PDA

View Full Version : G74SX slow post + BSOD

arhanka
09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Hello! Me again!

Well this is the closest thread I can find related to my problems.
My baby girl is sick.

The probem started yesterday. I booted her to show her off to my friend on how fast she is. And it took serious time. I mean serious time, like a minute or more, from a SSD drive...
And now... blue screens.
As I've stated before, I'm an amateur tops at these things.
Now I've done a hardware checkup, and everything seems to be running smoothly. The only thing arguable is that the fans has been starting to sound a bit sometimes, also started yesterday.

SO the problems are the following: Boot time is extended (most of the times) to sometimes minute(s) and suddenly bluescreens of death appear.

The only thing I've done thats questionable is that I had her in sleepermode, didn't shut her off, and put her in my backpack. That was done out of stupidity and I forgot to turn her off frankly. Don't know if it has anything to do with anything but I kissed her and asked for forgiveness.

xeromist
09-22-2011, 07:33 PM
*moved to dedicated thread since not related to xai mouse*

First, disable restart on BSOD so you can see the error:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Next look in the Windows Event Viewer to see if there is a useful error message:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

grungeboy2
09-23-2011, 12:54 AM
something's wrong with it. try pulling the SSD and run it with the regular hard drive to see if you have the same problems (if you can't because your OS is no longer on the factory drive, i can understand but you'll need to backup your stuff anyway).

to be honest, it sounds like you need to RMA it. but maybe the problem might be with the SSD itself (might be a bad SSD).

i would troubleshoot it by switching back to the old drive and seeing if the problem persists.

Chastity@ASUS
09-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I would see if you can force a TRIM using whatever utility your maker supplies. Or the ssd needs to be force-wiped and reinstalled.

arhanka
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Whats a TRIM and how do I perform it?

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 07:06 PM
TRIM is basically a garbage collection routine for SSD drives. It helps the drive to maximize space and performance. Usually the ssd maker has a DOS command utility to have it do garbage collection, ala TRIM, on demand.

arhanka
09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Seems like i have found the problem. The ssd drive is faulty. Have to take it out and retutn uy. Sucks. Is it hard and or difficult to put one in yourself, and install the os? Ive never installed an os on a completly new harddruve before, and since the ssd isnt a part of the original construction what about the drivers? Is it just plug and play and done?

arhanka
09-27-2011, 10:42 PM
(and i cant stop getting amazed by the superb and good answers. this is seriously the best forum ive ever been a part of.)

JRd1st
09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
If you get an Intel SSD, by all reports it's easy to setup and Intel SSD's come with a utility that transfers your system to the ssd.

Since you have a G74sx I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems installing it.

Whatever model you buy, if you have any problems be sure to come back.

Mikael P.
09-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello,
I hope it's ok that I borrow a bit of space in this thread as I've encountered similar issues (minus the blue screen). It's the same machine too.
The computer started behaving like this yesterday. At boot it displays the Asus logo for a very long time (about a minute) while before it was a very swift process to get into windows. Once I'm in windows there are no adverse effects as far as I can tell.
Are there any diagnostic tools or the like that I could use to try and learn a bit more? I tried looking into the event viewer as per the advice above but was a bit overwhelmed.
Thanks for the help!

arhanka
09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Well Mike my boy, I find it allright.
Now I should tell you, my problems started out exactly as yours.
Second..

I have now a problem again. No recovery cd, only a drivers and utility drive.
So. How do I solve this? I have no idea at all.
So now I got a faulty ssd with my op on, the op on the other harddruve is.. well long gone.
And I will have to sonehow trnsfer it to a new ssd right?

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Well Mike my boy, I find it allright.
Now I should tell you, my problems started out exactly as yours.
Second..

I have now a problem again. No recovery cd, only a drivers and utility drive.
So. How do I solve this? I have no idea at all.
So now I got a faulty ssd with my op on, the op on the other harddruve is.. well long gone.
And I will have to sonehow trnsfer it to a new ssd right?

No problem, but you need another PC to download and burn a Win7 Home Premium install disc. Then use the activation key on thebottom of your laptop.

Here's a fast link for the Win7 Home Premium x64 (http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso) download that Chastity posted HERE (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4443-Error-Reinstalling-Win-7-on-Asus-ROG-G53SW-Laptop&p=31394&viewfull=1#post31394) . It's an ISO file that you'll need to burn to a DVD which will create a Win7 Home Premium x64 Install disc.

Either get a new SSD and install to that or put your HDD back in and put windows on it. Then, once Windows is up and running, install the chipset drivers from HERE (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20019&ProdId=816&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2064-bit*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples ), get the Realtek Lan driver from HERE (http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1) install it, then get your Atheros WiFi driver from HERE (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm) Near the bottom, right side, 9.2.0.419 WHQL under the Win7 32/64bits column.

THEN use Windows Update and install Win7 SP1 first. It's a big one! After that let Windows Update install the rest of the updates, and you can either install your drivers from the Install disc or look for the newer ones in Chastity's Driver/Apps thread (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference). Personally I'd try to find new ones and save the links to the source for future reference. ALSO, with the ASUS apps - ONLY install what you need and get the newer versions.

Believe me, a clean install is the best thing you can do for an Asus laptop. ;)

Mikael P.
09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
hmm. doesn't sound promising that. I guess there isn't much else to do than to sit back and prepare for the smoke then.
Or is there something I could do apart from downloading everything I need for a fresh install?

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
"hmm. doesn't sound promising that. I guess there isn't much else to do than to sit back and prepare for the smoke then.
Or is there something I could do apart from downloading everything I need for a fresh install? "

@Mikael P.,
Do you have an SSD installed too? You didn't say in your post. If so, which type?

Do you by any chance have a Steel Series mouse installed?

Mikael P.
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I do indeed have one. An Intel SSD SA2CW160G3.

No I don't have a steel series mouse installed. I do have a bunch of other peripherals installed though, through a usb hub. Would a list help?

Thanks for your response!

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Well, do you have any external usb drives installed and on? That sometimes causes a slow POST/boot. Hmmmmm , it could be the hub, too. I have a Toshiba Dyanadock, though, and it doesn't slow things up. But you never know what a USB device might do before windows starts.

Intel SSD's are the most reliable, so I doubt it's a bad one. I know nothing about operating SSD's yet, so I'll tell you should maybe go to the Intel site and look there if the USB experiments don't help. Or wait until Chastity or someone in the know about SSD's can help.

Good Luck, Mike! ;)

Mikael P.
09-28-2011, 03:24 PM
No, no external drives.
Well, I've been using this hub with all peripherals since I bought the machine more or less and there hasn't been any issues until yesterday. I've been telling myself to test it without the hub attached but I'm lazy and I only turn on the machine in the morning anyway so it's easy to forget. I guess that should be next!

Chastity@ASUS
09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Sounds to me you may need to run fixmbr and/or fixboot from the Windows 7 disc to fix your boot-up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

joakim321
09-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Bumping for Mikael Ps post! I have the same problem, after i updated bios and other drivers.

Mikael P.
09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks a lot for the help Chastity! The FixMbr command did the trick.

arhanka
10-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Well it seems that a flashing of the SSD helped the problem somewhat. Now it only stalls every five upstarts or so, and no bluescreen. SO maybe I cried wolf a bit too early. But I guess we'll see.

arhanka
10-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Update, seems problems returned, Guess it's the ssd after all..