PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal that the top left USB port is very slow?

The Jackal
03-06-2014, 07:37 AM
The other USB ports give me 110 MB/S when copying data TO my Western Digital USB 3.0 My Passport drive. The port on the left (top side) gives me only 20 MB/S and very often keeps disconnecting / reconnecting the drive.

is this normal or shall I take the laptop to the service center? what could be the fixed? I had just gotten the laptop like 1 month back where they changed the motherboard because the laptop suddenly started getting a blank black screen on startup and wouldn't even boot

aarbogh
03-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Looks like several people has problem with the USB ports. I get random access to my WD disk and rather slow rates when they work at all on any USB port. But it looks like the top left is the worst for me to (for some reason). On that port I only see the disk (and content) for some seconds before it disconnect and I get a “USB device not recognised” message.

--
hm

The Jackal
03-06-2014, 11:31 AM
so this seems like a general issue with the G750 laptops not just mine heh?

aarbogh
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Yes, there is something funny with the left side ports. None of my USB 3 HD or thumb drive works, all of my USB 2 stuff does.

--
hm

Yongz@ROG
07-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Same goes with me even i haven facing any disconnect issue yet...i using USB 3.0 HD but transfer rate only gives me around 30~39 mb/s on the left side of the usb ports while right side function normally....does asus company know about this issue or they don't give a S**T about it i am doubt almost every G750 laptop facing this issue built quality suck:((Made In China) what else can i say?

hmscott
07-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Same goes with me even i haven facing any disconnect issue yet...i using USB 3.0 HD but transfer rate only gives me around 30~39 mb/s on the left side of the usb ports while right side function normally....does asus company know about this issue or they don't give a S**T about it i am doubt almost every G750 laptop facing this issue built quality suck:((Made In China) what else can i say?

Yongz@ROG, it seems to be a problem with certain USB 3.0 devices / controllers.

My JH left side and right side ports get the same throughput with new USB 3.0 devices; my 1TB HD gets the same throughput in the USB 3.0 enclosure as when in the G750, about 85MB-100MB/sec. And, when I had the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD in the same enclosure I got 400MB+ Read/Write, slightly slower than when in the G750.

Here is the enclosure:

USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Enclosure - JU-SA0H11-S1
http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-ide-sata-6gb-s-2-5-enclosure.html

cl-Albert
07-14-2014, 05:07 PM
The other USB ports give me 110 MB/S when copying data TO my Western Digital USB 3.0 My Passport drive. The port on the left (top side) gives me only 20 MB/S and very often keeps disconnecting / reconnecting the drive.

is this normal or shall I take the laptop to the service center? what could be the fixed? I had just gotten the laptop like 1 month back where they changed the motherboard because the laptop suddenly started getting a blank black screen on startup and wouldn't even boot

If you haven't already, consider contacting your local ASUS support to send it back or see what they say, but not sure myself if a solution is available yet.

Also, tell me the full G750 model name if possible to look into it more on my end. Thanks.

Yongz@ROG
07-17-2014, 02:15 PM
@hmscott,thanks for the reply me and thanks for the info you gave me,i manage to solve it by reset it back to default probably just some driver/software issues.And now it works like normal:D

hmscott
07-17-2014, 02:21 PM
@hmscott,thanks for the reply me and thanks for the info you gave me,i manage to solve it by reset it back to default probably just some driver/software issues.And now it works like normal:D

Yongz@ROG,what did you reset? Do you mean you restored back to out of the box OS install with F9 / Backtracker recovery restore?

Are you on Windows 8.0 or 8.1 now, and fully updated OS with updated drivers?

That is why I try to stay up to date with current OS patches and drivers, and test on a regular basis after / between updates so I can be sure everything is running - and to catch it at the point it stops working :)

Glad to hear it is working :)