PDA

View Full Version : WiFi and wired connectivity question

psychosocial81
02-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I am having some sort of a strange problem, that no one seems to be able to help me with ( internet provider technicians anyway )

I have lag spikes when I play games and very slow internet on and off ( part time problem ). When I go on sites such has speedtest.net to test connection, what follows is weird.

I run the test, it does spikes up and down, sort of like same thing as a heart beat monitor. Goes up to lets say 7mb then down to 0 then back up to 7mb.

I tried on a mac I have wireless AND wired, all seems good. Sometimes my cellphone mentions that my internet connection is unstable as well ( when its connected on wifi ).

Tried plugging my laptop directly to the modem, same thing happens.

Heres what has been done so far.

- Modem was replaced for a new one
- Tried plugging in with ethernet cable, problem persists.
- Scanned for viruses and none was found.

Is there something else I could try to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help!

hmscott
02-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I am having some sort of a strange problem, that no one seems to be able to help me with ( internet provider technicians anyway )

I have lag spikes when I play games and very slow internet on and off ( part time problem ). When I go on sites such has speedtest.net to test connection, what follows is weird.

I run the test, it does spikes up and down, sort of like same thing as a heart beat monitor. Goes up to lets say 7mb then down to 0 then back up to 7mb.

I tried on a mac I have wireless AND wired, all seems good. Sometimes my cellphone mentions that my internet connection is unstable as well ( when its connected on wifi ).

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you have a marginal cable signal. Have you had a tech out to measure your signal at the "b-box" - the outside access point - and inside at your cable outlet?

Do you have cable TV as well?

I was getting marginal internet performance, most of the time good, then it would drop away. I bought my own modem, and performance improved a bit.

Then I ordered HD TV and tried to add a cable dvr/box and it wouldn't get a reliable signal.

It took a visit from a cable tech to get the signal boosted and running on TV - internet has become rock solid.

If you are connected via ethernet to the modem, bypassing the router / wireless, then it must be the signal the cable modem is seeing at the time you tested.

psychosocial81
02-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I have sattelite hdtv and adsl internet ( I live a bit far away lol )

He said something about replacing and or checking a box outside next time if the new modem didnt help, guess itll be the next thing to try.

Nillaz
02-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help!

This kind of thing can be a nightmare to troubleshoot as there are many possible points of failure.

As hmscott said I would have them test the line signal at the box outside your residence. I would also run a couple looping ping tests on your machine to test for packet loss. Hardwire the machine to your modem, open a command prompt and type

ping -n 1000 [put in a reliable domain name here]

This will send a ping request 1000 times to whatever server you choose. You can end the loop at any time via CTRL + C. I recommend using www.google.com as their servers are configured to send an acknowledgement (not all sites do for security reasons). Don't worry about the actual ping time it's pretty much irrelevant. What you are looking for is packets sent that timeout due to not receiving an ack. One every now and again isn't a big deal, but if you see packets being dropped regularly or many concurrent packets being dropped it's usually due to low signal or bad wiring. I would be concerned with anything greater than a few percent. Do it at different times throughout the day.

If you see the problem happening intermittently you can probably narrow it down to either network congestion or bad wiring. Coax in particular can be finicky outside your home because of fluctuations in temperature due to weather and the day/night cycle. Furthermore exposure to elements can cause problems if the sheathing cracks and moisture gets inside or animals chew on it.

I feel for you and wish you the best of luck. I had this problem a few years ago with Comcast and it absolutely sucked.

hmscott
02-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I have sattelite hdtv and adsl internet ( I live a bit far away lol )

He said something about replacing and or checking a box outside next time if the new modem didn't help, guess itll be the next thing to try.

The last dsl problem I solved was due to the timing being out of sync at one point in the dsl span - along the way between my local b-box and the central office - timing sync was enabled at my end and enabled at the central office, but one of the regenerative legs along the way it was disabled. It looked good at the central office and at my end, but in between the signal was out of sync.

That was a long long time ago :)

You must be a ways out there to still have dsl. Maybe you can talk someone into bringing a 10mbit/T3 out your way and you can all do a rural share? :)