PDA

View Full Version : REBOOT ISSUE, SHORT CIRCUIT? Unplugged keyboard-G75 doesn't start up properly[solved]

alecinator
02-28-2014, 04:50 PM
First of all, I am not a hardware wizard. Just to get that out of the way

I was having an issue with my keyboard, so I had to unplug it. Dissasembling was no problem, reassembly no problem either. But after putting it back together, my G75VW does not start properly. Whenever I power it on, it shuts down again after 1-3 seconds, barely making it to the ROG-emblem. Seems like some sort of short circuit or overheat?

Anyways I was thinking it had something to do with the recently removed keyboard cables, so I dissasembled the laptop again and plugged the cables back in, but the problem still persists.

This part is a bit tricky to explain, so please check my recording of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jKbdakmyY

When lifting the keyboard panel up slightly after pressing the power button, everything works!
It shuts down whenever i click the panel back down onto the motherboard again.
To me this seems like a short circuit, but basically I have no idea.

Anyone have any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
A.

Clintlgm
02-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep sounds like your keyboard is finished, suggest you RMA for repairs

alecinator
03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep sounds like your keyboard is finished, suggest you RMA for repairs

See the thing is, the keyboard isn't connected at all.
At the moment I am actually using my G75 with both keyboard and touchpad cables unplugged. (I am using a USB keyboard).

So everything works well except for the fact that I cannot screw the laptop back together.
Whenever I pop the keyboard panel in place the PC will not start up :confused:
What could be causing the short circuit or whatever is happening?

I'm afraid that RMA isn't an option as the PC was bought on the internet.

cl-Albert
03-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Sorry, I don't take apart the notebooks, so am not sure what is exactly wrong, but hopefully the general ideas below can help.

1. Make sure the correct screws are in the correct locations and you don't have any screws that are too long in the wrong places.
You removed a ton of screws from the bottom of the unit, make sure those are all in the correct places too since there might be a screw from the bottom shorting out the underside of the motherboard when you are pressing down on it?

2. If you haven't already, you may want to make sure there are not any loose screws or loose (metal?) parts in the notebook.

3. You've probably done this a few times already, but check under the top case and in the system to see if are any metal areas that are touching where they should not be when you put it back together.
Alternatively, you might want to make sure everything is fitting well and it's not the pressure of pressing the top case down that is pushing something that it shouldn't be.

Good luck!

alecinator
03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks alot cl-Albert! Your input was very valuable :)

I was thinking that #3 might be the case, so I did some tinkering.

I tried removing the two mouse pad cables and I got no juice at all. Seems like you have to have them connected to be able to power up the G75.

Then I used electric tape to cover both sides of the loose keyboard cables in case (rather unlikely) that it was causing the issue.

The metal pins on the tiny power cable from the motherboard to the power button were slightly damaged at the tip, probably due to excess removing/inserting. Handle these with care! They are available online, but I had no time to wait so instead of ordering a new one, I took a pair of scissors and cut the damaged part off and reconnected it.
The cable is similar to this: 34170

Reassembled the pc and now it works fine, at least it has for a day. No short circuits or anything.
Not sure what fixed the issue, but if I had to guess I'd say it was cutting the cable.

Solved :cool:

cl-Albert
03-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the update alecinator, and glad I was able to provide some 'moral support' at least, but you did all the hard work to solve it :).

Yes, I remember another member reported an issue with the cable before, so I'll need to remember to check that.

Thanks again for sharing your solution and including the picture as well.