PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-A1 , WIn 64 pro reinstall

Jinky
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I reinstalled the pro version I had of win7 and had a few questions for you all. I doubt all the drivers on the disk are up to date but there seem to be quit a few go through are track down one b one. Would it be worth the effort or should I just run the disk? Also, I was curious which applications you all enjoyed that came with the disk? I have not had much time to play around on it yet but looking forward to getting some games installed. Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 11:12 PM
The apps I installed were Power4Gear Hybrid, Wireless Console3, Lifeframe 3, and Fastboot.

Most of the drivers are here in Chastity's driver thread- http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

I did the same as you; a clean install, and I'm happy so far.

Jinky
09-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I saw the sticky thread for the drivers but it seems the disk. has quite a few more. I have the current nvidia installed but I was not sure if the sticky was up to date. So use the drivers in the aticky and what I don't find there use the disk? Also this is my first Asus laptop, are some of the drivers the same for different Asus models? Thanks again for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Matt

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Well, you usually want to use the newest drivers and the ones on the ASUS disc are most likely not them. lol

The only one that's a biatch is the VGA driver (nVidia driver). You need to use one with a modded INF (install script) so the installer recognizes the 560m in the G74SX. Otherwise, wherever you find a newer driver for a device in your laptop, as long as it's a trusted source, the driver will be fine.

As far as the drivers from different ASUS models, I wouldn't worry about drivers on the ASUS site too much. They are usually older. But some things you DO need from ASUS, like ATK 1.0.0010 and BIOS 202, things that are ASUS specific. Chastity usually has up to date drivers and such in her thread, but she's been busy lately and may be behind a bit.

Jinky
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Well I have been going through checking everything, I got my A1 from BB but the 560 still has the 192bit with it. I have a different wifi card however mention in the driver/app sticky. I came from an old gateway p6860 and there are quite a few new things on this Asus that I am not familiar with. GOt the updated bios done, now I need to run the keyboard fix. Still feel I am missing a few things. Just moved into my new place when the laptop arrived, taking me awhile to get everything updated since I am not sure if all my hardware is the exact same. Like on the disk I see 3 different files for the DVD/BluRay drive, somewhat confusing. I like to keep my system nice and streamlined. I was possibly thinking about taking this one back and grabbing the 3DE model (never played withe the 3d stuff) Thanks again for the replies :)

edit: Keyboard light fix does not work on Win64 Pro :(