PDA

View Full Version : Rog for design job? And warranty question

MPerni
09-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi, im new in this forum. Just join today because i wanted to read some opinions and if the G74sx had bugs (cause in stores they dont advise you) and i got surprised for the quantity of threads.
Im from Argentina and i work with design, video (all full hd) and photo editing, i use Adobe Package, Avid media composer, 3dmax and Boujou. I am looking forward to buy an G74SX-A2, i think all this programs will work just fine with this notebook but im not sure. All my life i use desktop computers and i want to change because im needing to take the computer (the notebook if i get it) to several places. I also enjoy playing video games xd.
So in november im going to New York for travell and i might buy this notebook in JR, but i get confused with some reviews that they need to take back the notebook to get fixed. I will go just for 10 days, then i will come back to my country, and the warranty that is "gobal" doesnt apply to latinamerica (i send a mail to asus latinamerica and they told me that), so if some hardware get broken i just have to wait till i get back to the states ( i go 1 time every year).
Im needing some opinions to get my mind clear and dont waste $2000 in something that might wont work with time.
Sorry if my english isnt good!

Greetings.

Chastity@ASUS
09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, there was the keyboard mapping fiasco in the beginning, but that's been addressed in BIOS 202, along with the updated ATK Package.

Hardware-wise, it will perform very well with those apps, especially with the speedy SSD, plus the CUDA enhancements. The G74SX-A2 is truly a desktop replacement.

Know that if you need RMA service, it would need to be sent here in the US, as our South American counterparts aren't Global Providers, or pay for local service.

MPerni
09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Chastity!
Then i think that it will be a good idea to take from here all those update in a pendrive (bios, atk and the other drivers), so i can test it at least 10 days.

chrsplmr
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Best of Luck..10 days should be plenty of time to be sure, and thrilled.

EDIT ::: To Below :::

Your Welcome for my humble opinion.
Chastity is the Laptop Goddess here ...
Nobody works harder to make sure ROG Laptops
ROG..if they come looking here..that's why I can
speak with such confidence in this Laptop.
That and they are ROG.c.

MPerni
10-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks chrsplmr.
I was also looking at MSI GT780DXR, but didnt like the keyboard with all that lights as im going to take it to the office, and it looks like a toy keyboard.
I got another question, does the OS come installed in the SSD drive or i have to install it myself? The SSD need firmware upgrade also?

Thanks!

Mikael P.
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi! I got a 74SX not so long ago and I use it mainly for work, 3D animation (Maya in my case). It's been great for that!
But I use external devices only, monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I can't say anything about how it handles and performs just on it's own.

As to your last question, it should come pre-installed with windows. You'll get the option to back it all up on DVD's the first time you start your machine. I am not sure if it's like this on all, but on mine I had 25 gig of the SSD partitioned off as a backup for the system. So it would be easy to reinstall, should you want to.