PDA

View Full Version : Asus RoG G74sx Problems with AC adapter or plug not charging when playing games

GDF808
02-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi I have a g74sx and lately i've been having the battery/ac mode switch problem.. I've searched the forums on the topic a bit but mine is different in that it only switches while I'm in a game. As you can see, this can be irritating cause i slowly lose my battery charge until my comp turns off :((

I've already tried booting the computer without the battery in and it booted fine.. Once I joined a game though the problem occured again except this time my comp immediately turned off because there was no battery hahah. Anyway just wondering where I go from here.. Is it the AC adapter or my plug.. The plug seems pretty snug even if I wiggle it it doesnt mess with the connection.. Btw this is my second adapter and this adapter is only like 2 months old.. Its an identical ASUS adapter bought brand new from AMAZON.. One thing though is that the green light doesnt turn on on the adapter even when it is charging my notebook.. Thanks any help will be appreciated!

btw I have like 2-3 months left on my warranty so any haste in responses would help greatly

cl-Albert
02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi I have a g74sx and lately i've been having the battery/ac mode switch problem.. I've searched the forums on the topic a bit but mine is different in that it only switches while I'm in a game. As you can see, this can be irritating cause i slowly lose my battery charge until my comp turns off :((

Welcome to the forums!
Sounds like you've taken some good steps in the troubleshooting and assume your system only switches from AC mode to battery mode, but not back to AC mode again.

Might be something else, but the problem sounds similar to when you are using an AC adapter with lower than recommended wattage (that gets 'tired' and needs a 'rest' when your system uses more power?), but if you have the correct AC adapter, there could be something wrong with it (again?).
You may want to make sure the output ratings under the AC adapter matches the label under the notebook which should be 19.5V, 7.7A for the 150w adapter.

1. Although it may not be the problem, if you still have the original AC adapter, are in the U.S., and don't mind filling out the paperwork/providing your information, consider contacting U.S. ASUS support at http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9 to ask if you can get an advanced replacement for the AC adapter under warranty (if you don't have the original AC adapter anymore, this isn't going to work).

If it doesn't work out, hopefully, you will still have time to send back the notebook and AC adapter to ASUS under warranty if it's necessary, otherwise you may just want to send everything back before the warranty expires so there is a record in the system.

this adapter is only like 2 months old.. Its an identical ASUS adapter bought brand new from AMAZON.. One thing though is that the green light doesnt turn on on the adapter even when it is charging my notebook..

2. Probably not a big deal, but wondering if the AC adapter light turns on when it isn't even connected to the notebook which probably means the AC adapter light is just bad (or there are other problems with the adapter too?).

3. Although it's not officially recommended by ASUS and should not be necessary, another idea is to buy the larger G75VW 180w AC adapter to provide more power if your notebook really needs it which has been suggested by others on the forums before (although if things were working okay with the 150w adapter before, makes me why you would need a larger adapter now?).
If components have been upgraded or you are overclocking, this might make a difference?

Otherwise, if you aren't doing anything special and it doesn't appear to be an AC adapter problem, send the notebook back to ASUS to get it fixed before the warranty expires.

Well, feel free to discuss or get more opinions.

GDF808
02-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you've taken some good steps in the troubleshooting and assume your system only switches from AC mode to battery mode, but not back to AC mode again.

Oops it actually does switch from AC to battery and back to AC mode constantly while playing games..

My adapter is the correct output rating too..

Also, I've check the adapter light while it's not plugged into that notebook and it doesnt turn on although It has turned on once or twice before when plugged into the note but it hasn't in awhile.

So should I try buying a 180w power supply or save that money and try to send it into Asus?

It's just really bothering me trying to isolate this problem.

GDF808
02-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Also, sorry if this sounds stupid, but how do I contact asus to send my notebook/adapter into them to repair.. I've been looking over the site and can't seem to find it. Im in the US

cl-Albert
02-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Oops it actually does switch from AC to battery and back to AC mode constantly while playing games..

In that case I wouldn't think it's as likely an AC adapter problem.
Not sure if your first AC adapter had the exact same issue as the second one, but try to check if there is a problem with your AC adapter wires by slowly and gently moving them or holding them in certain positions to check if it switches you from AC or battery power (I'm ignoring the fact that the problem happens when you play games and assume that you may not use your notebook as much for other things which may be wrong).

So should I try buying a 180w power supply or save that money and try to send it into Asus?

It's really up to you how you want to go after it, but below are more things to consider before sending it back to ASUS.

1. If the problem doesn't happen often, be sure to provide clear and concise steps for ASUS repair to try when they get your notebook, otherwise, it's possible they may not catch the problem. Consider including a video if it's not too much trouble.

2. It doesn't sound like an obvious AC adpater issue to me so far since I wouldn't normally expect the AC adapter to start charging the battery again once it stopped while still plugged in, so wouldn't buy the 180w power supply myself yet.
I'm wondering if your first AC adapter had the exact same problems as your second AC adapter though and why you bought the second AC adapter if you want to explain this more.

3. You may want to continue discussing, discuss with more people, or talk to ASUS support, but you can reach U.S. ASUS support in different ways from this page: http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9

4. Not sure what kind of guarantee you get for that second AC adapter, but wondering if you can get it replaced under warranty if only for the power light problem.

5. It's probably not very likely or worth the trouble, but if you have a spare hard drive and an easy way to reinstall Windows, you may want to try to eliminate the possibility of any software issues this way.
Upadating drivers from the ASUS download site is another approach.
Don't really have too much experience with this software issue, but from what I understand, if it was a software problem and you saw the system switching between AC and battery, it would not normally drain the battery at all or not very quickly at least.
More investigation and searching is required to get more details about this though.

Yeeah
05-13-2015, 06:42 PM

My adapter is the correct output rating too..

Also, I've check the adapter light while it's not plugged into that notebook and it doesnt turn on although It has turned on once or twice before when plugged into the note but it hasn't in awhile.

It's just really bothering me trying to isolate this problem.

Can easy be a connection problem from charger to pc, should give an indication when you monitor the red charging light, just found out I have to place something under my connecting plug to insure stabile charging, will try to clean the interior of the connection on pc

C4RN1
05-14-2015, 05:43 PM
If you have to place something under your plug then you need to replace your dc jack.

There's a link in my sig "G73 dc jack replacement" that will help you. The G73 and G74 use the same dc jack.