PDA

View Full Version : Fix for G55VW Win8.1 black screen startup...

patleyn
02-23-2014, 11:55 PM
HI GUYS I AM NOT EXPERT IM JUST FINDING A WAY TO FIX MY OWN PROBLEM

SO I HAVE THIS THING CALLED BLACK SCREEN AFTER UPDATE NVIDIA/WINDOWS

I FIX THIS THING USING LATE NVIDIA DRIVERS V.296.01

RESTART YOUR LAPTOP/PC TO SAFEMODE

UNINSTALL ALL NVIDIA DRIVERS

INSTALL V.296.01 NVIDIA DRIVER

RESTART

I HOPE IT FIXES COS IT FIXES MINE..

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH I HOPE U GUYS GET IT..

BTW TO FIND THE LATE NVIDIA VERSION OF THIS

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G55VW/#support

select windows 7/64 bit OS..
and there the NVIDIA LATE DRIVER
UPDATE DATE:2012.03.29

I HOPE IT FIXES YOURS TOO...

cl-Albert
02-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the update and glad to hear you could find a solution at least.

For anybody that's interested more information is at this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44121-Asus-g55vw-black-screen-after-please-help-me-here

You probably don't want to change anything if it's working okay, but your other thread mentioned you were running Win8.1 and ASUS has newer versions of the vga driver for Win8 posted, so wondering if any of those will also help with this since some people may not be able to use an older Win7 vga driver.

Anyway, we may need to hear back from others who run into the problem and hopefully can solve it too.

patleyn
02-26-2014, 10:50 AM
i am running at windows 8.1 pro and vga doesnt need an exact OS i think to able to install.. i downloaded it at windows 7 64 bit vga driver and i install it no problem

cl-Albert
02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the clarification, but some customers may want a newer vga driver to run with some games, etc., so it's possible this may not be a solution for them.

Just wanted to mention there are also newer Win8 vga drivers (and the Win8.1 vga driver which you reported not helping?) posted on the ASUS G55VW download site that others may want to try too.
If everything is working good in your system though, you probably don't want to change anything, so we may want to hear back from others about it.

Pandur
03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification, but some customers may want a newer vga driver to run with some games, etc., so it's possible this may not be a solution for them.The problem is caused by the newer drivers. If you use any recent Nvidia driver it causes the annoying black screen bug in Win 8/8.1 on my G55VW and apparently for alot of other peoples as well.

Personally I just start my G55, get the black screen bug, close the lid to put it to sleep, open lid and resume from sleep, log in and start using my computer. Since putting my computer to sleep and waking it again "magically" fixes the black screen. Before I installed Win 8.1 I was also able to fix the problem by just hitting windows key + P a couple times to change screens. But this isn't working any longer. At least I'm able to use the latest Nvidia driver now with only a minor annoyance when cold booting my laptop. But Nvidia should seriously get on top of this and squash this bug soon(tm)!!

cl-Albert
03-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the tip!

bdien7521
07-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Apologize for reviving a dead thread, and did a search for the solution but all says to use old nvidia drivers to resolve the issue.

I literally registered just so I can input my solution to what resolved this issue for me. It has been a headache for over a year+ and so far so good, might work and might not for others because of how simple the "setting" is. I am elated because I am optimistic that I do not have to deal with this dumb issue anymore.

I always had to have nvidia v. 317 drivers to be installed and never update because of this issue. Now I am running the latest drivers and no black screen issue, here is my solution.

MY SOLUTION:
Go into BIOS (F2), and go to the Boot tab. Scroll down to Launch CSM and ENABLE it. Go to Security tab and make sure the Secure Boot control is disabled. Save and exit.

I really hope this resolves this issue for others too, but if it doesn't maybe it was just my specific G55vw. Good Luck!