PDA

View Full Version : My asus G53SX keyboard backlights wont turn on anymore, why?

mikezzz2012
02-27-2014, 01:54 PM
I tried pressing Fn+F3 or F4 but it wont turn on the keyboard lights. Also my trackpad doesnt work anymore, also the left and right button on the trackpad. Do I need to update something? I clicked "start-DXDIAG-run" and it shows that my BIOS is BIOS DATE:12/20/11 09:47:09 VER 04.06.03.

Is there something I need to update? Im a noob when it comes to computers and this is my first laptop ever, so can anyone please help me please? What do I need to update or download? And if its possible can you please provide me a link of what I should download? PLEASE help me anyone. Thank you .

Just a brief history. I bought this laptop last year of June. Then Last October of last year I checked this in a flight,( stupid me, I should have hand carried it") so when I got it back, the screen was all crap, all green, no picture. So since I live in the Philippines, I had to send this to Vancouver Canada Best Buy where my dad bought it,to have it repaired. The guy said the problem was only lose wiring but he only had to open it in the Asus place so the warranty wont be void. So Today,after 4 months of waiting, I Got it back and these additional problems show

1. This copy of windows is not genuine
2.Trackpad doesnt function anymore
3. Keyboard backlights wont work

please someone help... what should I do.

cl-Albert
02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
1. This copy of windows is not genuine
2.Trackpad doesnt function anymore
3. Keyboard backlights wont work

I'll discuss these issues separately below.

1. There might be different reasons for this, but you may want to try installilng all the important/critical Windows updates (try to avoid the optional updates unless you are sure you need them) since your Windows has probably just not been updated in a while and will hopefully be recognized as a genuine copy again after the updates are installed.
If it doesn't help, we can look into it more.

2. Keep tapping 'F2' as soon as you turn on the notebook to get into the bios (and check your bios version if interested) and look under the 'advanced' menu to make sure the internal pointing device/touchpad is enabled which it probably will be.
Also, go back to Windows and try to enable the touchpad by holding the 'Fn' key as you press the 'F9' key.
If you didn't already know, try to borrow a USB mouse if necessary just to get by as you work on solving these issues.

3. The keyboard lights should flash momentarily when you power on the notebook and before you get into Windows if the hardware is working correctly.
If you don't see this, let us know.

May take some time to sort all this out, so feel free to discuss more and please let us know how it goes if possible.

mikezzz2012
02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
I'll discuss these issues separately below.

1. There might be different reasons for this, but you may want to try installilng all the important/critical Windows updates (try to avoid the optional updates unless you are sure you need them) since your Windows has probably just not been updated in a while and will hopefully be recognized as a genuine copy again after the updates are installed.
If it doesn't help, we can look into it more.

2. Keep tapping 'F2' as soon as you turn on the notebook to get into the bios (and check your bios version if interested) and look under the 'advanced' menu to make sure the internal pointing device/touchpad is enabled which it probably will be.
Also, go back to Windows and try to enable the touchpad by holding the 'Fn' key as you press the 'F9' key.
If you didn't already know, try to borrow a USB mouse if necessary just to get by as you work on solving these issues.

3. The keyboard lights should flash momentarily when you power on the notebook and before you get into Windows if the hardware is working correctly.
If you don't see this, let us know.

May take some time to sort all this out, so feel free to discuss more and please let us know how it goes if possible.

Thanks for replying. The track pad works now I pressed the FN+f9 thanks for that! :oI already did the " installing all the important/critical Windows updates" - this was done automatically when I shut down my laptop and then the automatic windows update started doing its thing.

And regarding the keyboard back lights, it doesnt light up when I turn on the laptop.

Also , let me just add, my G53SX specs Memory before it was opened in the Asus Depot was 16GB, but now when it was returned, its only 12GB! I dont want to make any assumptions but it seems my laptop was like robbed by the asus people. I mean its supposed to be 16GB Memory, but now its only 12 GB.

First they said the problem was there was only something lose, so they could easily have tightened it, but I had to wait for 4 mos since it has to be opened in the Asus Depot so the warranty wont be void. But then things got worse. My windows is no longer genuine, and now my memory has been , how do I say this, DOWNGRADED/ROBBED from 16GB to 12GB. This is really disappointing.

Too add, I did what you instructed me to do. When I turned on my laptop I kept pressing F2 then went to ADVANCED , anyway there's something that says "START EASY FLASH" - press enter to run untility to select and update Bios" - My question is should I do this? press enter and update Bios? According to the MAIN it says:
BIOS VENDOR: AMERICAN MEGATRENDS
VERSION: 209
VBios : Version 70.26.29.00.OF.N48G53
EC Version :202d0f0001

and at the BOOT tab it shows
UEFI Boot - disabled
PXE rom - disabled
SHOULD I ENABLE BOTH OR LEAVE IT AS IT IS?

cl-Albert
02-28-2014, 05:54 PM
already did the " installing all the important/critical Windows updates" - this was done automatically when I shut down my laptop and then the automatic windows update started doing its thing.

And regarding the keyboard back lights, it doesnt light up when I turn on the laptop.

Also , let me just add, my G53SX specs Memory before it was opened in the Asus Depot was 16GB, but now when it was returned, its only 12GB! I dont want to make any assumptions but it seems my laptop was like robbed by the asus people. I mean its supposed to be 16GB Memory, but now its only 12 GB.

Send me a Private Message (PM) through the ROG forums to me at cl-Albert with your serial number and rma number if you want me to check into it more first, but it's sounding like your motherboard may have been replaced and not all the procedures completed properly which could be causing the genuine Windows issue, keyboard backlight issue, and possibly related to the memory issue if it was misplaced during the repair.

It's probably not legible anymore, but can you still read the Windows product key label under your notebook?

You may also want to check with the people who repaired your notebook, but I can look for more information in my system first if you're interested although I can't always pull up everything.

Too add, I did what you instructed me to do. When I turned on my laptop I kept pressing F2 then went to ADVANCED , anyway there's something that says "START EASY FLASH" - press enter to run untility to select and update Bios" - My question is should I do this? press enter and update Bios? According to the MAIN it says:
BIOS VENDOR: AMERICAN MEGATRENDS
VERSION: 209
VBios : Version 70.26.29.00.OF.N48G53
EC Version :202d0f0001

and at the BOOT tab it shows
UEFI Boot - disabled
PXE rom - disabled
SHOULD I ENABLE BOTH OR LEAVE IT AS IT IS?

You can check the ASUS G53SX download site, but the latest bios posted is 209, so there isn't a newer update available and a bios update would not normally help with these issues anyway.

If your system boots fine to Windows, there isn't a reason to change those settings.

mikezzz2012
03-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Send me a Private Message (PM) through the ROG forums to me at cl-Albert with your serial number and rma number if you want me to check into it more first, but it's sounding like your motherboard may have been replaced and not all the procedures completed properly which could be causing the genuine Windows issue, keyboard backlight issue, and possibly related to the memory issue if it was misplaced during the repair.

It's probably not legible anymore, but can you still read the Windows product key label under your notebook?

You may also want to check with the people who repaired your notebook, but I can look for more information in my system first if you're interested although I can't always pull up everything.

You can check the ASUS G53SX download site, but the latest bios posted is 209, so there isn't a newer update available and a bios update would not normally help with these issues anyway.

If your system boots fine to Windows, there isn't a reason to change those settings.

Where can I find the serial number and the RMA number? Also to add, when I sent my laptop to be repaired, I also sent the 2 CD drivers that came with the laptop when I bought it. Anyway it wasnt returned as well.

cl-Albert
03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
The serial number is printed under the notebook which hopefully is still legible.
The RMA number (or ticket number, service number?) should have been provided to you with the paperwork when you dropped off your notebook, but if you can provide the serial number, I can try to search for it in my system.

If you have an easy way to reach your store though, check with them too if you haven't already since they may be handling repairs differently and limit what I'm able to help with from my end.

G53S OG
09-17-2014, 01:17 AM
Hello!

I saw this thread and it seems very related to my G53SX issue of no KB backlight.

I had the motherboard replaced some months ago due to charging port busted, and before I brought it in for repair I removed my HDs for security purposes. In the process I busted the gold ribbon under the KB. When I got it back I just reinstalled my HDs and put the KB back in as is, not worrying about the gold ribbon. I assume that the gold is the backlight cable because the KB worked fine otherwise.

Well, recently I got a replacement backlit KB so I could again use the backlights. KB works fine except no backlights. didn't bust this one - figured out the plastic holders for the ribbons :)

No KB flashing at POST either. I have v 209 BIOS.

In other threads about a similar issue with G7XX machines I saw references to a "Fixmykb.rar". Does anyone know if this file and process will work for my G53SX? If not, some other solution?

Also, the charging and HD lights in the front never light. This happened as of the MB replace. I just never worried about it - shoulda brought it back then but I didn't. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks!

cl-Albert
09-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,

If you are also having problems with the charging and HD lights and it's not too late, consider checking if you can still send the unit back to get everything fixed under warranty. Normally, ASUS may still be able to help cover any issues related to your last repair for a limited time, so consider checking into this with your local ASUS support.

Unfortunately, not sure if "Fixmykb.rar" will work for your unit since it only applies to the 'older' units and yours may be on the borderline between the 'older' and 'newer' units.

Well, hopefully others have better ideas, but if you're interested, thought you may want to check if you still have time to get those problems fixed under warranty.

G53S OG
09-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks very much! I will check it out and hope it's not too late.