuz it aint happening. it will as long as u have power tho. i own a fab shop for offroad vehicles and i ride a streetbike to work every day with laptop in a carrying case and its still running fine after about 8 months. it also sees alot of particle dust and what not from my 3 axis cnc machine but i clean it regualarly and its still in great shape, my baby :) anyway imho as laptops go all the others come in second fiddle to this bad boy because of the heat and noise that it doesnt put out lol hope that help man cheers

cronik916
02-12-2014, 07:01 AM
2 780s in sli in a laptop is rediculous if they arnt liquid cooled which i doubt. i just dont know how that would work playing bf4 with it on your lap. ouch

Nate152
02-12-2014, 07:27 AM
I had to edit my previous post, for that price (2,649.00) it is GTX 770m sli. The one with GTX 780m sli is here and costs more.

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-18-i7-4700MQ-2-40GHz-Gaming/dp/B00ELJGBPO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392190210&sr=1-5&keywords=alienware+18+gtx+780m+sli

imrobc
02-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks Guys!
It's Been 8 Years Since I've Done Any IT Stuff. Im Driving An 18 wheeler Now. When I'm Outdoors, I Have A Generator.I Also Believe That The Computer Should Be Accessable Wherever I'm At. That Said, Im Really Looking For Efficiency, Power, And A Modicum Of Future Proofing. All SSD, 32 RAM, 780M, 3X3 NIC... Etc. Going To Put In The House A Cisco N4200 V2 Router. So I Can Sit On Patio, Etc...

Nate152
02-12-2014, 07:52 AM
OK, here you can configure one how you like :

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/fs

The rate that computer technology advances, there really is no way to future proof.

imrobc
02-13-2014, 03:32 AM
Heres My "Ideal" Configuration. The Best For The Money.

Nate152
02-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Looks like you nailed it rob, It's kinda hard to see but if that says gtx 780m, that was a good choice. You will be able to play any game on ultra quality for quite a while. Far Cry 3 would be a good one to test her out with.

imrobc
02-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi Nate. Thanks.
Yup. 780M
Kinda Fond Of This.
Just Want To Avoid Emotional Purchase. Keep It Smart. Ya Know?
Thats Why Ive Taken Up This Post. Second Opinion Among Peers.
Purchase This Rig In About Two Weeks. Ill Post When I Have Her.

gazzacbr
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
...The rate that computer technology advances, there really is no way to future proof.

+1
does it play what you want it to play today? Yes, just buy it and start playing.

will it play what you think you might want to play in 2 years time? on high, maybe, on medium, probably yes. just buy it.

you cant buy tomorrows computer today, and todays computer will be out of date tomorrow

cant tell from the specs, but did you get a 120hz screen?

Sawlaning
02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Hey gazzacbr,

I will be visiting Dubai soon and I wanted to know which models of the Asus G750 are sold. Also, do you know which stores are selling them?

Thanks.

gazzacbr
02-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi,
I bought mine in Virgin in Dubai Mall in October. They had 3 different versions, 2D 3D and another lower spec.
Cant remember exactly how much mine (see sig) was but when i checked before it was about the same as elsewhere. Even though its 'tax free' here they just bump up the prices.
I actually had decided to get the 2D matte screen version which was cheaper but when I went back to buy it I saw the screen on and decided it was dull.
So I got the 3D glossy version which I am really happy with. Well except for booting OS X (it runs great, just doesnt boot on its own) but thats another long story.
Also, the version I have had more ram and 2 hard disks. And it came with the Nvidia glasses and a free bag and gaming mouse.

Sawlaning
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks a lot for the response. I'm pretty sure the prices must have come down a bit. I was looking at that model and saw it had a 5400rpm HDD. I'm wondering what will be the difference vs 7200rpm even though it comes with an SSD. The reason why I probably won't get the JH model is because of the wireless card problems that I've heard as it doesn't have 802.11ac. Do you know what the pricing will be roughly?