PDA

View Full Version : Help! G73JH on ASUS logo loop!

Darktofate
03-05-2014, 05:04 AM
2 days ago, I left the room with the laptop on the table, and when I came back a few seconds later, I found the laptop shut off. The battery had died and so I took out the battery, plugged in the charger and turned it on. The ASUS logo pops up, and then to a blinking underscore "_" and it continues in a loop. I began to worry now as it would not get to the Windows.

What's wrong? How did this happen?

Additional Notes:
- This is my father's laptop, which we've had for many years now
- I can acccess the BIOS (or boot menu I believe) by pressing F2
- The laptop heats up a lot, and sometimes overheats without having a fan blow on, which is why we bought one (usb connected)
-I've tried taking the battery out, unplugging the charger, pressing the power button for 10 seconds, replace the battery, plugged in the charger and turned it on but still get the same results.
- Trying to avoid wiping out any data as this hasnt been backed up recently. I'm a bit hesitant on removing or dissassembling anything as I'm afraid of breaking something.

If there's any information needed to help solve the problem, please mention. Thank you.

cl-Albert
03-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Hopefully the hard drive is okay, but if you can get into the bios, go to the 'Advanced' menu and look under 'SATA Configuration' to make sure you see your hard drive listed with the DVD-rom in your SATA ports.

Also, try tapping the 'F8' key when you power up and the ASUS logo appears to check if you can get into Windows Safe Mode.

Darktofate
03-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Hopefully the hard drive is okay, but if you can get into the bios, go to the 'Advanced' menu and look under 'SATA Configuration' to make sure you see your hard drive listed with the DVD-rom in your SATA ports.

Also, try tapping the 'F8' key when you power up and the ASUS logo appears to check if you can get into Windows Safe Mode.

So, if it's not listed, what do I do?

And after this, then what?

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the help.

cl-Albert
03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
If your hard drive is not detected by the notebook bios anymore, unfortunately, it's very likely that your hard drive has gone bad on you.
Try tapping 'F8' to get into safe mode since it's easy to try, but isn't going to work if the notebook isn't seeing your hard drive.

At this point you probably have 2 separate but somewhat related concerns.

1. If you are worried about the data on the hard drive, it will probably not be easy or cheap to get to it if the hard drive is not detected.
You may want to discuss or take it to a store you trust since data recovery isn't something I know as much about, or even look into data recovery services if the data is that important to you.

If you want to look into it on your end, you can also get a USB hard drive adapter for your notebook hard drive (as long as you are able to remove it safely?) to connect it to another computer if available, but almost isn't worth trying if the notebook bios doesn't detect the hard drive since the other computer probably will not see it either.
In the slim chance that something happened to your notebook and not the hard drive, you may be able to access your hard drive and data.

2. Not sure if you want to put anymore money into the notebook to get it working again (assuming you're not under warranty or extended warranty), but if the hard drive just went bad, you probably can get it working again by installing another hard drive and Windows (which may be another hurdle if you don't have a back up).

Well, hope this gives you a better idea of the situation and you may want to discuss more with others or have them check into it in case there is something I'm missing.

Good luck!

Darktofate
03-10-2014, 12:41 AM
If your hard drive is not detected by the notebook bios anymore, unfortunately, it's very likely that your hard drive has gone bad on you.
Try tapping 'F8' to get into safe mode since it's easy to try, but isn't going to work if the notebook isn't seeing your hard drive.

At this point you probably have 2 separate but somewhat related concerns.

1. If you are worried about the data on the hard drive, it will probably not be easy or cheap to get to it if the hard drive is not detected.
You may want to discuss or take it to a store you trust since data recovery isn't something I know as much about, or even look into data recovery services if the data is that important to you.

If you want to look into it on your end, you can also get a USB hard drive adapter for your notebook hard drive (as long as you are able to remove it safely?) to connect it to another computer if available, but almost isn't worth trying if the notebook bios doesn't detect the hard drive since the other computer probably will not see it either.
In the slim chance that something happened to your notebook and not the hard drive, you may be able to access your hard drive and data.

2. Not sure if you want to put anymore money into the notebook to get it working again (assuming you're not under warranty or extended warranty), but if the hard drive just went bad, you probably can get it working again by installing another hard drive and Windows (which may be another hurdle if you don't have a back up).

Well, hope this gives you a better idea of the situation and you may want to discuss more with others or have them check into it in case there is something I'm missing.

Good luck!

The hard drive has been detected. Now what? Thank you again

cl-Albert
03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
The hard drive has been detected. Now what? Thank you again

That's a usually good sign for your hard drive at least.

1. Did you try to get into Windows safe mode by tapping the 'F8' key at boot up and have any luck with that (the process is rather similar to tapping 'F2' to get into the bios, but you may need to tap 'F8' a bit longer to see the menu for safe mode)?

2. Do you have a way to boot to DOS and check if the hard drive folders/data are still intact (otherwise, don't worry about it)?