PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard replacement for G75VW RS72

stribs
03-01-2014, 07:43 PM
My motherboard needs to replaced, or atleast thats what the tigerdirect tech department told me. I broke off 3 or the ribbon connectors while trying to find the cause to my frequent random shutdowns. The plastic arms are broken off, I believe maybe brittle from frequent cold to hot temperatures during my winter commuting.

Anyways, what I need to know is exactly what motherboard can I buy to solve my issue? My models a G75VW RS72 with the 670m. I was looking at ebay to buy a replacement and install myself since I'm long out of warranty.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

stribs
03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Really, 1 view?

Clintlgm
03-08-2014, 08:42 PM
yes its slow on the weekend on here. And your asking a question very few of us will have any Idea about? My suggestion is to have it replace by a Asus approved repair station. Probably would have been cheaper from the get go?

stribs
03-09-2014, 01:52 AM
Not really, I posted this thread a week ago, not over a weekend. My question is very straightforward.
What motherboard can I buy to use in my laptop?

I do not see how an "Asus repair station" would be cheaper from the get go. They would be charging me labour/shipping and parts at manufactorer prices. It is obviously cheaper for me to buy the part myself and do it.

Clintlgm - You have almost the exact same laptop as mine, do you have any useful information? You sound like your being paid off by Asus.

Clintlgm
03-09-2014, 03:48 AM
Sorry to bother you, my point was if you had sent it for repairs you wouldn't be looking for a motherboard!
Here is what Hwinfo brings up not much help I don't think.34287 I would think all the G75VW Motherboard would be the same, the different models were add on stuff.. screen, ram, hard drives, DVD etc, all had the same CPU and GPU all had the same external ports. The only different one would have been the 3D models not sure they are really different or just had different add on stuff. I know that ROG button turned on the 3D where for us it changes the power profile.
A few of the people that come here may be able to help, it just a matter of when they happen to stop by.

stribs
03-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi Clintlgm thanks for the info. I have a friend with a G75VW who has a different screen (1600x900) and gpu (660m). I do not know much about the actual laptop motherboards or how they are connected with the cpu/gpu, my understanding is they are all integrated?. Is it possible to swap out just the motherboard?

Djask
03-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Is this similar to what you're looking for?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-for-ASUS-G75VW-60-N2VMB1401-B03/616921056.html

Clintlgm
03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I have no idea, all I know is that the 3D models are different in that the ROG button on 3D models turns on the 3D, while on the non 3D models the ROG button Cycles the power options. for my money I would either get a new NB or send it in to Asus for repair. You would be putting a lot of money out for an unknown MB. That even if it turns out to be a good one you could destroy very easily installing it and setting it up. A tech that could accomplish a motherboard change out would not need to ask which MB he needs. NB are not desk tops, a whole lot of stuff is crammed into a very small area and any one piece not working will shut you down. All these pieces are expensive and hard to come by to just change out stuff till it works. Were seeing people here that have been shut down over a cable or connector these are easily damaged
Not to discourage your but you also have to look at reality before taking on a project like this

stribs
03-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Believe me I understand the reality of the situation. Upon taking it to the Asus reseller (tigerdirect) which I bought it from they told me they could swap out the Mobo for me for $600 plus labour. They charged me $30 for a diagnostic when I told them my connectors where busted.

I'd rather chance a $200 mobo such as the one listed above (Thanks Djask) and put it in myself than pay half of what I paid for the NB in the first place just to have a service tech do my mobo.

As for being shut down, I already am. I'm using an Asus T100 to type this and use my PS4 for gaming, I haven't used my G75 in months. I plan on ridding myself of this NB as soon as its in sell able condition and investing in a desktop rig.

If anyone's interested I'll let it go cheap to avoid the hassle

Also it is not the 3D version.

Clintlgm
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Oh what did Asus want to charge you to fix it? Here is a link on how to dissemble a G75 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA) I wish you good luck.

often
04-07-2014, 08:24 PM
My motherboard needs to replaced, or atleast thats what the tigerdirect tech department told me. I broke off 3 or the ribbon connectors while trying to find the cause to my frequent random shutdowns. The plastic arms are broken off, I believe maybe brittle from frequent cold to hot temperatures during my winter commuting.

Anyways, what I need to know is exactly what motherboard can I buy to solve my issue? My models a G75VW RS72 with the 670m. I was looking at ebay to buy a replacement and install myself since I'm long out of warranty.

You need to lookup which serial number your motherboard is, for example the G75VW have several different MB. Here are a few of them to show you what you're looking for: 60-N2VMB1401-B02 / 60-N2VMB1601-B04 / 60-N2VMB1401-B07 / 60-N2VMB1401-C02.

Usually this information is placed on a green colored plastic sticker on one of the Dimm-slots of your motherboard. So you will have to remove the screen and keyboard again to find the sticker. This time, be careful will ya? :)

In addition to the video "Clintlgm" linked, I can also recommend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otysJ5C9foI