PDA

View Full Version : Bad Vbios flash!!!!!! thunderbolt egpu, external GPU to boot?

littlevini
02-23-2014, 07:22 AM
My question is, since I messed up the flashing of my Vbios on my G750, can I use a thunderbolt egpu, or and external GPU, to get my laptop booted up to fix the flash? I dont want to buy a replacement GPU, but If I have to where do I go to buy one?

littlevini
02-23-2014, 07:38 AM
awesome thanks, I appreciate that.

Dreamonic
02-23-2014, 08:04 AM
You could try a forced automatic blind flash with NV using a flash drive, its worth a shot

littlevini
02-23-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm trying that now, but I dont think the laptop POSTS, just getting black screen, the laptop powers on but doesn't do anything else. is there anything else I can try?

Dreamonic
02-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Tell me how you set it up.

Usually a blank screen can and even a bad flash can still be recoverable. We can try a few things but first I have to know how you set up the drive to auto flash your ROM so I know if you did it right or not.

EDIT: Since you will be using MS-DOS for your bootable USB, make sure you DL'd the latest version of NVflash for DOS since earlier ones do not support the 700m series.

You also gotta hold the ESC key down after you power on NB. Give it a few seconds and then down arrow once and press enter. If your flash drive has an LED activity indicator, you'll know if it worked or not.

Repeat the same step above but try down arrow twice; This is allowing you to select the USB stick as your boot device.

You also don't want to restart the NB until 1 minute goes by to give a buffer zone for erasing and flashing the GPU eeprom.

littlevini
02-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Well I've tested the bootable USB Drive thats working well, the version of NVFLASH I'm using is 5.163, I did a dry run on another laptop and I get an error, no NVIDIA cards detected. (that was expected because my other laptop has an intel chip), now I'm not using an autoexec.bat file I was just typing it in manually.
so I plugged in my USB key on my G750 and wait a bit till I think i'm booted from the key, the I type nvflash -f -5 -6 test.rom, I again wait a bit they click y and hit enter, then click y and hit enter again, this is supposed to work but I get nothing. I was thinking because the laptop doesn't post that It wouldn't even get to the booting of the USB key, and to top it off my USB key doesn't have a activity light so I dont know if its accessing the device at all.

Dreamonic
02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
I would try making the autoexec.bat and attempt it again. I know when you plug a bootable USB before POST, it'll auto load into it, so try setting up .bat to autoflash as this takes all the guessing out of it.

Normally yes, a corrupt vBIOS can prevent POST from completing, however, at this point we only have a couple options to try; Easy steps first.

littlevini
02-23-2014, 09:10 AM
So I created the autoexec.bat put in the command line, removed my hard drives so that it would only boot on USB, and so far nothing. Also in my autoexec.bat I added this "nvflash -f -5 -6 -A test.rom > test.txt" to have an output to a text file to see if it actually ran, and nothing. so I'm guessing its not going to work. I'm going to try a few more thing but I have to go to bed soon. thanks for all your help. I'm going to call ASUS tomorrow if I can't get it fixed.

Dreamonic
02-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Hmmmm...

I would try just: nvflash -f -5 -6 test.rom > test.txt

Adding in the -A command may likely cause an error since nvflash does not understand it in that sequence.

You must have already seen this: LINK (http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-[guide]-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html)

littlevini
02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
fixed! got it to boot to windows and blindly used the winflash to get it to work! thanks for all your help.

Blacksauceny
02-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Dreamonic is a GURU