PDA

View Full Version : g74sx - no hdmi audio

Constantine
09-27-2011, 02:46 AM
As the title suggests I have no audio through HDMI on my g74sx. There is no HDMI device in my Sound device menu. I have tried multiple drivers, including the ATI realtek HDMI driver. Has anyone else had problems?

When I uninstalled the realtek drivers, microsoft installed 4 hdmi audio drivers, they were all greyed out and showed their status as unplugged. When I installed NVidia drivers the default microsoft HDI drivers became Nvidia HDMI, still non working. When I finally reinstalled realtek the HDMI devices disappeared and I went back to just having the Realtek Digital Device which does not transmit audio over HDMI.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chastity@ASUS
09-27-2011, 02:43 PM
What are you connecting to?

Constantine
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
a 32in LG LCD flatscreen tried the tv's hdmi/dvi and just hdmi port

Constantine
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
i know there is a lot going on but do you have any advice for me chastity?

grungeboy2
09-30-2011, 06:51 PM
right click your speaker int he system tray, select playback devices, right click Realtek HDMI-out, select set as default device.

if this fixes your problem, then right on. when you get done you'll have to set the speakers back to the default, same method.

if this doesn't fix your problem, let us know.

Constantine
10-02-2011, 06:58 AM
there is no realtek HDMI out... Ihave four generic HDMI outs that all show unplugged

irdmoose
10-02-2011, 07:09 AM
In the properties for the Playback devices the correct audio output device should actually be named similar to your TV or AV system. For example I have a friend that has a Sony home theater system that he uses to switch devices on his TV. When I plug it in to the AV system, it shows up in my playback devices as a Sony AV system, and when I connect it directly to his TV it shows up as a Panasonic TV. Right-click that and click "Set as default device." Hopefully that should solve it.

Constantine
10-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I wish, and I do appreciate all the advice. but no... thats not it either... Ill take some screenshots... i have it hooked up through HDMI right now.. and Ill post what shows up

Constantine
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-utkR7sGcFew/ToglNnFVN_I/AAAAAAAAAC4/ME6JPZ7Ot5E/s1440/system.jpg

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 05:00 PM
You have NVIDIA's HDMI drivers installed. I disable those, and use Realtek's HDMI driver, currently 2.64

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Constantine
10-02-2011, 08:36 PM
ill try it again, i just did a graphics card update yesterday so had the nvidia. When I had the 2.65 realtek drivers installed the HDMI options didnt even show an the ATI HDMI 2.64 drivers wont install, its like realtek doesnt recognize the HDMI port on my mobo for some reason. Between that and the pixel line I have on this computer Im starting to think ASUS is kinda winging it building these thing. Im just getting frustrated. The customer service has always been great. I just dont have time right now to send it in to get fixed.

Constantine
10-02-2011, 09:03 PM
i have a G74 which has no ATI parts at all (or so i believe) and so thats why the Realtek HDMI driver (for ATI HDMI) wont install. It says no drivers supported in this package.

Constantine
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
yep did a force install of the realtek ati hdmi and now I have this situation going onhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gkipVQxCIB8/TojbuBjIi2I/AAAAAAAAADM/l6o9QCjTZcQ/s1440/AUDIO.jpg

grungeboy2
10-03-2011, 04:49 PM
right click the window in the pic on the far right. select show disabled devices.

does it appear now?

oh and dude, i don't know why you got it in your head to download and fiddle with the ATI drivers, but that laptop has no ATI hardware in it. at all. the only thing messing with those drivers might do, is make your laptop not work.

uninstall them, delete them, don't use them.

your sound hardware is made by Realtek, as is the wired network interface, and the HDMI, and sound in and out ports.

installing drivers that don't go to your stuff will make windows freeze, can potentially fry something in the computer (i say this, but i've never seen it actually happen), and generally is going to be a headache.

you have nvidia graphics and realtek extras, stay away from the ATI site.

Constantine
10-04-2011, 05:06 AM
right click the window in the pic on the far right. select show disabled devices.

does it appear now?

oh and dude, i don't know why you got it in your head to download and fiddle with the ATI drivers, but that laptop has no ATI hardware in it.

Show disabled devices is checked in that picture. Also I understand what you are saying... its not drivers from ATI though, its that the Realtek HDMI drivers, 2.64 or whatever, are built specifically for ATI, they dont make a vanilla HDMI driver. If you look at realteks site it has 2.65 high def drivers for x64 2.65 for x86 and ATI HDMI drivers which is the 2.64 drivers recommended to me on this site. Just a heads up for you.

Constantine
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I normally don't like bumping but I'd really like to resolve this issue. I have the feeling at this point that it could be a hardware issue since it seem we have tried to cure any driver related issues. I already have to get the screen replaced because of a horizontal pixel line that popped up within the first couple months, so I wont be overly upset as long as the issue gets fixed. I don't know why this laptop has given me so many issues, but if the ASUS reps are listening I have been a faithful customer since I built my first desktop with a A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and have been hooked since. I am very disappointed in the quality of what is supposed to be a top of the line laptop. Thankfully the customer service has been great through the company, the representatives, and especially everyone in the community on these forums.

Well, I really just wanted to vent, but if anyone knows an ASUS qualified service shop in the Sacramento area that I can take it to and have it fixed under warranty Id be very happy, I'm under extreme time constraints (probably <20 days) due to an upcoming 6 mo trip overseas (which I got this for) and am afraid that If i send it in using the RMA process I wont get it back in time. Stuck between a rock and a hard place on this.

Any advice, help, or insider ASUS attention would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ASUS and Community.

xeromist
10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Constantine. The closest service center to us is Fremont. The thing is, even if you were to find a closer shop they wouldn't have a replacement screen in stock anyway so you would probably have to wait for it to be ordered. I could take it for you the next time I drive to Frisco but I think it'd be faster for you to ship it. Moose sent his in for repair (he's in Orangevale) and it only took about 5 business days. No guarantees yours will be that quick but barring unforeseen circumstances I think you should be able to get yours done by the end of the month no problem.

grungeboy2
10-06-2011, 04:17 AM
didn't realize about the ati thing, also thought this had been resolved.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

go here. ignore the one that says ATI. just get the standard one. get the one that says standard driver win7/vista 64-bits.

i know it doesn't say HDMI on it like the ati one does, but that's the driver for it.

once you install it the hdmi port is going to be disabled in the sound profile. from what i understand you've got video but no sound. just to be safe use some hdmi cable you use from time to time (like one from the cable box or your ps3, whatever you've got). i've seen some that only do video.

anyway, once you get it install the audio will be disabled. you'll need to the audio panel, enable it, and set it to default. try that and get back to us.

just like in the pic you posted the hdmi will appear right under the digital output option.

let's get it showing up in that window before we call it a hardware failure, resulting in a rma.

Constantine
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I have had them installed before. but tried again fresh and was left with the same results. Its as though the driver installer isnt recognizing the HDMI audio device https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Hx5LB7Z_fsA/To1oP_2-8WI/AAAAAAAAADY/J_-cbFPFBM0/s1440/realtek%252520installed.jpg

Constantine
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Still no HDMI audio. Also blu-ray's wont play on sonicdvd/roxio cineplayer, that came with the laptop. I get sound but no video, and its been completely uninstalled and installed fresh. ArcSoft TotalMedia Player, works fine though. So its a roxio codec issue?

irdmoose
10-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I doubt it's a codec issue. It seems more like a driver/registry issue to me. If the suggested fixes didn't work, it might be a good idea to cut your losses and do a system restore using the factory image. You can either boot to the recovery DVDs that you (hopefully) made when you got your laptop, or you could restart your machine and press the indicated key to enter recovery mode.

*** Warning! This is a destructive restore process! *** If you don't backup your data to an external device (thumb drive, usb hard drive, DVDs, etc.) your data will be eliminated during the recovery process, and your laptop will behave as if you just took it out of the box. A great tool that I use from time to time when doing system recoveries is Windows Easy Transfer, which is included with Win 7. It will back up all of your windows settings, user accounts, pictures, music, saved games, and the like (assuming you've stored them in the standard folders in your user account) to an external storage device or another computer on your network. You will have to manually backup any firefox/chrome bookmarks that you would want to preserve, and any mailboxes from third party email clients.

Then, after the restore once you're back into your fresh and clean copy of Windows, update your graphics drivers from Nvidia's website and test your HDMI connection. If after that point it doesn't work, you will need to call for a RMA number. If, however, it does work... simply restore your Windows Easy Transfer file and start installing your programs and games, and enjoy your fixed machine!

irdmoose
10-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh and I'm living under the shadow of the Folsom Intel campus. I've sent my G73JW-XA1 into the Milpitas RMA service center twice now. Both time's they've been very quick to fix my issue.

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Is there any reason to even install the nVidia HD Audio drivers?

BrodyBoy
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Is there any reason to even install the nVidia HD Audio drivers?
No. But then I've never seen them do any harm, either. (I usually try to remember to uncheck that box during installations. But when I forget, it doesn't seem to matter.....they're just there doing nothing.) They're redundant if you're using the Realtek software.

JRd1st
10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
OK, thanks. I'm off to uninstall them. I already uninstalled all the 3Dvision stuff and the nVidia Updater thing.

Constantine
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Update, I have just received my Latop back from the Milpitas service center, Incredibly quick. They ended up replacing the HDD as well. I have 4 DVD's with me (I am away from home) and Im not sure if that will be enough to create the recovery dvd's.

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Milpitas seems to be the place to send your RMA's.

4 DVD's was enough for mine, but it was a waste because I would never restore to old drivers and bloatware . . . :\

Constantine
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Milpitas seems to be the place to send your RMA's.

4 DVD's was enough for mine, but it was a waste because I would never restore to old drivers and bloatware . . . :\

agreed well almost, id rather restore to perfectly stable (if outdated) drivers, and update again (PITA for sure but stable) and as for bloatware, I went through and deleted it all before I made the recovery disks ;) Well, in the process at the moment. And if the bloatware is already on the recovery installations, better than being stuck with nothing.

Constantine
10-21-2011, 12:19 AM
DAMMIT!!!!! Got the laptop back from RMA, they fixed the screen, and all bluray playability issues I was having, except STILL NO HDMI Audio. I dont even know what to try.

Gredler
10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I was having the same issue after installing nvidia with audio, no luck with getting hdmi audio to play. I tried the ATI driver, wouldn't let me the same way, tried uninstalling all drivers and installing latest realtek drivers and nvidia with no audio, no luck. I finially said screw it and re-install my nvidia software package, with the audio driver selected intentionally cause I was dumbstruck on what else to try. After this everything worked fine,very surprisingly. If I were you I would uninstall your realtek installations, and install the latest package. Then do the same with the latest nvidia package (INCLUDING AUDIO from nvidia). Then plug in HDMI and make sure there is a check mark by both show dissabled and disconnected devices when right clicking in the playback devices list of devices.

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I was having the same issue after installing nvidia with audio, no luck with getting hdmi audio to play. I tried the ATI driver, wouldn't let me the same way, tried uninstalling all drivers and installing latest realtek drivers and nvidia with no audio, no luck. I finially said screw it and re-install my nvidia software package, with the audio driver selected intentionally cause I was dumbstruck on what else to try. After this everything worked fine,very surprisingly. If I were you I would uninstall your realtek installations, and install the latest package. Then do the same with the latest nvidia package (INCLUDING AUDIO from nvidia). Then plug in HDMI and make sure there is a check mark by both show dissabled and disconnected devices when right clicking in the playback devices list of devices.
Maybe you should send that solution in to ASUS RMA so maybe they can fix someone's "No HDMI Sound" problem. :rolleyes:

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
If I were you I would uninstall your realtek installations, and install the latest package. Then do the same with the latest nvidia package (INCLUDING AUDIO from nvidia). Then plug in HDMI and make sure there is a check mark by both show dissabled and disconnected devices when right clicking in the playback devices list of devices.

Thanks for that info! I never use the HDMI out, so I was unaware that the nVida HD Audio driver affected it. Now I know of an actual reason to install it! :)

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Yup, me too! I just copied/pasted his solution into a text file with the solution to the popping noise. Lol

Veltzu
04-02-2014, 08:09 PM
After spending +4 hours of time trying to solve this problem I finally 'found' a solution.

Laptop: Asus G750JW-T4085H 17,3" ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 )

Problem: Video goes OK to LG television via HDMI but audio doesn't. NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port 0) says "No connection" even though the HDMI is plugged in. I cannot change the audio as a default either.

Solution: restart computer. Restart computer again immedially. The audio controls detects a LG TV-C ( NVIDIA High Definition Audio ) and I have chosen it as "default". Magic happens and it works.

Note I: I didn't remove any drivers at any point. I had newest drivers via Windows update and NVIDIA Geforce Experience.
Note II: However, I plugged in the HDMI cable multiple times during this +4 hours: sometimes the TV was on, sometimes it was OFF.
Note III: From control panel, I did "disable" the NVIDIA High Definition Audio" few times (and put it on. And disabled it and removed the HDMI etc etc).

I hope this helps someone.