PDA

View Full Version : Remove DVD drive

noone
02-12-2014, 04:58 AM
Thinking of tinkering

I wont ever use the DVD drive, can't think of why I'd use it so thinking of removing it.

If I do, will the side cover stay as is or do i need a blanking piece?

Is access going to be a difficult? Was looking at a teardown of the 75 to repaste, need to take the whole thing appart for that, not interested if there is that much involved.

If there is a reason not to, i'm all ears.

Nate152
02-12-2014, 05:15 AM
I would leave it in there, It's not like it affects performance in any way. If you take it out and go to walmart or best buy and buy a game, how would you install it?

Nillaz
02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
You will definitely need a blanking piece. The DVD bezel attaches to the drive tray and there is no way to attach it to the chassis of your laptop without modification.

Taking the DVD drive out is a piece of cake. If I remember correctly there is a single screw and bracket holding the entire assembly in place. Remove the access panel from the bottom of your laptop and you have easy access to that screw. DO NOT LOSE THIS BRACKET. Once removed the entire drive will just slide out. I can't think of many good reasons for doing this however. It certainly won't be saving you battery life and the weight savings would be negligible.

Norup58
02-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I can't think of many good reasons for doing this however. It certainly won't be saving you battery life and the weight savings would be negligible.

Not disagreeing with your comment just proposing one good reason: if the OP wanted to swapout the DVD drive for an extra HDD.

noone
02-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Thanks.

weight, power, because I can, maybe even help temps a little?

The responses are what I expect TBH, its disabled in device manager but every now and then I knock the button and the tray opens reminding me the useless gear is in there.

Not going to proceed, no gain, too much fuss.

Cheers.

Darnassus
02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
I too bump the button on accident. :c

pscza
02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Take it out and replace it with an empty HDD caddy (the DVD bezel will fit on the HDD caddy)

tugrul
02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
is there any solutions to disable that eject button. cuz i accidentally pressing that all the time and its sux. u can eject it already from os.