PDA

View Full Version : problem with ext HDD plugged in USB 3 port

Mylar188
09-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a very annoying issue with a WD MyPassport 1TB USB 3.0 ext HDD.

It is installed just fine and works somehow properly except for one fact:

When I copy files onto it or read a video from it, it will disconnect-reconnect instantly every now and then, interrupting the transfer or the video (windows plays the sounds of unplugging/plugging in a usb device).

Basically, the drive is rendered almost useless and I can't find any satisfying answer as to what causes such behavior and how to fix it.
I used it on a friend's Asus G73 and was able to transfer large amounts of data whithout any interruption on the usb 3.0 port. Also, the drive works fine on usb 2.0 ports but I lose the benefits of usb 3 speeds of course.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what could cause that issue and provide a way to fix it.

I own a G74Sx, I updated the Fresco USB 3.0 drivers as recommended by Chastity on another thread (by uninstalling former ones and then installing updated ones). I also disabled the power management feature of shutting down HDDs to save power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I find this issue to be infuriating^^

Thanks in advance,

Vincent.

JRd1st
09-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Since that drive is plugged into a usb port, perhaps the power management for the usb ports is causing this.

Mylar188
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Well nevermind that.

Apparently the end of the usb cable that plugs into the HDD's case is a little wobbly and caused the pins associated with usb 3.0 not to connect properly sometimes, explaining the errors I was describing, and the fact that they were occurring in an irregular fashion. It also explains why the drive worked fine in USB 2.0 ports. So I just taped a little piece of cardboard to the case as to support the plug and it's been working like a charm ever since.

Talk about a dumb issue^^

At least, it might save some trouble to a couple of people experiencing the same issue with that model of ext. HDD.

EDIT : Thank you JRd1st, I missed your reply since I was typing this post but as you can see I found a solution to the problem.

Mike005
09-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I had this same problem yesterday and after messing with it for several hours, and talking to ASUS tech support, couldn't get it to work. What did work, was buying a new external seagate hard drive that is self powered. It seems that the 3.0 port has a problem supplying enough power.

Chastity@ASUS
09-23-2011, 08:01 PM
For USB HDDs, Seagate has been getting my business. I have a 250 + 2x 880's and never an issue, tho they're 2.0 devices