PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading SSD, Fresh windows 8.1 install

Aspec1989
02-19-2014, 03:53 AM
purchased the G750JW from BB, im picking it up friday, also gonna order either 1 480gb SSD or 2 240gb SSD, plan on purchasing windows 8.1 with them as well, cant find a real answer unless i missed it but i plan on setting the computer up with the factory 1TB HDD then removing it and putting the SSD in and installing a fresh windows 8.1 64bit version, seen someone say the factory windows 8 cd key is hard coded into the bios...

so basically... will that stop me from doing a fresh install of 8.1 and if so what do i need to do to get it installed?

sorry if its posted somewhere, but all i can find info on is people using a flash drive to transfer the original HDD, i rather just buy 8.1 and do a new install myself.

noone
02-19-2014, 06:35 AM
You have 8.1 discs?
There are heaps of threads on moving to SSD, use Google to search the site, the internal search feature is not fantastic.

Aspec1989
02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm buying the windows 8.1 disc when i pick my laptop up friday, they didnt have any of the laptops instock, the SSD is on its way from newegg already.

I've found tons of posts about switching to SSD... but all the ones i found are all about getting a USB flash drive and using Asus's utility to put windows 8 back on the new SSD, nothing about doing a fresh install of 8.1 using discs.

i just basically need to know if factory windows CD key being hard coded into bios will be a problem when i put the disc in and try to install 8.1 and if so how do you get around it

ill try to do a search again for it while on our way to job site but if you or anyone else can link me to a post about it id appreciate it.

Maxter
02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
You don't need to buy the windows 8.1 disc (don't waster your money). You can download it straight from microsoft. The Windows CD key is embedded within the mobo. You download the file from microsoft and put it on a flashdrive (same way as the win8 is explained).

Maxter
02-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Here is the link to the forum that explains everything http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39835-Clean-Install-Finding-an-Official-Windows-8.1-OEM-ISO/page3&highlight=8.1+clean