PDA

View Full Version : Should I purchase the G750JX?

yeehz
02-23-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm going to need a computer for college next year (Computer Science/Computer Security Major), so I have decided to look early. I have my mind set on the G75JX, primarily because I owned a 2012 model G75vw and my grandpa (yes my grandpa) owns a G53sx. For the short time that I owned the G75vw (about a year ago), I was absolutely in love with the computer. I decided that it would be best to return it and hold off on a computer until April/May 2014; that way I can get a newer computer. The only two gripes I had about the computer were the size and battery life (which are essential for college). Weight of the laptop does not matter, but being able to fit it on a desk and not die after 2-3 hours is crucial. I have come up with a two part solution below..

1. I will have no problem bringing the computer to my major related classes, as I've been in the building and I've seen some- but few- students with gaming laptops. The problem will be bringing the laptop to my non-major classes (ex: English, lecture halls). The laptop is just too big to be using in those classrooms; it's possible but not a good idea. One solution would be to buy a cheap 11.6 inch laptop and bring that to those classes. I would use OneDrive (formally known as SkyDrive) to sync important files between laptops.

2. Battery life will be an issue for long school days. I will be going to a military college, so classes will run between 0800 hours and 1600 hours with almost no time in between to visit dorm rooms. I won't have a problem charging the computer in major-related classes, but at other times it might be a problem. I understand that I'll be carrying around a heavy laptop, not to include my books and everything else, but I don't want to lug around the power brick. With this, I thought it may be a good idea to get a second battery from Asus. With an SSD, I can simply boot down the computer; pop in a charged battery; and boot it back up in less than a minute. It might be a pain having to charge each battery daily, and I don't know the negative effects this might have on the batteries and computer.

If none of this works, I may be better off just opting for an ultra-book, although I will be VERY disappointed that I won't have a decent graphics card or beastly looking machine. As a future computer science/security major, I predict that I will be on my laptop a lot so I really want to get a PC that I will be pleased with. Please let me know below what you think I should do, any help is appreciated. Hopefully come mid-Spring I will join you folks on this forum! :cool:

Darnassus
02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
The G750JX is a desktop replacement, I wouldn't consider it a laptop. It's not one I'd carry everywhere I go if I was at college. It's 20+ inches big.. so you might have a lot of difficulty having to lug it around, and I perceive an accident in the future.

Note in most cases you cannot get any laptop bag for this, you need some sort of large briefcase.

I don't see the battery lasting 3 hours on the JX, not with media tasks.

What exactly are you doing in your computer sciences? I am not sure you need a dedicated graphics card, but I don't know the course.

The JX is great, and I can assure you it'll serve all your entertainment needs of today at high and sometimes ultra quality when it comes to gaming.. but yeah, I don't feel confident in lugging it around class to class, but I guess this is for you to decide! I'd get another small cheapie laptop with the JX and use the Skydrive / DropBox, yeah.

Skat137321
02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
You will get about 2-2,5h of battery life with the G750JX. I think an ultrabook with 8h+ battery life is more suited for your needs.

yeehz
02-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I know it's going to be tough managing the G75JX as a college laptop, where portability and battery life matter; two things that laptop does not have. Regardless, I will do a bit more research and make up my mind down the road. Thanks again.

hmscott
02-24-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I know it's going to be tough managing the G75JX as a college laptop, where portability and battery life matter; two things that laptop does not have. Regardless, I will do a bit more research and make up my mind down the road. Thanks again.

yeehz, what Darnassus said :)

The G750 is too heavy to move around class to class. I have taken it back and forth to work every day, but don't take it from the desk to meetings or other locations. I use my cell phone, or a tablet, or a Macbook Pro Retina - all light enough to tote around - and unobtrusive when I get there.

The G750 is a great desktop replacement, great for LAN parties (use a top notch lock), and I probably would take it on vacation - but leave it in the hotel - because it is a beast that requires strength to haul around with it's power adapter and associated support accessories.

yeehz
02-24-2014, 04:13 AM
yeehz, what Darnassus said :)

The G750 is too heavy to move around class to class. I have taken it back and forth to work every day, but don't take it from the desk to meetings or other locations. I use my cell phone, or a tablet, or a Macbook Pro Retina - all light enough to tote around - and unobtrusive when I get there.

The G750 is a great desktop replacement, great for LAN parties (use a top notch lock), and I probably would take it on vacation - but leave it in the hotel - because it is a beast that requires strength to haul around with it's power adapter and associated support accessories.

Weight does not matter to me, as I'll be on ruck marches several times a week (60lb+ bags). It's just the battery and the size of the computer that worries me.

In case I do not get the G75, I found this Asus right here..

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JV-DB72T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It's just as sexy as the G75JX, but in a sleek way. It has almost double the battery life, the weight cut in half, and is much smaller (obviously it's a smaller screen, but the height and width of the device as well). However, I loose the 770M graphics card.. which is a real bummer. The 750M that's included in the N550JV is not bad for now, but the longevity for it does not look good (since I'll be keeping the computer for 4-5 years).

I'm so torn between the two!

hmscott
02-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Weight does not matter to me, as I'll be on ruck marches several times a week (60lb+ bags). It's just the battery and the size of the computer that worries me.

In case I do not get the G75, I found this Asus right here..

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JV-DB72T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It's just as sexy as the G75JX, but in a sleek way. It has almost double the battery life, the weight cut in half, and is much smaller (obviously it's a smaller screen, but the height and width of the device as well). However, I loose the 770M graphics card.. which is a real bummer. The 750M that's included in the N550JV is not bad for now, but the longevity for it does not look good (since I'll be keeping the computer for 4-5 years).

I'm so torn between the two!

The 750m won't satisfy the same as even a 765m...

OK, then get it, and it will help build upper body and arm/grip - it does for me.

Please come back and let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you!

Darnassus
02-24-2014, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't go below 770m if you want great entertainment, the 770m and above are truly in a league of it's own.

I refused to get two 750m's in SLI compared to a 770m.

You must be a big bulky guy to not mind carrying this monster about, I guess. ;d

Just remember that this laptop doesn't have integrated GPU, so power consumption will be a little higher I assume.

( It physically does have integrated GPU but it's disconnected and inactive, left dormant. Plays no part in the system )

Darnassus
02-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Yeah I just saw your 4-5 years. I wouldn't touch a 750m if you want to be decently future proof for 3-4 years, especially if you want to push 5.
If you have time, I'd wait for the Maxwell to come out, then maybe the 770m models will drop in price. Not sure when Maxwell will be released in this model so holding out might not be an option for you.

But yeah, if you're a serious gamer and love your virtual entertainment, don't go below a 770m if you appreciate detail and environments.

Could go the extra mile and take a really cheap ultrabook, and hook it up into a remote connection to your G750JX left in your bedroom / dorm. ;d (I've done it, it's actually quite effective if you can use a close matching size screen with good net connection, of course you'd stay local, right? ) Just a crazy idea to avoid buying two expensive laptops.

yeehz
02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
I think the battery life will be sufficient for my uses, and I will probably buy a portable battery pack to bring with me incase I need it.

I figured that a 750M would be crap after a year or two, which is why I wanted a 770M. I did read up on the laptop a bit, and did realize that the GPU isn't intergrated like stated above. This will lead to a increase in power consumption for battery life, but I'll manage.

I cannot bring a video game console until my junior year, so this Asus would be my only form of entertainment until then!

I came onto this forum really looking for reasons not to buy it, but I've only found reasons to buy it! I will still keep my options open, but I believe that I will be set on buying this laptop come May. Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it!

My next decision; should I get the 2013 Asus G750JX or should I wait until Asus releases a new version of it? All I've seen for 2014 is the implementation of the 880M graphics card, and nothing on a refreshed model similar to the JX. I'm assuming that not to much will be different between 2013 and 2014, so I might just pick up the laptop in May instead of waiting until who knows when for the 2014 model.

Darnassus
02-25-2014, 06:18 AM
870m vs 770m

Significantly higher clock speed
941 MHz vs 706 MHz Around 35% higher clock speed

Significantly better floating-point performance
2,529 GFLOPS vs 1,356 GFLOPS More than 85% better floating-point performance

Significantly higher pixel rate
26.3 GPixel/s vs 14.1 GPixel/s More than 85% higher pixel rate

Higher effective memory clock speed
5,000 MHz vs 4,008 MHz Around 25% higher effective memory clock speed

Higher texture rate
80.5 GTexel/s vs 56.5 GTexel/s More than 40% higher texture rate

Significantly higher turbo clock speed
967 MHz vs 797 MHz More than 20% higher turbo clock speed

More texture mapping units
112 vs 80 32 more texture mapping units

More shading units
1,344 vs 960 384 more shading units

Higher memory clock speed
1,250 MHz vs 1,002 MHz Around 25% higher memory clock speed

Numbers may not be 100% accurate though good estimation.

I wish I got the 870m but again, who knows how long it would take to get in the G750 models, and to be distributed. And the price... :c

Darnassus
02-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Also, you're not allowed to bring a Console yet?

Well now that you've arose that part of the battlefield, you need to tell us;

Are you a Console, or a PC gamer? ':x

yeehz
02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Also, you're not allowed to bring a Console yet?

Well now that you've arose that part of the battlefield, you need to tell us;

Are you a Console, or a PC gamer? ':x

Console gamer because I prefer being able to sit back on the couch with a big screen TV. However I love technology and I will be majoring in a computer related field, so I a very familiar with computers. I've always wanted a nice desktop, but I just couldn't afford one until a year ago. I figured instead of buying a desktop and using it for a year and a half before I go to college, I should just stick with consoles. And if it makes you feel any better, no I am not a COD player anymore lol.

Also, the school I will attend this fall does not allow video game consoles until junior year. I will not be paying for Xbox Live by then, and I am incredibly disappointed with the PS4 I received for Christmas. So that leaves me with one option, PC gaming (which would have to be my primary source of entertainment for the first two years).

Once I graduate college, a monster desktop will be one of the first things I buy! I just need this Asus to last me 4-5 years for school and games (in that order lol) without having to worry about upgrading it.

Darnassus
02-26-2014, 05:54 PM
..... smuggle PS4? ;d

Well, for 2 years, I'd say the JX since you're here. The JH maybe not, since you'll get a Desktop eventually.

Hope things are working out.

Pfft Ghost Fish (CoD)

Sawlaning
02-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Hey Darnassus,

I see you know a lot about computers so I just wanted to know if anything needs to be installed/done when replacing a 7200rpm HDD with a 5400rpm HDD? The JX model that I'm getting comes with an SSD too.

Lux55
02-26-2014, 08:40 PM
When are models using the 870 and 880 supposed to be available? Do you expect that Asus will drop the price on the 7xx series models then? Thanks in advance.

polbit
02-27-2014, 01:52 AM
In defense of G750JX battery life, I easily get 4 - 4.5 hours just surfing and doing non-GPU demanding tasks. I'm actually very surprised at the battery life, as I was expecting no more than a couple of hours.

And the obligatory quote with every one of my posts here, I LOVE MY JX! Best laptop I've ever had, even if it's a "tad" bigger than my previous MBP....

juggalofrost
02-27-2014, 08:35 AM
honestly i see people speaking pros and cons but i clock at about 4-5 hrs on a single charge playing games and music and such.perhaps it depends on the model of the G750jx as mine i just got has low voltage consumption ram and such in place. unsure but if your in class your prolly not gonna be on it for 5 hrs straight.i may be wrong in that but ya.portable battery charger would be a good idea though.sure the battery may not last 8 plus hours but most laptop batteries dont especially if your heavy on it and multitask like i do.still a grade a machine.btw go to a place with different size targus bags and check those out.i had a targus laptop bag just lying around and it fits in there snugly like a glove

just realised the person above me pointed out the battery life too.glad im not the only one to notice such XD

hmscott
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
You can carry around extra batteries...

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6392

Darnassus
02-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Hey Darnassus,

I see you know a lot about computers so I just wanted to know if anything needs to be installed/done when replacing a 7200rpm HDD with a 5400rpm HDD? The JX model that I'm getting comes with an SSD too.

I think you might be best creating your own thread for your own question.

Though I believe you don't need to do anything other than show the volume in My Computer's Disk Management (if it doesn't show up)

BIOS may be involved, but I think that's strictly for the main disk.

Darnassus
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM

I was going to suggest that, but that'll ramp up $140 each battery. I guess in the end he'll always have a spare if one spontaneously blows.

Not only that, but this guy makes himself out to be a Tank.. either that or an APC on legs.. so if price isn't an issue, why not..

Hey Yeehz, post a picture of your arms? <3

polbit
02-28-2014, 01:08 AM
LOL Yeah, not sure if I would want to carry the G750 around too much, that's what Blade Pro or 15 inchers are for.

Darnassus
02-28-2014, 05:54 AM
LOL Yeah, not sure if I would want to carry the G750 around too much, that's what Blade Pro or 15 inchers are for.

We just said anything below a 770m licks the stick Dx

yeehz
03-03-2014, 04:45 AM
honestly i see people speaking pros and cons but i clock at about 4-5 hrs on a single charge playing games and music and such.perhaps it depends on the model of the G750jx as mine i just got has low voltage consumption ram and such in place. unsure but if your in class your prolly not gonna be on it for 5 hrs straight.i may be wrong in that but ya.portable battery charger would be a good idea though.sure the battery may not last 8 plus hours but most laptop batteries dont especially if your heavy on it and multitask like i do.still a grade a machine.btw go to a place with different size targus bags and check those out.i had a targus laptop bag just lying around and it fits in there snugly like a glove

just realised the person above me pointed out the battery life too.glad im not the only one to notice such XD

It sounds like you get pretty good battery life.. I wouldn't touch the RAM but I would like to take out the HDD and use it externally instead. I'll only need that space for games, plus I won't be gaming on the go anyways. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to have backpacks up there, so I will need a computer bag.. Kind of like a satchel lol

If you read OP, I said that I might buy another battery instead. However it would be a ***** to charge each one at night and I don't know the negative effects that would have on the batteries. I figure that by the time I need more juice I'll be near a wall charger.

I was going to suggest that, but that'll ramp up $140 each battery. I guess in the end he'll always have a spare if one spontaneously blows.

Not only that, but this guy makes himself out to be a Tank.. either that or an APC on legs.. so if price isn't an issue, why not..

Hey Yeehz, post a picture of your arms? <3

I mean I don't think it takes a tank to carry 10-15 pounds lol. Plus, 10 mile ruck marches at 0600 hours will be much harder than bringing the G750 to class.

---------

I've done some thinking over the past few days, and I've been seriously debating buying a desktop for $1000 or so and then buying an Asus Ultrabook for about $800-$1000 as well. My parents said I'll have to pay anything extra for a computer over $1000. Check out the $1100 build on the front page of pcpartpicker.com . I figure that I really won't be doing too much gaming in college anyway, so it may make sense to just get a desktop for home. Only thing is that I'll only be able to use it 5 months out of the year. Let me know what y'all think!! Thanks for the input I appreciate it

hmscott
03-03-2014, 07:33 AM
...If you read OP, I said that I might buy another battery instead. However it would be a ***** to charge each one at night and I don't know the negative effects that would have on the batteries. I figure that by the time I need more juice I'll be near a wall charger.

I mean I don't think it takes a tank to carry 10-15 pounds lol. Plus, 10 mile ruck marches at 0600 hours will be much harder than bringing the G750 to class.

I've done some thinking over the past few days, and I've been seriously debating buying a desktop for $1000 or so and then buying an Asus Ultrabook for about $800-$1000 as well. My parents said I'll have to pay anything extra for a computer over $1000. Check out the $1100 build on the front page of pcpartpicker.com . I figure that I really won't be doing too much gaming in college anyway, so it may make sense to just get a desktop for home. Only thing is that I'll only be able to use it 5 months out of the year. Let me know what y'all think!! Thanks for the input I appreciate it

Batteries take 15 seconds to swap, and you just keep working. You leave the cord plugged in and drop the charged battery out, and put the battery to be charged in. I rarely needed more than 1 extra battery, but carried 2 just to be sure. And, I left the charger at home, until I got smart and bought a 2nd, and sometimes a 3rd one and left them at my common destinations - so I didn't need to lug it around.

You are going to be tired from the morning hike and in need some relief in between. Lightening the satchel will seem like a good idea pretty quickly. You need room for books and other stuff too.

A tablet like a Windows Surface Pro 2, a Samsung 12.2 Note Pro LTE when it comes out - don't get the current Exynos processor - I returned mine due to lag, or another tablet that has laptop features might be a relatively inexpensive 2nd device as a light carry around.

About a desktop, it is nice to have a backup device in case your laptop is stolen or dropped - so you can keep working while it gets replaced - but you are diluting your $ across two or three devices. You should be able to build killer $500 desktop with a $150 monitor - get a cheap video card for the build to start or use Intel built-in and save $ for a better card later.

Or use the G750 as the desktop replacement, and the tablet to carry around.

I am 6'4" and carry around the G750 + Mac Retina 15" + lots of stuff pared down as far as I can, and whenever anyone else trys to pick it up, they get a big surprise. If I had to add school books to that, IDK what I would leave home :)

yeehz
03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Batteries take 15 seconds to swap, and you just keep working. You leave the cord plugged in and drop the charged battery out, and put the battery to be charged in. I rarely needed more than 1 extra battery, but carried 2 just to be sure. And, I left the charger at home, until I got smart and bought a 2nd, and sometimes a 3rd one and left them at my common destinations - so I didn't need to lug it around.

You are going to be tired from the morning hike and in need some relief in between. Lightening the satchel will seem like a good idea pretty quickly. You need room for books and other stuff too.

A tablet like a Windows Pro 2, a Samsung 12.2 Note Pro LTE when it comes out - don't get the current Exynos processor - I returned mine due to lag, or another tablet that has laptop features might be a relatively inexpensive 2nd device as a light carry around.

About a desktop, it is nice to have a backup device in case your laptop is stolen or dropped - so you can keep working while it gets replaced - but you are diluting your $ across two or three devices. You should be able to build killer $500 desktop with a $150 monitor - get a cheap video card for the build to start or use Intel built-in and save $ for a better card later.

I am 6'4" and carry around the G750 + Mac Retina 15" + lots of stuff pared down as far as I can, and whenever anyone else trys to pick it up, they get a big surprise. If I had to add school books to that, IDK what I would leave home :)

Is it annoying to swap out batteries and charge them both? What is the charge time on each battery from 10% back up to 95% or so?

When it comes to computers, I am not a fan of touch screens at all. I own an iPad Mini w/ Retina and a Moto X, so that's my portable go to device when it comes to music, movies, social networking, etc. However, I keep away from browsing the internet or playing games on those small devices. A keyboard/controller and a large screen is what I prefer.

I agree with you it is nice to have a desktop as well, but keep in mind that the JX laptop will only cost me around $200-250, as my parents are covering $1500 of it now instead of $1000. I also figure too, am I really going to have time for gaming when I'm up there? And if I do, will I really be playing graphically intense games? Going with the Asus N550JV might be the way to go. I'll get a device that is more friendly when it comes to college practicality, and the 750M graphics card will allow me to play some basic games. Plus, it will cost $600 less than the JX, so I'll be able to throw that money into a desktop. As I previously stated, I will be upset that I'll only have 5 months or so each year to use the desktop. I guess I could live with a 750M until junior year when I can bring my PS4 to school.

One big reason why I was looking forward to getting the JX was to hook up the HDMI port to my 46in Samsung TV in my basement and my Bose surround sound. Also, I'll probably go with the graphics card now and use my 32in Samsung TV as a montior for the time being.

Thank you for your feedback I really do appriciate it, even if I don't come across like I do. I'm just weighing all my options, however my mind changes very easily which is why I'm going in depth with this computer situation. I want to make sure that I don't regret my choice. :p

yeehz
03-03-2014, 08:19 PM

A tablet like a Windows Pro 2, a Samsung 12.2 Note Pro LTE when it comes out - don't get the current Exynos processor - I returned mine due to lag, or another tablet that has laptop features might be a relatively inexpensive 2nd device as a light carry around.

Is it annoying to swap out batteries and charge them both? What is the charge time on each battery from 10% back up to 95% or so?

When it comes to computers, I am not a fan of touch screens at all. I own an iPad Mini w/ Retina and a Moto X, so that's my portable go to device when it comes to music, movies, social networking, etc. However, I keep away from browsing the internet or playing games on those small devices. A keyboard/controller and a large screen is what I prefer.

I agree with you it is nice to have a desktop as well, but keep in mind that the JX laptop will only cost me around $200-250, as my parents are covering $1500 of it now instead of $1000. I also figure too, am I really going to have time for gaming when I'm up there? And if I do, will I really be playing graphically intense games? Going with the Asus N550JV might be the way to go. I'll get a device that is more friendly when it comes to college practicality, and the 750M graphics card will allow me to play some basic games. Plus, it will cost $600 less than the JX, so I'll be able to throw that money into a desktop. As I previously stated, I will be upset that I'll only have 5 months or so each year to use the desktop. I guess I could live with a 750M until junior year when I can bring my PS4 to school.

One big reason why I was looking forward to getting the JX was to hook up the HDMI port to my 46in Samsung TV in my basement and my Bose surround sound. Also, I'll probably go with the graphics card now and use my 32in Samsung TV as a montior for the time being.

Thank you for your feedback I really do appriciate it, even if I don't come across like I do. I'm just weighing all my options, however my mind changes very easily which is why I'm going in depth with this computer situation. I want to make sure that I don't regret my choice. :p

yeehz
03-04-2014, 04:21 AM
UPDATE: I think that I am going to go ahead and opt for a gaming desktop instead, and get the Asus N550 as my college laptop. I will be able to preform light gaming on it, which isn't a bad thing. I was talking to a current student, and they said that my freshman year I will have no time to play any sort of computer games. I will also be able to bring my PS4 up sophomore year instead, so dealing with a 745M will be fine. I doubt I will be doing serious gaming up there anyway, as I'll always be occupied.

With the five months out of the year I'll be home, I will be using this desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33MgA

Thank you all for helping me chose a scenario that works best for me!

hmscott
03-04-2014, 04:56 AM
UPDATE: I think that I am going to go ahead and opt for a gaming desktop instead, and get the Asus N550 as my college laptop. I will be able to preform light gaming on it, which isn't a bad thing. I was talking to a current student, and they said that my freshman year I will have no time to play any sort of computer games. I will also be able to bring my PS4 up sophomore year instead, so dealing with a 745M will be fine. I doubt I will be doing serious gaming up there anyway, as I'll always be occupied.

With the five months out of the year I'll be home, I will be using this desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33MgA

Thank you all for helping me chose a scenario that works best for me!

I think that is the same model laptop my daughter bought for college. :)

What is the link for the laptop?

I looked at the build for your desktop, and it all looks great, except I would wait on the video card and use the built in CPU video and wait for the 870, or whatever makes sense when you are ready to actually start playing games again. Those prices for the video cards are a bit high, into the "real money" range. A 780 is only $499... $150 more, might as well go for it if you are going to get the video card now :)

I also can't do without a desktop, the more instances online the better...

Speaking of, unless you know you won't be doing VM's for sure, you might want to up the memory, or get 8GB as a single DIMM to start, to make room for a full 32GB later...

What was your study focus again... Computer Science / Computer Security - what I do, so yeah, you need more memory :)

You can get several VM's running in 32GB and build a test network, firewalls, ids, monitoring system, and simulate a whole lab for kicking ass in class - doing what you see in class/lab on your own inspires understanding and comprehension... much more fun than games - lots of hours of fun :)

Hmmm, checking out the CPU on ark.intel.com it has the virtual machine extensions VT-x/VT-d, but no hyperthreading... not sure if that is a problem - I usually turn it off myself when OC'ing, but it might be helpful in the long run.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75047/Intel-Core-i5-4670-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

I like i7's, and it's only $100 more - skip the K models, unlocked, but no Virtual extensions.
http://ark.intel.com/products/77656/Intel-Core-i7-4771-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Let us know how it comes together for you, and come back when you are ready for a G750 with a GTX8xxM :)

hmscott
03-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Check out this 50" 90W "monitor", got it for only $429, it's up to $499 now:
http://www.frys.com/product/7963210?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Charging stuff is just a new process I have integrated into life, like brushing my teeth and taking out the trash, they gotta be done and if I don't I will have a dead device tomorrow. After that happens once, or twice, you will remember to plug it all in when you get home. Charging the battery in the laptop starts when you plug it in when you first get home, always unpack right away, and after dinner, swap in the battery - or after some other regular activity - back from a run, after doing homework, before going back to campus library, etc.

When I said tablet earlier, I meant with / in a keyboard case, making it more useful. Although, I have to say that the Samsung Note 12.2 was large enough to have a full touch keyboard and I was pretty happy with text input on it, and along with the stylus, I liked it enough to try again when the 801/330 Qualcomm version (LTE) comes out. I didn't get the keyboard case, it didn't last long enough with me :)

School is great, don't forget to be social and have fun. I worked all through college, but still fit in social activities, and I am glad I did.

Zygomorphic
03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I would recommend the Surface Pro or Pro 2, they are very good (non-gaming) systems, especially for students. The type cover works pretty well, but the touch cover stinks. :(

Mars Bofire
03-05-2014, 02:29 AM
I couldn't honestly recommend a G75 ROG notebook for your purposes as the ROGs have always been quite heavy since their inception. They are also becoming less and less reliable over the last three years. The one I bought 18 months ago went back on RMA 8 times in the first 10 months of warranty so Asus had it longer than I did. After one last try with a new G75 I decided to return it for a refund. So I'm out of Asus and ROGs and I will miss them, but the signs of rot are there for all with eyes to see and an analytical mind. I was really torn to find that Asus let Microsoft's pathetic '8' bully them into creating a BIOS and that ensures no matter how much you've paid for your G75 ROG, you will NEVER own it. Microsoft does now and always will. If you don't believe it try to install any other OS and find out what happens. No to Linux. No to even Windows 7. Now I realize many Windows gamers won't care about this reality (as long as they can escape into their fantasy worlds) as studies show that almost 99% of them have likely never even skimmed the 'Windows Privacy Agreement' let alone read all 46 pages. If they did, they would no longer feel so good about Windows in general, and '8' in particular.
I know some one will say this is all rubbish. Others will say they installed Linux on a G75 ROG no problem. Well talk is cheap so prove it by writing down a step-by-step procedure from the BIOS changes required, to the successful instal -l and post it here. Any takers?

Zygomorphic
03-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I couldn't honestly recommend a G75 ROG notebook for your purposes as the ROGs have always been quite heavy since their inception. They are also becoming less and less reliable over the last three years. The one I bought 18 months ago went back on RMA 8 times in the first 10 months of warranty so Asus had it longer than I did. After one last try with a new G75 I decided to return it for a refund. So I'm out of Asus and ROGs and I will miss them, but the signs of rot are there for all with eyes to see and an analytical mind. I was really torn to find that Asus let Microsoft's pathetic '8' bully them into creating a BIOS and that ensures no matter how much you've paid for your G75 ROG, you will NEVER own it. Microsoft does now and always will. If you don't believe it try to install any other OS and find out what happens. No to Linux. No to even Windows 7. Now I realize many Windows gamers won't care about this reality (as long as they can escape into their fantasy worlds) as studies show that almost 99% of them have likely never even skimmed the 'Windows Privacy Agreement' let alone read all 46 pages. If they did, they would no longer feel so good about Windows in general, and '8' in particular.
I know some one will say this is all rubbish. Others will say they installed Linux on a G75 ROG no problem. Well talk is cheap so prove it by writing down a step-by-step procedure from the BIOS changes required, to the successful instal -l and post it here. Any takers?
Yes, me.
1) Boot into the BIOS, and turn off Secure Boot and turn on launch CSM.
2) Boot a bootable LINUX USB key and install.

UltimateKyo
03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi, actually I'm also quite keen to install Linux especially Red hat for my work purposes but I am not sure how do I go about it. Is there anybody who can provide me with the full installation guide for it on G750JX? I had tried install on my other normal laptop but it fail, I can't use the wireless, a lot guide shown online but I don't really seems to have the same screen as them

gazzacbr
03-06-2014, 03:16 AM
first this is a G750 forum. did you mean that or G75?
but, instead of jumping in here and posting complete rubbish you could try reading the forums first and get your facts straight.
i can tell you from personal experience you can install windows 8, windows 7, ubuntu, linux mint and even OS X mavericks.
i have all of these right now. see my sig.
i will certainly not write down step-by-step procedures for you as they are already are on this forum.
read and learn.