PDA

View Full Version : is nobody having trouble with the AC adapter entry?

camu
02-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I've had a G46 for about a year now, a couple of months after purchasing it I had problems with the connection between the laptop and the charger. At some point I was unable to charge my laptop any more, not because of the charger(since I have two) but because the connection just wouldn't connect the charger properly any more, and ended up getting it repaired.

Now I'm a few months in again and I've noticed it;s not always connecting the charger properly again.
This is exactly how the problem started last. First it works 99% of the time, but it slowly became less until at some point I just cant charge the laptop any more rendering it useless at that point.

I dont feel like I'm often inserting the plug in a wrongly or damaging way.
Maybe since the entry plug for the AC is slightly towards the back and I always connect it while facing the laptop from the front.
From now on I'm going to be careful while putting the plug in the laptop, but I'm wondering if I'm just really unlucky or if somebody else is having the same kind of issues?

Clintlgm
02-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Haven't seen this problem often, usually having it repaired a Asus Repair Station would solve the problem for the life of the NB. Perhaps you need to analyze how you are making this connection. Or you could just be very unlucky.
Not sure but I wonder if the repair was merely a temp fix to get you out the door rather that changing out this Port for a new part?

Josias
02-25-2014, 02:12 AM
I have the exact same issue. The problem is at the charging port in the laptop. It wont charge if its held in a certain way. Didn't really think it needed to be repaired since I dont normally carry my laptop around. That its out of warranty and I am afraid it will be too much to have repaired. Sorry to hear that man.

Dr. Zchivago
02-25-2014, 02:17 AM
As I recall from a post about the G46 from six or so months ago, the center pin is thin and relatively frail. I believe the original poster from that thread mentioned the pin's soldered mount had become weak (and, ultimately broken) with use.

I can't find that thread to save my life, though.

camu
02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Haven't seen this problem often, usually having it repaired a Asus Repair Station would solve the problem for the life of the NB. Perhaps you need to analyze how you are making this connection. Or you could just be very unlucky.
Not sure but I wonder if the repair was merely a temp fix to get you out the door rather that changing out this Port for a new part?

The last time when it stopped working completely I sent the laptop back to HIDevolution where I bought the laptop.
The battery had ran out completely by the time and so they couldn't turn the laptop on at all.
They then told me they had to send it to Asus to get it repaired and told me the whole motherboard would be replaced.
I'm not sure if that's what Asus really did in the end though and I guess there is no way of knowing either.

I have the exact same issue. The problem is at the charging port in the laptop. It wont charge if its held in a certain way. Didn't really think it needed to be repaired since I dont normally carry my laptop around. That its out of warranty and I am afraid it will be too much to have repaired. Sorry to hear that man.

If i were you I would not move your laptop at all.
The last few days I have re-plugged it it has been becoming worse again and I feel like if I keep going it will just get worse AGAIN.
I like to take it to bed for a movie or even with me to friends sometimes but I feel like I should let it plugged in on my desk, which is really hard to accept since I bought this laptop because of a laptops portability.

As I recall from a post about the G46 from six or so months ago, the center pin is thin and relatively frail. I believe the original poster from that thread mentioned the pin's soldered mount had become weak (and, ultimately broken) with use.

I can't find that thread to save my life, though.

I feel like there could be an easy solution to fixing this by ourselves. I feel like it's a very small piece of soldered piece that could easily be attached by oneself again. All it needs to do it connect to the charger after all which it stops to do so because of a small misplacement of a small part.

Sorry for any cranky English, not my main language :)