PDA

View Full Version : Video/Audio Stutter on Battery Normal Per ASUS?

ryandb2
03-03-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm having an issue with my G750JX where the audio and video stutter and lag while playing video games while on battery power. This most often happens when I am playing music while playing a video game but sometimes when just running a game. Basically the screen freezes, video then stutters, and audio crackles and stutters, eventually correcting itself. I have tried multiple audio/video drivers and am now back to a clean install with only ASUS drivers. Below is the response I received from ASUS after a few attempts to solve the problem, which seems rediculous. This never happens while on wall power, and I always run the laptop in performance mode.

Is anyone else experiencing an issue like this?

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ... and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

It's normal that the audio/video stutters/freezes, when you play the game on the battery mode.

If the audio is working properly, when you only run the music software on the battery mode, then your computer has no problem.

Davy@ASUS
03-04-2014, 05:47 AM
Hi, the performance in battery mode is weak, that is due to the power suply of battery can't fully support the great CPU and GPU. So the CPU and GPU will underclock, then will cause the lag.

JarekCyphus
03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Hi, the performance in battery mode is weak, that is due to the power suply of battery can't fully support the great CPU and GPU. So the CPU and GPU will underclock, then will cause the lag.

This. I can reasonably run older games and emulators on battery, but the audio pop and occasional frame freeze still occur in battery mode, even when playing something so modest as the original Super Mario Bros. I mean it's a battery; it was never intended to power a gaming rig.

hayak
03-09-2014, 03:18 PM

In my case I need to be able to use CPU, GPU and USB with maximum power (live encoding using CPU and GPU with serveral USB3 video capture devices with no AC power available). I have also noticed that USB power drops, CPU throttles when unplugging power, so Im looking for a way to solve this problem.

I understand that the power adapter is capable of 19.5V, 9.23A which is 180W.
The battery, however, is only capable of 15V, 88Wh, 5.7Ah, which is not enough for max CPU, GPU, USB power consumption.

At this point Im willing to try out external battery (to be blugged in as power adapter) that could satisfy the hungry needs of 750JX. Can anyone tell me what is the minimums power required in terms of voltage and amps so that G750JX can work as if it was plugged in AC? Does this differ for G750JW (because I have a few of those too, and I assume the graphics need less power).
If not, does anyone know the wats required for 770M and 4700HQ ?

To be honest, I was not aware of this situation prior to buying mys G750JX since I havent had any issues with my previous laptops, so this came to me as a bit of suprise.

Alzura
03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
This. I can reasonably run older games and emulators on battery, but the audio pop and occasional frame freeze still occur in battery mode, even when playing something so modest as the original Super Mario Bros. I mean it's a battery; it was never intended to power a gaming rig.

I just this second noticed my audio crackling and popping and instantly thought there was a loose connection or something. Plugged in the power and its fine, thank god.

hmscott
03-09-2014, 09:09 PM
I just this second noticed my audio crackling and popping and instantly thought there was a loose connection or something. Plugged in the power and its fine, thank god.

That's because the Realtek driver now defaults to disabling Power Management function on AC power :)

The Realtek Power Management - power saving - causes crackling and popping in headphone audio - it does this on many laptops not just the G750.

On battery, Power Management Function is enabled... to disable, check out this post with registry patches to completely disable Power Management, disable on AC, and enable options:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-popping-high-pitched-tone-squeal.html

I would Edit/View the .reg file patches, and then do the patch by hand using regedit.

It is a good idea to look at what the patch does before you run it :)