PDA

View Full Version : Another safe temp thread. :c

Darnassus
03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
.. I don't know why, but my CPU and motherboard are hitting 75*C when I run a virus scan with Windows Defender (AKA, Microsoft Security Essentials )

.. is this too over-kill? Should I repaste? ':f

Darnassus
03-01-2014, 07:54 PM
I STILL wish I knew why the Motherboard is the hottest module in the G750JX that I have..

sasuke256
03-01-2014, 09:17 PM
mmmm 100% CPU use ? or not ?

Mkadi
03-02-2014, 12:27 AM
guys should i return the 750jw for warranty? when i run prime95 cpu temps go higher than 90+. Is it all same with you or something wrong with the heatsink, thermal compound or fan with mine? and which stress test do you use so i can use it as a comparison.

hmscott
03-02-2014, 12:41 AM
.. I don't know why, but my CPU and motherboard are hitting 75*C when I run a virus scan with Windows Defender (AKA, Microsoft Security Essentials )

.. is this too over-kill? Should I repaste? ':f

Darnassus, Norton Internet Security 2014 disables Windows Defender, but I used NIS 2014 to start/run a full system scan, and took a snapshot of the CPU temps / performance with HWinfo at about 5 minutes into the scan:

HWInfo - free
http://www.hwinfo.com/

The scan is being done on an SSD, so I would think it would have greater throughput and therefore higher CPU usage than a scan on an HD.

Here is a link to NIS 2014 90 day trial. It is very efficient, you might try loading it and do a full system scan - after doing as many updates as it needs to get current from the install image - and see how hot your JX CPU runs.

Norton Internet Security 90 Days Trial Free Download
http://www.cctrd.com/norton-internet-security-90-days-trial-free-download.htm

I purchase NIS right off typically as I have used it for years, but have used the 90 day trials in the past.

If you have Comcast you can get Norton Security Suite for free while you remain a Comcast customer:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/downloading-the-norton-security-suite/

The JW/JX get hotter than the JH for the same CPU tasks. I don't think 75C is too hot given about a 75-80% constant CPU usage.

Re-pasting is something you do for old computers that have had their paste dry up, not new computers.

If you can do reasonable comparisons and find that you are 5C over normal, that is just luck of the draw. 10C over, and you could let Asus know that you think it is too high and request an RMA - and provide Asus with the test / results you used to determine it is running too hot.

I have seen the odd CPU with 1 core 10-15C over the others, and that part needed replacing - it is an internal heat spreader defect inside the CPU chip carrier.

But, unless you are actually seeing "Thermal Throttling" it isn't running "too hot".

See the 4 lines in the HWinfo picture above that list whether any of the cores have tripped Thermal Throttling during the HWInfo run.

If you are seeing Thermal Throttling during normal use, definitely contact Asus for an RMA.

I have never been able to induce Thermal Throttling on my JW, JX, JH - but there have been forum posters here that have seen it during normal use and have RMA'd their laptop back to Asus.

It is something all of us should test for on our laptops when we get them.

noone
03-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Its a tough one.

I think its time we pushed for a formal answer from Asus, there are sooo many concerns about the high temps and we all should have a fixed reference as to what is OK and what is too hot.

75 is fine IMO, but seeing 90's in normal use (not tests / benchmarks) is excessive.

We also need a solid ceiling for XTU / benchmarks for safe use. If its 100 deg, then ok, atleast we know...

hmscott
03-02-2014, 02:10 AM
Its a tough one.

I think its time we pushed for a formal answer from Asus, there are sooo many concerns about the high temps and we all should have a fixed reference as to what is OK and what is too hot.

75 is fine IMO, but seeing 90's in normal use (not tests / benchmarks) is excessive.

We also need a solid ceiling for XTU / benchmarks for safe use. If its 100 deg, then ok, atleast we know...

The Intel 4700HQ CPU Junction Temperature max is listed at 100C by Intel:
Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.
http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

And, the CPU will throttle performance to protect itself should the temperature approach Tmax.

Asus provides G750 cooling adequate to keep the CPU temp in the safe range, even during extended times of extreme use, and the CPU will throttle itself to reduce the temperature when the ambient + load heat runs past the capability of the cooling system.

No one with a working G750 is going to see throttling under normal temperatures.

If you aren't seeing Thermal Throttling you don't have a problem.

Check out the MSI forums for real cooling issues. MSI users seeing Thermal Throttling of the CPU during gaming due to the CPU / GPU sharing the same cooling hardware.

Talking about problems / asking questions in an Asus User Forum is unlikely to get a direct answer from Asus.

In the forums you can get specific shared information that can help you figure this all out on your own, without asking Asus directly.

If you are concerned you can contact Asus and ask via a Technical Inquiry.
https://vip.asus.com/

gazzacbr
03-02-2014, 07:22 AM
after a long gaming period, in the living room at about 27C, without the a/c on, i would see GPU 69C and CPU 77C.
at idle they are GPU 42C and CPU 48C
below 80C i wouldnt be bothered.

@Mkadi: Prime, and other, stress tests do just that, they stress to the max. dont run it unless you really have to.
this is a gaming laptop. what are the realistic temps when you are gaming?

hmscott
03-02-2014, 07:41 AM
guys should i return the 750jw for warranty? when i run prime95 cpu temps go higher than 90+. Is it all same with you or something wrong with the heatsink, thermal compound or fan with mine? and which stress test do you use so i can use it as a comparison.

That is what I got running prime95 - 90C+ on the stock JW/JX, on the JH, this is what I see:

I was able to drop the temp on prime95 on the JW/JH by using Intel XTU to drop the voltage -100mV or more, depending on the unit, and that made 5-10C difference.

I never saw throttling on prime95... if you can run prime95 with HWinfo running to catch a throttling event, and you don't see one, then you are fine, even if the temp hits the 90's.

Mkadi
03-02-2014, 08:56 AM
during casual gaming it never goes that high, not even close. But the thing is, i am trying to find out, is there something wrong with my laptop and should i take it for inspection. But again, while playing games it never goes up that high.

hmscott
03-02-2014, 10:10 AM
during casual gaming it never goes that high, not even close. But the thing is, i am trying to find out, is there something wrong with my laptop and should i take it for inspection. But again, while playing games it never goes up that high.

Mkadi, what do you think is wrong with your laptop? It doesn't have a temperature problem, so what is it that you think needs looking at by Asus?

Mkadi
03-02-2014, 07:06 PM
well on the previous topics people told that even they apply stress test, their cpu does not heat over 80+ degrees, that is why i am considering something like that. because in every stress test mine go a little bit over 90+.

hmscott
03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
well on the previous topics people told that even they apply stress test, their cpu does not heat over 80+ degrees, that is why i am considering something like that. because in every stress test mine go a little bit over 90+.

The stock out of the box, with no software tweaking of the CPU, JW/JX both run in the 90C's when running 100% CPU benchmarks/stress tests. Your laptop is performing as expected.

The stress test reports that aren't going over 80C are either G750JH's that have a more extensive cooling system than the JW/JX, and/or they have applied negative voltage offset to their CPU with Intel XTU - reducing voltage reduces generated heat - especially under heavy load.

Have you installed HWinfo64 to monitor temperature and to see if your laptop CPU is entering Thermal Throttling? That is a test to run to see if you have a cooling problem.

If your CPU isn't entering Thermal Throttling, the cooling system is working as engineered, keeping the CPU cool enough to remain safe, but not over-cooling - and making too much fan noise.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Leave HWInfo running on "Sensors only" while you are running stress tests. It has 4 lines, one for each of the cores, that shows Currently in Thermal Throttling Yes/No, and 3 historical Yes/No readings. Keep HWinfo running all the time, and it will catch the Thermal Throttling event if it happens while HWinfo is running.

Once you are satisfied there is nothing wrong with your stock setting cooling, you can use XTU to decrease the CPU heat generation.

Have you installed Intel XTU and set a negative offset of -50mV to -125mV to reduce heat output? That will reduce the CPU temp under load. Download version 4.3.0.11
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+uti lity%22%22

Here is a Profile I created that doesn't OC, it only sets a -50mV voltage offset for CPU/CPU_cache. It is a good starting point, you can increase the offset till the laptop crashes, then back off 10-25mV for a stable voltage reduction. XTU will not load a profile at the next boot, you will need to go in and reduce the offset and apply/save it. Unzip it and Import the Profile into XTU:

Mkadi
03-03-2014, 05:00 AM
thank you very much, i appreciate your help. Great information.