PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with windows 8.1 Recovery?

amitabhbansal
02-27-2014, 07:20 AM
i am looking for the recovery image of windows 8.1 if anyone bought G750JX which came with windows 8.1 preinstalled? i have asked asus for it because now there are all driver updates for windws 8.1 so i think they will now can provide the windows 8.1 recovery easily. If i get from Asus i will upload.
Thanks

hmscott
02-27-2014, 07:40 AM
It would be nice if Asus developed a way to share the base recovery over the internet, so anyone with a G750/Asus_thingee could simply point their laptop to a network install server and get right with the world.

The speed / storage resources should be ok for serving much of the world in that way... Asus?

UltimateKyo
02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
It might not be a good idea amitabhbansal, because there might be slight differences in your model number against their since they had windows 8.1 as factory image. We aren't sure if there change any of the hardware internally. Perhaps it be good if you could just download windows 8.1 via the windows store and download all the latest windows 8.1 drivers as uploaded recently by Asus.

Darnassus
02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I personally wish the darned Recovery Partition was on the mechanical drive, and not the SSD..

Clintlgm
02-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Asus did provide a restore disk for Win 7 NB it was sold in the Asus Store for $50. I would suggest you use Asus Backtracker (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa) and create your own Restore media?
Other than that Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)or Acronis THI I won't give you a link as there have been issues with their program and tech support for Restoring UEFI GPT systems I use it on my MBR systems but am upgrading to Reflect for Win 8 and beyond. Most of the Image programs out their will not restore a booting UEFI GPT disk. I'm sure they will all figure it out sooner or later. The way I see it Reflect has had this solved since way back in 2012 I've bought a Pro License why would I ever worry about going back to Ghost or any other of the program we've all used over the years.

amitabhbansal
02-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Received the reply from Asus about the 8.1 recovery image and the reply is "Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Service Care.

We don't have win8.1 recovery files.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you.
Thanks!
Wish you a nice day!

Best regards,
Cherry
Customer Service Center
ASUSTek Computer Inc."

i dont know when they will have it, but if all peoples will ask them then i am sure that by such pressure they will make it and upload it.
What you all think?

Clintlgm
02-27-2014, 09:41 PM
It might be possible, they were selling some overseas somewhere, just not here in the States, Best deal is to use the Backtracker to make your own.

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-11-2014, 11:13 PM
TAiwanese are terrible in customer support, and English is barely enough for chitchat, just look at the terrible manuals and asus website.
a shame. since over a decade or two asus website is lagging, and they are happy with it.

Then they deliver a ROG expensive notebook without Windows product keys. What is this?????? Where is my key?

Praz
04-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Then they deliver a ROG expensive notebook without Windows product keys. What is this?????? Where is my key?
Hello

The Windows key is embedded in the UEFI. As you have also posted in the thread linked below I'm assuming you already know this and your question is more rhetorical than anything else.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39653-How-to-activate-Windows-8.1-if-you-used-an-ISO-to-clean-install&p=392309#post392309

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Sorry Praz, I was angry, I got my ROG 750 notebook yesterday, found some things I dislike in this product and its terrible Dutch manual, and the terrible English on the download page p.e. and the fact that there is not an easy recovery process, and that there are hidden recovery partitions on the SSD!!! (poor decission imho).

Standard Windows invites you to make a recovery disc, here it is different apparently, I am still figuring out what to do to leave a clean SSD, keep recovery options for future use....

For now I have changed the HDD for another SSD and removed McAffe and free games. Good thing is there is not too much bloathware.

hmscott
04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry Praz, I was angry, I got my ROG 750 notebook yesterday, found some things I dislike in this product and its terrible Dutch manual, and the terrible English on the download page p.e. and the fact that there is not an easy recovery process, and that there are hidden recovery partitions on the SSD!!! (poor decission imho).

Standard Windows invites you to make a recovery disc, here it is different apparently, I am still figuring out what to do to leave a clean SSD, keep recovery options for future use....

For now I have changed the HDD for another SSD and removed McAffe and free games. Good thing is there is not too much bloathware.

The first thing to do is to create a recovery USB drive using Asus Backtracker, a 16GB USB 3.0 drive is recommended - USB 2.0 is too slow to create and recover from.

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

With 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive, you can recreate the shipping install onto both included drives. If you want to preserve your data on the 2nd drive, remove it from the laptop before doing the USB recovery as it will delete the existing partitions and recreate the factory configuration

Also don't forget to backup the boot drive data you want to preserve too - the USB recovery starts with new partitions so you loose all the data before it does the recovery restore.

The Asus Backtracker only backs up the Asus OEM factory install, not your personal data, updates, your applications, etc. It restores the same configuration you had when your laptop was new.