PDA

View Full Version : G750JX or G750JH?

Sawlaning
02-22-2014, 01:21 AM
I was looking at the G750JX and saw it had a 5400rpm HDD. I'm wondering what will be the difference vs 7200rpm even though it comes with an SSD. Also, The reason why I probably won't get the JH model is because of the wireless card problems that I've heard as it doesn't have 802.11ac. Which model do you prefer?

hmscott
02-22-2014, 02:37 AM
I was looking at the G750JX and saw it had a 5400rpm HDD. I'm wondering what will be the difference vs 7200rpm even though it comes with an SSD. Also, The reason why I probably won't get the JH model is because of the wireless card problems that I've heard as it doesn't have 802.11ac. Which model do you prefer?

The key component different between the JX and the JH is the video card, that is what you are really paying for, everything else is replaceable or the same (CPU).

The main positive between the GTX770m and GTX780m is when running on AC power, the GTX780m OC's to a much higher performance than you can OC the GTX770m.

The negative happens on battery. I had 3 hours of usage with the JX and only get 2+ hours on the JH - that isn't that important to me, but it may be important to you. Neither the JX nor the JH graphics perform on battery, the G750 is best on AC power.

HD's are inexpensive, if you want a fast HD then swap it in and use the slow OEM HD as a backup for recovery / backup storage.

I recommend swapping in an SSD, removing the lag from HD's and slowness are gone, and 512GB SSD's are now cheap enough to afford for most of us. A 256GB is about the smallest I would want to live with on Windows.

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U and I don't mind that the JH only does 300mbps connect via N, since the internet runs at 57.74Mbps

Yeah, and I call my dlink router a netgear for an SSID :)

I got an Asus USB 3.0 USB-AC56 with the router, and hooked it up, but found that even though it connected at 1900mbps (half that actually), the internet still ran at 57.74mbps :)

The JH wireless has an amazingly sensitive receiver, or just great built-in antennas, I can see 100+ AP's from my location, more than the USB-AC56 saw (about 20% less).

Go for the JH, or wait for the JZ... I don't think you will find much more of a discount than a couple hundred on the JH - they will like sell out of stock before the JZ arrives - at a higher price :)

Or go for the JX, OC, add memory and SSD with the price difference and get the JZ or it's successor later :)

Sawlaning
02-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot for the response. I really don't want to spend a lot right now so I'll be using the laptop for now and then later on I might replace the HDD. i heard that it's good to keep an HDD+SDD combo as SSD could lose all of the data. But I just wish the JH model had the wireless AC as new laptops have it. Graphic cards are always coming out and I'm happy with GTX770M. This is the deal I'm getting which looks good to me http://ecart.ae/asus-g750jx-cv050h-laptop-3d-core-i7-24gb-1tb-256s-173-inches-windows-8

hmscott
02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the response. I really don't want to spend a lot right now so I'll be using the laptop for now and then later on I might replace the HDD. i heard that it's good to keep an HDD+SDD combo as SSD could lose all of the data. But I just wish the JH model had the wireless AC as new laptops have it. Graphic cards are always coming out and I'm happy with GTX770M. This is the deal I'm getting which looks good to me http://ecart.ae/asus-g750jx-cv050h-laptop-3d-core-i7-24gb-1tb-256s-173-inches-windows-8

Converting the $AED to $US comes to $2395, which is more than I paid for my JH, and this is listed as a Asus G750Jx-Cv050H - does it have a 770M instead of a 780m? That is kinda steep, price wise you should be getting a 780m...

I looked on that site for a JH configuration, but didn't find one. How much is a JH with a 780m?

Wireless AC is nice, but not that important for me, I tried the Asus USB 3.0 USB-AC56, and it connected at AC1200 with my RT-AC68, but unless you have a local LAN server that you need super high speed xfers, it won't make your internet connection any faster. I am very happy with the Killer 1202 card in the JH :)

I have used SSD's for many years now, and I have had far more HD's fail than SSD's - but it is always good to back up your configuration regularly no matter the media. I pulled the 1TB HD and replaced it with a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, and use the 1TB externally in a USB 3.0 enclosure for backups.

If you are happy with the 770m performance, you can OC to be even happier - the Asus GPU Tweak Tool makes it easy and gives a nice FPS boost when needed.

I was happy with my 770m in the JX, and only upgraded because I had the chance to do it and save $250 off the normal JH price - seemed like a good idea at the time.

Either way, the JX or JH, or one of the new JM, JS, JZ's, I am sure you will be happy after you configure it as you like it - and it will last many years.

Please come back and let us know what you get, and how you like it :)