PDA

View Full Version : G43SX-A1 optimize for gaming help?

S84kam
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, this is my first laptop. Finally decided I was going to get back into PC gaming rather than consoles. Since BF3 is nearing its release date I was testing the waters with Crysis 2. Forgive my PC ignorance but how do I configure my GeForce 560M for maximum gaming power besides the really technical options like over clock? The geforce settings are a bit too overwhelming for my knowledge. If anyone could help out that would be great...

btw, is there any chance i could use the VGA input for xbox/ps3? I'm just curious if this is an input and not only an output

thanks!

Chastity@ASUS
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Grab the new beta drivers, 285.35 Verde, as they're optimized for BF3. As for the VGA port, it's not an input.

S84kam
09-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I have another question about the Power4Geat Hybrid. What the heck is this and why are there so many stupid options? I have 4 options which i do not care about other than performance and dimming the brightness now and then. I find i accidentally leave it in a mode I do not want and it lags my gaming!

is there a way I can just leave it on high performance and uninstall the application?

Grab the new beta drivers, 285.35 Verde, as they're optimized for BF3. As for the VGA port, it's not an input.

i found the driver but asus says that 268.56 is the latest one for my video card

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
You'll never find an up to date driver on the Asus site. Lol

Go to the link in this thread and download that driver. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4459-285.38-GeForce-drivers-beta-are-out

I hope it works out for you! :)

S84kam
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
You'll never find an up to date driver on the Asus site. Lol

Go to the link in this thread and download that driver. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4459-285.38-GeForce-drivers-beta-are-out

I hope it works out for you! :)

thanks for the link! But i noticed most of the guys own g73/74... will this driver update still work with my G53sx? its the same graphics card but with 2gb vram...

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I believe so. The G53 has been out for a while, right?

If not, you'll need to wait until someone modifies the install script.

Let us know what happens, ok? :)

S84kam
09-26-2011, 11:20 PM
ok so the installation went and finished with no errors... i went to my device manager and the driver version is 8.17.12.8538, is that what its supposed to be?

JRd1st
09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
That's ok. Notice that the last 5 digits make up 285.38? :)

285.38 is sort of shorthand so we mere mortals can remember what driver we're talkin' about. lol

S84kam
09-27-2011, 12:08 AM
ooooooh! much appreciated :)

ok another question... I really despise this Power4Gear utility... I un-installed it, will it have any negative outcome? I figured I can always have the maximum setting using the power options to maximum (battery icon on the bottom right). The reason I had to un-install it was the fact that when i moved to battery mode/efficient mode, the screen would go all white and literately blind me!

is there a point to this Power4gear?

grungeboy2
09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
there's a option you can turn off. it's called battery saving desktop.

JRd1st
09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
:confused:You don't really NEED Power4Gear, but if you have that button next to your power button that you use to change your power management setting, it won't work without P4G. You can use the regular power management built into Win7 instead.

P4G is Asus's way of making it easier to change your power settings.

The screen goes all white in Battery Mode? That doesn't sound good . . . :confused:

S84kam
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
the white screen was asus's wallpaper, all i had to do was find the folder and delete those stupid bright wallpapers!

thanks for clearing up the Powe4gear!

JRd1st
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Lol!

No problem! :)

S84kam
09-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Another question - when i click on computer, I see 2 drives labeled "0S (C:) and DATA (D:)" - I checked my device manager and it shows only 1 harddrive. Does this mean this is a partition? What is the benefit of this and should i install all my programs/games in data and leave the "OS C:" alone?

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Yes, you have a logical partition.

The benefits of logical partitions, in my opinion, are that you can organize your stuff more easily and it's easier to defragment and also to backup smaller partitions. And yes, you can put your games on there if you want. When I moved my stuff from my old desktop to my laptop, all I had to do was to move everything from my games drive to my games partition. They worked fine. (They were Steam games. Might not work that way for non-steam games)

S84kam
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Whats this stuff I keep reading about that people are updating their bios? Should I have that done too, to enhance my gaming? I'm a very basic computer guy if you havent noticed ;)

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Well, I don't know. Is your BIOS up to date? Are you having problems that the update addresses?

Unlike most updates a BIOS update can brick your machine if something goes wrong, so don't do it just because the version is a higher number.

I don't have the same laptop as you so I know nothing about it's BIOS updates.

S84kam
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
sounds like the bios is something i do not want to tinker with! good to know!

xeromist
09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
sounds like the bios is something i do not want to tinker with! good to know!

The important thing is to start with a freshly reformatted flash drive in FAT32. NTFS and some of the factory partitioning that gets put onto flash drives can cause the bricking. Redoing it yourself is the best way to ensure a smooth process.

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 02:59 AM
i've never had any issues with NTFS.

yeah dude on the bios thing, don't ever update it unless it fixes a specific problem you're having. you'll know it will because they'll have in their release notes what the bios update fixes. this applies basically to all computers.

the old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. seen many a good laptop bricked for no real benefit.

xeromist
09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
i've never had any issues with NTFS.

*shrug* every incident of bricking I've heard of recently has been with NTFS formatting. I know that's not conclusive given the prevalence of the format but absent any further information and given it's what the ASUS employees here recommend, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree. It's better to be safe than stubborn, too. ;)

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
maybe it's something that's come up in more recent years.

when i did my flash sometime back i don't remember reading or seeing anything that said you shouldn't do it in any particular format.

then again, maybe i did use a thumb drive or something.