PDA

View Full Version : CPU staying at 3.3 GHZ

Flysher
02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

750JX model here, recently I noticed while plugged in that the processor speed is consistently at 3.3 GHZ under the task manager performance tab. I seem to recall a few days/weeks ago that it would stay at 2.4 GHZ unless I was gaming.. and then turn itself up to 3.3 ( turbo boost i think?)

Anyone know why this is happening, and if it can hurt my computer? I havent messed with power settings, and the computer isnt overheating...

Thank you!!

Myk SilentShadow
02-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Hello there and welcome to the ROG Forums :) Yes, what is happening is perfectly normal. Your Power Plan suggests it is set to "Balanced" which is a good thing as it will only clock your CPU up to 3.3 when it is needed under load. No, it won't damage the CPU.

If you want 3.3 all the time, change the power plan to Performance and the CPU will stay there 24/7 :)

Prostar Computer
02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
I think OPs problem is that the CPU is turbo clocked to 3.3 GHz constantly, Myk.

Flysher - do you see anything in the Processes tab in Task Manager that shows excessive CPU utilization? I just had someone who's CPU usage was constantly at around 30% on idle; it turned out to be an Adobe background updater hanging. Take a look at the processes and end ones that do not need to be running that are using a lot of CPU resources.

Flysher
02-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome gents!

Prostar, nothing excessive on the processes tab. Total load on the CPU page is 3 - 4% max, while the CPU continues to hang at 3.3~