PDA

View Full Version : g75 randomly started powering off. please help!!

bioangel
02-27-2014, 04:47 AM
SOLVED!

So i have had me laptop for a while now. But all of a sudden with out warning it has started powering off on its own. Not your normal shut down either . like a desktop that had the plug pulled.

So i thought maybe it was over heating. Ran hwinfo and found them to be nominal.

so i figured it might be a software issue. so i did a clean install. Yet the problem still pursuits.

I have also blown out the fan and under side and also i have taken out the ram that i could reach in case that was the issue.

Anyone have any insight?

bioangel
02-28-2014, 02:01 AM
i have also down a bios update now. still has not helped

bioangel
02-28-2014, 03:52 AM
so i have found a way to reproduce the issue. when i play games it tends to cause it to happen. mainly when i play men of war. i have played it before with no issue.

so this leads to 2 causes

1: bad drivers for the video card or

2: my video card is dieing

bioangel
02-28-2014, 04:02 AM
side not ran 3dmark 11 with out issue. go fig

bioangel
02-28-2014, 05:00 AM
so now i have downgraded bios from latest back to original. still shuts down under game load. i have also ran with out batter or wall power to see if either was the cause. problem still persited.

bioangel
02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Ok so here is an update. I have tried every type of stress test software that i could find to see if i could narrow the problem to no avil. prime 95
, 3dmark,furmark and a couple others.

not a single hitch. but when i play games it still cuts out like someone pulled the power.

could it be overheating and the sensors are not registering correctly?

RedDog
03-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Also having same exact issues and have done everything you have stated above. I posted in another thread I will retype here.

''I have the same exact issues since mid November-December but I did not do anything with MSI. I have sent mine in for 2 warranty repairs the past 2 months.
They have just sent it back and the past two days of usage it starts doing it again.
I just filed a complaint and a 3rd RMA for Tier 2 repair. This is a major issue with a lot of people the past year.
Great laptop....really hope I get a resolution here or a trade in of equal value.''
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44384-G75VW-shut-down-and-restart&p=379174#post379174

Clintlgm
03-02-2014, 02:45 AM
Reddog you should PM cl-albert he may help you succeed with the repair. C Customer L Loylaty Rep for this forum.

bioangel
03-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Well I sent my g75. We will see if they can fix it. If they ever do fix yours will you post what the issue was.

bioangel
03-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Also do you know what they have done so far to fix your laptop.

bioangel
03-04-2014, 03:45 AM
so if you return your laptop with a asus return label. don't give up at the first FedEx location. some are not going about trying to type the number in to there system and give up if it does not scan right.

bioangel
03-06-2014, 03:24 AM
so they should get it Thursday. hopefully we will find out what is wrong.

RedDog
03-08-2014, 11:48 PM
I receive my 3rd RMA next week. I will let you know how things worked.

bioangel
03-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Sweet thanks. Mine has been there since Thursday. Giving them till Tuesday till I start buging them.

RedDog
03-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Prepare for a long process. I have been in and out of repair since the end of December and I have had my computer only 4 actual days during that time.

bioangel
03-09-2014, 02:08 AM
That sucks! Hopefully mine is fixed the first time. I leave the country soon for awhile. Is there someone that you know I could contact to expedite this process.

RedDog
03-09-2014, 03:28 AM
No unfortunately. I just heard that they replaced the same exact thing again. This is getting no where...and I promise after a day or two of use it will act up again.

bioangel
03-09-2014, 03:36 AM
What part did they replace? And have you contacted cl-albert?

bioangel
03-10-2014, 05:29 PM
well so far the laptop has been sitting at asus since Thursday. no word :(

Clintlgm
03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Did you PM cl-albert to assist you with the RMA????

bioangel
03-10-2014, 11:42 PM
I have not. I just contacted them via tech chat. They where unable to tell me anything besides that it us in for repair and that they might have an answer by end of week. Rather give them time and have it done right. If its not I don't know what I'm going to do since I'm leaveaing the states.

RedDog
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I got a hold of cl-albert thanks. I am going to run the laptop today through its tests and see what happens.
They replaced the keyboard backlight, VGA, MB, and did a factory setting install. We will see how the laptop runs and I will post here soon.

bioangel
03-12-2014, 03:58 AM
My bet is that it was the vga. Means there might be luck for me.

bioangel
03-15-2014, 12:49 AM
so upside they changed the vga board and fixed it. down side im missing rubber feet now.

bioangel
03-17-2014, 10:29 PM
quick update.... apparently if you are missing any rubber feet on the return rma you have to ship back. This makes no sense on asus part since they pay shipping both ways. Tons cheaper for them to just mail the rubber piece.

juv96hrn
03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I have a simliar issue but mine goes into hibernation mode. Maybe its the same problem. This is what I have posted about it:

"G74sx goes into hibernation mode when right fan does not cool the laptop enough...
Since I sent my ASUS G74X on repairs with ASUS support in Sweden I have had a serious problem.

When I play high end games with high demand on graphics the back panel of the laptop, by the fan exhaust get very, very hor. This was not the case before the repairs.

Once this area gets too hot the PC just shuts down, or rather goes into hibernation. When I push the start button I can resume windows but obviously the game I was playing has shut down.

This never happens when I use the computer for other purposes.

I have downloaded gpu temperature measuring software. When I do thing the temperature is around 45-50C. When I play a game it increases to around 70-75C. I'm not sure if the GPU temperature is the problem or if these temperatures aren't normal.

And once I stop playing the game, or the PC shuts down and I have to restart it, the temperature drops real fast to like 50C again. Not sure if this is normal either.

Before I send the laptop for repairs a second time I am wondering if someone has experiecne with overheating on the right back side. Maybe I can manually adjust the fan speed or something?

ASUS support will only provide the solution of upgrading the BIOS, which I have done to version 2.03, the latest and reinstall factory settings. This is the support I have been offered on all 4 major hardware errors I have had on my laptop and I am starting to be upset with both ASUS and support.

Greatful for any feedback on overheating which makes the PC shut down and how to fix it..."

cl-Albert
03-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Hi,

Posted a reply at your other thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45556-G74sx-goes-into-hibernation-mode-when-right-fan-does-not-cool-the-laptop-enough...&country=&status=

You might consider posting a new thread in the "Older G Series Notebooks" section to see if other G74Sx owners have more ideas, or I can move your thread above to that location if you prefer.

Anyway, I assumed your system was shutting down instead of hibernating when I replied in the thread above, but if it's really hibernating, you may want to check your Windows settings and disable all the actions to hibernate in case there is a malfunctioning lid switch (or power button??) that is actually causing your system to hibernate.

If the problem is not too difficult to catch though (provide steps if necessary?), I would hope your service center could just solve it for you to save you the trouble.

bainin
03-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Do keep us posted on your results.

I will be going thru your list and see if any of these items help me past the random shutdown problem.

It seems to me that some of your adjustments are taking processing load off of the GPU and asking the CPU to do the work.

I wonder if this is resulting in much lower temperatures on the GPU?

bainin
03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Sorry-previous reply was for one of the other "My G75 is randomly powering off " threads. heh. A sad situation.

bioangel
03-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Your high temps seem a little high if that is only playing a high end game for a few min,s. For mine it is normal once the load is removed to cool rapidly. I sit at about 65 c on a mid to mid high game.

Side note wish Asus would hive us a way to control the fans or have them kick them to high sooner. I would not mind the extra noise for a cooler laptop. Also my GPU fan never seems to push air like the cpu fan. Or at least when your looking at normal the left fan never matches the right fan. Even if your pushing the laptop full tilt which seems odd but from what I have seen on the forms is normal.

Sorry typed this on my phone

bioangel
03-31-2014, 05:08 AM
so i posted in another thread that the computer should not shutdown on its own till a 100c. but there could be other things that are causing it to shut down early.

RedDog
05-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Hey guys!

Ok so three weeks of receiving my laptop after the 3rd RMA again same issue. From the very first day it lagged and froze many times anywhere from 2-6 min long. I had to hard restart it to get it to run again. It was strange and persisted to do so for the remainder of the 3 weeks. The third week was the worst, because after thinking just random lag and freezing was the only problem it started to randomly shutdown again! 5-7 times a day. To top it all off during the third week it had many BSODs. I finally called back in to start my 4th RMA and got a hold of a manager. He assured me that I would have the pc looked at and contacted corporate of the issue. The repair facility received the laptop April 24th and on he same day deemed it non repairable. They told me my request for replacement was in and I should receive an email with 5-7 business days after stock was checked for the replacement option.

It is May 5th and I have called in about 6-7 times since before today wondering what the deal is. Every supervisor I have talked to has stated a different story each time. Some confirmed just 3 more business days and some confirmed I was never told how long. I talked to a supervisor May 2nd who was able to confirm for me that May 5th I would receive some sort of replacement email or corporate response no later than that date. I have just called in 3 times today and each one of the supervisors would not understand who told me the info plus would not connect me to a manager to plead my case.

I have lost all patience. Need I remind anyone out here in this forum that yes my beloved laptop has been in and out of repair since December 2013 until present day. Now I just feel like people at the repair facility do not care about their customers and for sure are giving me the cold shoulder.

If anyone can plead my case and others in this forum that would be wonderful. I fully support Asus, but we are rearing up on half a year here a d I cannot take it anymore.