PDA

View Full Version : Only one fan exhausts

Chrono
09-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi guys i got my brand new g74sx - TZ122V Model few days ago
Everythings actually running fine and temps went never more than 60 degrees (both cpu and gpu)
I just noticed that only right side of vent blows hot air , and the left side does nothing at all (neither intake or exhaust , tested with thin paper)
I even opened up speedfan to check it up , it shows me only one fan is working on system , is that normal guys? wasn't that supposed to have 2 fans?

I will appreciate it if you guys will clear me up

grungeboy2
09-25-2011, 01:38 AM
sounds like a hardware failure on the fan. rma it.

i've been advising people to stay away from the G74. they have a high failure rate.

Chrono
09-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow 50+ views , and every of them have no G74sx , and no other opinions?

Please post your thoughts everyone , shuold i rma it back?

Thanks

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 02:17 PM
If people don't know what to tell you, what do you expect them to say? lol

I have a G74SX, and more exhaust DOES come from the left side (facing the back of the laptop) than from the right, but my GPU never gets hot, in fact it's usually cooler than my CPU except when gaming.

Since you're concerned, install HwInfo64 and monitor your temps. I wouldn't RMA unless you see a real problem. If anything, you'll see artifacts (usually colored confetti, randomly popping up) if your GPU is too hot.

I'm not sure, but perhaps, in order to keep the laptop quiet ("stealthy" lol) the GPU fan only turns on when needed.

Chrono
09-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the reply JRd1st ,

First of all u got something wrong , the left side (facing the back of laptop) is GPU side and not cpu , thats why your GPU (and mine) never gets too hot but CPU does

Here is my hwinfo64 screenshot after 30 mins play of Crysis 2
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1722/tempsr.jpg

CPU reached 72 Celcius , GPU 65 C , and you can notice that there is only GPU Fan and no CPU unfortunately

I decided to rma it or sending it back to ASUS for repair

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Do an RMA if they'll let you, but I don't think we have a problem. 72 C isn't hot for playing Crysis for a half hour, lol.

EDIT: OK, I have an old copy of Everest and I'm looking at the sensors with that. I also set ThrottleStop so my system would not throttle, I think (not sure if that is working, but anyway . . .) Everest shows a CPU fan (it reads 2200 RPM most of the time) but no GPU fan, the opposite of HWInfo64.

Which is correct?

To check it out, I'm running the System Stability Test in Everest. Pretty fast, the temps on the CPU went to about 69 C AND the CPU fan went to 3300 varying to 3400 RPM occasionally. The GPU doesn't get stressed in this test so there would be no reason for the GPU fan to increase speed. Also, I can definitely feel some warm exhaust coming from the right side of the back (facing the back), plus I heard that fan kick in.

Conclusion; the fan that HWInfo64 thinks is the GPU Fan is really the CPU fan, OR HWInfo64 and Everest are both reading different fans. Either way there IS a functioning CPU fan in my G74SX-A1 but it's really quiet and barely noticeable unless it needs to be more aggressive.

Hope that clears up something. lol

Whatever you do, good luck Chrono!

Chrono
09-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Could you also upload a screenshot of your hwinfo64 status , i wanna check if it shows a 2nd Fan
So you also said that the right side exhausts more from left side (facing the front of laptop) , that means the left side also works a little bit(when needed it speeds up) am i correct? Mine doesnt work at all

Thank you again

Edit : I just read your edited post :) so the actual question is
'Is there only 1 fan? , if it's not , why one of them works only and lets the cpu burn up to 72 degrees'

I noticed no exhausting or fan kicking in from right side (facing the back) like your laptop does , so unfortunately i have the problem , thanks again bro

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
HwInfo64 only shows 1 fan (under nVidia GPU) and it always reads 100%, but doesn't show a speed in RMP's.

And yes, the right side (facing the front) puts out a LOT more exhaust than the left side. In fact, normally I barely feel anything from the left side.

It could be that your Cooling policy in your powerconfig is set to Passive (slow down CPU before increasing fan speed). Check the System Cooling Policy in the Advanced section of your Power Options. It's in Processor Power Management part of the tree. If it's set to Passive, there's your answer.

Chrono
09-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Ahh here it is.... what a shame of me :o

I just looked carefully at rear on the vent , and noticed that the actual heatsink occupies only 3/5 (bit more than half) of the rear vent , thats why i didnt feel anything from left side , it actually exhausts completly as you explained , so matter settled :)

Thanks for your time JRd1st

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 07:34 PM
No problem. Glad to help. :)

azif
09-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a g53 but im sure its set up in a similar manner. The right side fan is exhaust for the gpu and the left side exhaust is the cpu. My right side (the gpu) blows out a lot more instense and hot than my left side most of the time. If your gpu is under load and your cpu not so much, there is a noticeable difference. If you have the throttlestop program (which you should) click the button that says TS Bench and run it. Both sides should be blowing out hot.

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 02:43 AM
On the G74SX, the CPU and GPU merge into a single, larger exhaust. Think of it like a muffler, and works very well. This is why there is no "left exhaust" :)

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 02:46 AM
sounds like a hardware failure on the fan. rma it.

i've been advising people to stay away from the G74. they have a high failure rate.

No they don't. :p He didn't realize he only has one external exhaust, so the system is working properly. What's worse is that you didn't even notice, and just blurted out a troll remark.

dstrakele
09-26-2011, 03:19 AM
On the G74SX, the CPU and GPU merge into a single, larger exhaust. Think of it like a muffler, and works very well. This is why there is no "left exhaust" :)

Does the G74SX actually have dual fans as described on the ASUS site? SpeedFan detects only one "CPU Fan".

Does the left side "vent" function as the air intake? If not, where does air enter the system? I'd like to put a coarse sponge filter in front of the intake to trap any dog hair from entering my laptop.

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm pretty sure the intake is on top, through that grill above the keyboard.

Be careful that whatever you put over that lets plenty of air through, or you could just limit your dog's time online. lol

dstrakele
09-26-2011, 04:46 AM
I've got a dual fan cooling bay for the HDD on my desktop. It has a coarse foam filter in front of the fans. You can easily see through it - it's way more coarse than the G74SX speaker grille. Air passing through it must give it a charge because it sure attracts the dust. I have to clean it at least once a month (pretty dusty here in AZ desert, I guess). I was thinking of getting similar material for the air intake of my G74SX-A1.

BTW - I never noticed it on my old laptop, but the G74SX often has dusty pawprints on the keyboard when I return home.... :>{)>

grungeboy2
09-26-2011, 10:50 AM
No they don't. :p He didn't realize he only has one external exhaust, so the system is working properly. What's worse is that you didn't even notice, and just blurted out a troll remark.

not really i was under the impression that they intook from another spot and exhaust from the back vents. if i'm not mistaken the G73 and G53 had a seperate intake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIMKg7qLBYk this video talks about it some.

it should be noted that i don't actually own a g74. i'm going from what i've seen on these forums (and as it's been mentioned before, and is certainly worth mentioning again, people who have no problems with their products don't usually come in and say, "everything's working fine, thanks"). that said. the g74 seems to have alot of problems, and i wouldn't hesitate to rma one due to some of these issues.

this guy was talking about a fan not outputting. i wasn't trying to troll the guy, i was trying to tell him, if a fan is failing to spin, rma it.

Chrono
09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry if I've caused misunderstanding due to my language skills , I'm not native speaker

I was just wondering why they made such a big rear vent when you just need 3/5 of it(for heatsink) , letting the rest space for intaking the air? I dont think so (that wouldn't make sense cause it would suck the hot air back which is inefficient)

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry if I've caused misunderstanding due to my language skills , I'm not native speaker

I was just wondering why they made such a big rear vent when you just need 3/5 of it(for heatsink) , letting the rest space for intaking the air? I dont think so (that wouldn't make sense cause it would suck the hot air back which is inefficient)

If you look in the back grate, you'll see radiator fins. If the air gets sucked in through there, on the side that doesn't exhaust, it makes perfect sense. I think just the exhausts of the CPU and GPU get combined.

Seriously, I thought the air comes in from the top someplace because of an image I saw on the ASUS G74SX page. :confused:

dstrakele
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi guys i got my brand new g74sx - TZ122V Model few days ago
Everythings actually running fine and temps went never more than 60 degrees (both cpu and gpu)
I just noticed that only right side of vent blows hot air , and the left side does nothing at all (neither intake or exhaust , tested with thin paper)
I even opened up speedfan to check it up , it shows me only one fan is working on system , is that normal guys? wasn't that supposed to have 2 fans?

I will appreciate it if you guys will clear me up

Like you, I wondered why warm air was exhausrted only from the right vent, even when stress testing the CPU and GPU. After watching the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGyc36KKdRw&feature=player_embedded

and testing with a very light thread, I think I better understand the G74SX cooling system. Anyone please feel free to correct me... I find that warm air is exhausted from the full length of the right vent (when facing the LCD) and from the right 1/3 of the left vent. The left 2/3 of the left vent may provide an entrance for air to enter the computer housing (as may the spaces underneath the chicklet keys, the speaker grille, and open ports on the sides of the laptop).

The video indicates dual fans with golden colored tubes that intake warm air above the CPU and GPU WITHIN the computer housing - so the air intakes for the fans are directly above these chips INSIDE the computer housing. There is no specific air intake that opens to the outside of the computer housing.

The SpeedFan utility detects only one fan on my G74SX-A1 and labels it a "CPU FAN". It may be unable to detect the 2nd fan. What's important is that the GPU and CPU stay well below their maximum operating temperatures when stress tested - so the system is working efficiently.

UPDATE: By shining a light in the left vent, I see the left 2/3 is actually closed off and does not provide any entrance for air into (or exhaust air out of) the computer housing. It is strictly for show.

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 04:05 PM
My G74SX is different from the one in the video; I have a radiator the full length of the vents on back. Maybe the air does come in through the keys, that would tend to keep the keyboard cooler.

Those golden colored tubes are copper (usually) heat pipes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe), not sure if you're saying the same thing. They conduct heat from the heatsinks to the radiator by thermal expansion of a liquid that's in them. The chipset cooler in my desktop didn't even need a fan; it had a heatpipe/radiator setup. Of course that was an
asus motherboard. lol

Chrono
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
I completly agree with your sayings dstrakele , and in my opinion they could make the heatsink longer with bigger fans , the temperatures could be even better with same dB noise levels i think , cause with that way the bigger fans wouldn't have to run that fast :confused:

dstrakele
09-27-2011, 01:24 PM
You have to look at the cost vs. results. The current setup keeps CPU and GPU well within design temperatures at stressed levels. Increasing the size of the heat sink radiator does not offer any additional benefits for the cost.

xeromist
09-27-2011, 04:34 PM
A larger heat sink would also make it heavier and probably bulkier. Those are two factors which directly hurt sales, even in a desktop replacement.

Thorn2011
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah I too noticed that my G74SX vents mostly to the right hand side, that said it is probably worth you guys getting a laptop cooling pad, I have been using a Thermaltake version for a couple of years. For you people who don't know what it is it is basically a flattish housing with 2 big fans sucking air down and venting out, your laptop sits ontop, it is USB powered! Playing Crysis Warhead for 1 hour CPU temp 52 degrees Celsius, GPU 56, not too bad and still quiet.