PDA

View Full Version : Help! quite confused about my loving asus g750jx!

brianna
03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
So after long hours of pondering ... I clicked on buy it now and now i have a brand new ASUS G750JX, The problem is that i am just too cautious and picky.... I want to do :

1. I want to upgrade to SSD, my drive is 750 gb, pretty good but i want to go all sad. what is a good brand, my choices are samsung pro , eve and samsung SM841 and SM512e... the latter two came with MacBooks. really i just need a good reliable ssd.

2. Upgrade all my RAMs... the default brand is Hynix low voltage. should i get the same brand or look for better ones? any suggestion? any particular thing i should be looking for? what about a crucial Crucial CT2C8G3S160BMCEU?

3. what i can do software wise? i want to install mac operating system too to do my schoolwork in there... do you recommend that? should i update all my drivers first and do a back up?

Cormogram
03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
IMHO:
1. I would go with Intel, Samsung or Corsair. I've tried them and I trust.
2. You may consider Corsair CMSX16GX3M2B2133C11 * about US$ 200 a pair of 8GB each (16GB total).
3. I usually use other operating systems on my Windows 7 desktop through virtual machines. I prefer VMware, but you can try others like VirtualBox, Parallels, etc.

Destructis
03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
As far as the SSD, I would suggest Samsung EVO. The Samsung PRO is much more expensive and you won't see any difference between them. What size are you looking at? Keep an eye on Newegg. I bought the 500 gig version for $309.00 and it included the USB cable to clone your current HD. Not all of them will include the cable, but it is cheap on Newegg too if you need to buy one.

Swapping it out was extremely easy the migration software from Samsung worked for me without a hitch.

Wireeater
03-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I went with a Toshiba Q Series Pro. I got the 256GB from BestBuy. I had 25$ off from rewards but I think the normal cost was $179.99.

This review is what sold it. The value was good and this drive was on top of all the TIER 1 drives.

http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/toshiba-q-series-256gb-ssd-hdts225xzsta-review/18983/

It is blazing fast. Boot time is almost non existent on a clean install of 8.1 pro. The drive also has very low power consumption which is great while in battery use.

Aside from adding MORE memory, I highly doubt you are going to notice any difference just changing it out for another brand. I would just add to what you have installed.

numanRC
03-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Samsung EVO is TLC and PRO is MLC. MultiLayerCell last longer than Triple Layer (one store 2 bits per cell and the over 3 bits per cell and more bitts "kills" the cells faster.)

Darnassus
03-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Samsung EVO is top drive it seems at the moment, lasts quite the good while and goes bang for your buck. I think it lasts twice as long as normal SSD's due to multi layer? Don't quote me.

Don't get Corsair ram, it's rubbish. Ram is ram, if anything was to slow your system, ram would be the last thing. You don't need performance. Just get generic, regular ram, make sure it's low voltage for the Haswell. 1.35volt is the need. Also go for 8x2, not 4x4 less power consumption if you use only 2 sticks.

You can find a Hackintosh thread here, here it is.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE&country=&status=

My choice if I had the need for a Mac OS though would be to install it through Oracle VM VirtualBox, but that's just me, you can have a seperate boot if you want. Not sure how the drivers will work with that, though, I'm not the expert on it. Just giving some insight.

TJ Hooker
03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Samsung EVO is top drive it seems at the moment, lasts quite the good while and goes bang for your buck. I think it lasts twice as long as normal SSD's due to multi layer? Don't quote me.

I know you said not to quote you, but... ;)

If by "multi layer" you're referring to multi-level cells (MLC), it actually significantly reduces the lifespan of a drive, not increases it. Most consumer SSDs on the market now are MLC, meaning they store 2 bits of information per cell (technically MLC should mean any # of bits >1, but in practice it always seems to be used to refer to 2 bits/cell). Some new SSDs (including the EVO) are now going to 3 bits per cell (TLC, triple level cell), reducing the endurance even further. However by most accounts the endurance of TLC is still good enough for typical consumer use (check out the "endurance" page of AnandTech's review of the EVO), and every review of the EVO that I've seen has said it's a pretty great drive.

Darnassus
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Drat, but then I'm correct right? Since it's not a triple layer cell like other SSD's? I thought triple layer was the norm for SSD's now, while multi was that.. odd occasion or something.

Either way, lasts longer than triple layer drive! ;d

TJ Hooker
03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
The Samsung 840 EVO is a TLC (triple level cell) SSD.

Shawnnepc
03-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Drat, but then I'm correct right? Since it's not a triple layer cell like other SSD's? I thought triple layer was the norm for SSD's now, while multi was that.. odd occasion or something.

Either way, lasts longer than triple layer drive! ;d

Last I checked, Samsung is the only retail TLC based SSD out.

Synthetic testing shows that TLC SSDs have lived though close to 3,000 write cycles (Samsung guarantees at least 1,000 write cycles) which is around ~710TB worth of data rewrites.

This is a pretty good article here: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

If we are to use the data from their testing, it would appear that under normal use TLC SSDs are capable of living up to 75 years.

I think everyone will be OK if they use TLC SSDs :P

brianna
03-14-2014, 11:35 PM
thank you very much for the "cable" hint.

brianna
03-14-2014, 11:37 PM

NiPeGun
08-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Guys, I created a web yesterday, to centralize all stuff related to hackintoshing Asus ROG Notebooks and motherboards. ONLY for Asus ROG products. Not normal Asus products. The web is:

www.roghackintosh.org

Right now Im creating all the structure for the database and forums. So, it is possible you cant find your notebook or motherboard. Be patient. Maybe in a few days you can find it operative. I mean, it is operative already, but since the forum will be in english, spanish, french, russian, chinese, portuguese, hebrew, etc, It will take me some time to create all forum structure for all languajes.

If you are and advanced hackintosh user with ROG hardware, and want to help, contact me at contact@roghackintosh.org If you know other languaje than spanish or english I will need your help for sure.

Im excited with the idea. With a little help from the ROG forum community, we can build a solid ROG hackintosh encyclopedia.

Regards.