PDA

View Full Version : Need some help - 3D output to 3D ready TV with G73SW-A1

anderdea
09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I was under the impression that the NON 3D G73SW could output 3D to a 3D ready TV. I have a Mitz 72" TV that is 3D ready using the Mitz adaper. I know it works as I have been using my PS3 to play 3D BD's through it. I thought that the standad G73SW could output a 3D BD disc (use laptop as a player) to a 3D TV. When I put in a 3D disc and it fires Roxio CinePlayer I get a message saying that I need a 3D ready TV??? What am I doing wrong? I've toggled the 3D - 2D button in CinePlayer but it still gives the same message. Also I know the laptop will output 3D. If I play the "3D Demo.mwv" file I downloaded, it plays fine running through Windows Media Player.

Any suggestions?

anderdea
09-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Well I was able get the 3D output to work by going to settings within Cineplayer and selecting a 65" Mitz in the pull down menu in the 3D area. I also selected the check box to simulate 3D from 2D which doesn't work. The 3D does work but I get a mismatch of the image at the mid screen point (sharp line horizontally mismatching the lower half and upper half of the image) and it make the 3D almost not watchable. Very disappointed.

grungeboy2
09-25-2011, 01:34 AM
ok man, let's see if i can help.

first off are you using the HDMI cable to output? secondly, any Nvidia GPU (8800GT or newer) can output in 3d. now if you're trying to output to shutter glasses, that's a little different.

for the shutter glasses to work the tv needs to be 120Hz (considering you said it's a 3dtv, i bet it is) but your laptop may need software to work the emitter on the tv. head over to nvidia's website and take a look around. they've got a section on using 3dtv.

also maybe try setting the refresh to 60Hz, since it's a 120Hz tv it might be able to do this but not 65Hz.

anderdea
09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I am pretty comfortable with and undersand the 3D workings and concept as I have been watching 3D on the Mitz RPTV using my Sony PS3 as the source device for about a year now. I did get the output of my G73SW to recognize the Mitz and produce 3D using "Normal 3D" mode. My Mitz TV does refresh at 120 Htz as that's a prereq for 3D support. As I said in answering my own post, the issue I have is (and I am using an HDMI cable directly to the Mitz adapter) is the split horizontal screen distortion on the Mitz 72" TV in 3D mode that I don't get using my PS3. I do see normal 3D except for this issue. I am assuming it doesn't make a difference if my new source (G73SW) can outout 120 htz or not as the Mitz only reacts to the incoming signal. If I am incorrect, is there a way to check the G73SW to see if it can, or should be outputting 120 Htz. It is the NON 3D model.

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Have you tried using a HDMI cable that is certified for 1.3c or 1.4 HDMI?

grungeboy2
09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Have you tried using a HDMI cable that is certified for 1.3c or 1.4 HDMI?

this is where i was going with it.

the laptop should be able to output. what might not work tho is that the laptop may not talk you your tv properly. you might need one of the Nvidia 3d Vision kits for it all to work right. i'm not 100% on that tho.

i would imagine that you're using the HDMI cord from the PS3. as of right now, Nvidia has some weird things going on with their drivers in regards to 3d. i think they're going to open some more of the capabilities back up (like they used to be in the older days of 185 drivers) but i'm really not sure, i don't work there or anything.

maybe pack up the laptop and check with one of your local electronics, big-box, stores. maybe they can help you get the right cable and let you hook up to one of their tv's to verify that it works.

anderdea
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not really sure if the HDMI cable is 1.4 compliant but it has been working with no issues with my PS3. My Mitz 73" RPTV is about two years old and needs the adapter box interface between the source (ie., PS3 or G73) to work properly. In the TV menu, the HDMI input needs to be turned on to 3D mode and the control of the different 3D formats is handled by the Mitz adapter and remote control. Haven't really had any issues until now. I was hoping to use the laptop as a replacement source for my 3d library.

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 07:57 PM
If it works with the PS3, then the cable should be OK. Have you tried not using the adapter, and connecting directly to a HDMI port on the TV, or better yet, an A/V receiver which connects to the TV?

anderdea
09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
My Onkyo receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 compatible and I already know it won't pass my total PS3 3D HDMI output. I have to go directly to the Mitz HDMI adapter with the HDMI cable a run a separate Optical cable to the Onkyo from the PS3. So I know the receiver won't work with the HDMI output from the G73. Going directly to the Mitz from the G73 isn't an option ether as the older 3D TV's Mitz, Samsung etc., have a separate input that the adapter pluds into (Not the HDMI input) that triggers the 3D from the source. As I said in an earlier post, I does work but the image has a horizontal tear line (Knife edge thin) separating the upper and lower image.

Chastity@ASUS
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
On the laptop, did you play with the refresh rates? I would try 59Hz instead of 60Hz for starters, or the next setting under 120Hz.

Also, you may have better combatibility using the alternate color palette of YCbCr444 instead of RGB.

Also the desktop size may need to be adjusted, using the tools in NVIDIA Control Panel.

anderdea
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the support.
I was finally able to get 3D outputted to my Mitsubishi WD73835 72" 3D RPTV from the HDMI output of my G73SW-A1, to work properly (no longer a mismatch at the middle of the screen).
The first thing I did was download AND SAVE to a folder each of the two Cineplayer updates. One for Dec 2010 and one for April 2011. Open Cineplayer and check for updates. It is important NOT TO just install as an option. I did ths the first time around and Cineplayer was totally uninstalled from my laptop. Nothing left, NADA, gone. I was able the find it on the ASUS support web site under "OTHERS" software and the file download name is deceiving as it is called "Sonic". I downloaded each of the two updates and installed them separatly. Thie final version should be 5.8 A06.

The second thing I did and it will take a L O N G time to install was to update the Nividia driver from 8.17.12.6114 to 8.17.12.6754. I also saved this first and then installed it.

Observations: The 3D is good but doesn't seem to have quite as much depth as when I use my PS3 as the source BD player. I tried the 2D to 3D conversion function within Cineplayer of a standard Blu-ray disc. I can't say as I saw much of a difference. Maybe a little more depth but it could be it's what I wanted to see and it wasn't really happening.

Hope this helps other people that may have had 3D issues.

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
You can find any updates by searching "SonicDVD" on support.asus.com