PDA

View Full Version : G750JW Wifi Problem

B0B ROSS
03-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Hello!

I Bought an ROG G750JW last week and i found out that i have problems with my wifi when it stayed connected for about 5-10 minutes before it just shuts my whole wifi connection out, everything: iPad Iphone and other computers gets dissconnected aswell.

I just troubleshooted the internet and after 20-30 seconds im online again. and then just same thing happens again.
With the internet cable it stays online perfectly fine.

At first i thought it was Windows 8 or my router. I reinstalled Windows, got new drivers and went to my parents to try with their router. Still same problem and i called ASUS support and they did not know what could be the problem so they said that i could just return the computer from where i bought it and get a new one.

So i did, i took my computer and drove my car for 3 hours for the closest shop (bought it on internet) and got a new one, drove home and found out that i have the same damn problem again.

Im pretty sure that this is something that comes from the computer beacouse i have used my wifi with at least 20 different devices (computers, ipads, smartphones etc,) And never experienced this thing before.

Neither my parents has seen this before and when i log in with this computer they get it aswell.

I'd see some threads here about wifi problems on this series but never did fint a solid fix.

Is there anything i can do to fix this for sure? or should i just return the second computer i got while i still have warranty and never by an ROG computer again?

Sorry for my english! i did bad things while i should have been in school! Peace!

Prostar Computer
03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
What did you do when you trouboshooted the internet? And do you know which wireless card your laptop has?

Tristyn
03-08-2014, 01:58 AM
I'm experiencing an issue as well. Not too much different from yours, but different nonetheless.

It seems my wifi will work just fine... That is until the computer goes to sleep or I power it down. On resume/boot up, Windows 8.1 can no longer connect to my network. It's absolutely obnoxious. In order to reconnect, I have to unplug my cable modem, wait ten seconds and then plug it in again. EVERY TIME. It's a very tedious and annoying issue. I have yet to try it on another access point, but I never had these issues before I upgraded to 8.1. So I'm thinking its more of windows problem than an ASUS problem.

Either way, I wanted to share this and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

If I keep having issues like this, I'm going to exchange this machine with another one.

Tristyn
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I contacted ASUS support today and they walked me through a couple of steps. The first step did not immediately fix the issue but may have contributed to the overall solution that the second step completed.

Try this out.
1. Download the latest driver for your wireless from the ASUS website. You can identify your card in Device Manager. Install the driver and restart.
2. Uninstall the device from your system (DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVER) only the device and restart your system to do a force reinstall of your wireless card.

This seems to have fixed my issue.

noone
03-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Your Asus is disabliing the modem? I've not seen that before.

Are you sure that the issue is not with the modem? I think a healthy modem would not go down because of 1 flakey connection

hmscott
03-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I'm experiencing an issue as well. Not too much different from yours, but different nonetheless.

It seems my wifi will work just fine... That is until the computer goes to sleep or I power it down. On resume/boot up, Windows 8.1 can no longer connect to my network. It's absolutely obnoxious. In order to reconnect, I have to unplug my cable modem, wait ten seconds and then plug it in again. EVERY TIME. It's a very tedious and annoying issue. I have yet to try it on another access point, but I never had these issues before I upgraded to 8.1. So I'm thinking its more of windows problem than an ASUS problem.

Either way, I wanted to share this and see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

If I keep having issues like this, I'm going to exchange this machine with another one.

Updating the driver, uninstalling the old one first, was the right fix.

Also update the firmware on your wireless AP/Modem, if you can access it - is it a provider provided multi-role device - modem/router/wireless AP?

I have seen the need to reset a wireless AP after sleeping a laptop before, not on the G770, and updating the driver on the laptop when an update was available was the fix.

The G750 has had a lot of wireless/BT issues during the Windows 8/8.1 update aftermath.

Just recently the 8.1 updated Bluetooth driver for Atheros BT fixed the hang at shutdown/reboot problem.

Fortunately, many of the wireless cards, like this Kill 1202 worked great before/after 8.1, but I know some of the others haven't.

Now you can enjoy your laptop, it's a good feeling to be through all the driver problems. :)

Tristyn
03-09-2014, 06:13 AM
Im glad you had some success, I on the other hand have not. I lied. The problem is still persisting and now I'm starting to get frustrated.

hmscott
03-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Im glad you had some success, I on the other hand have not. I lied. The problem is still persisting and now I'm starting to get frustrated.

Yeah, wireless sucks when it isn't working right.

What is the model/make of the wireless router / modem? Which wireless card does your G750 have, make/model, what driver version number, and what is the OS version you are running.

This might take some actual debugging :)

Tristyn
03-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks for your feedback! So awesome to have community support.

According to Device Manager I have the Broadcom 802.11ac Wireless Adapter

The modem is one of Comcast's various pieces of hardware. I believe it's the Arris TG862G.

ASUS earlier said the next step might have to be a system refresh, which I want to avoid at all costs because I've spent hours over the last week and half getting all my important software and games on here.

Tristyn
03-09-2014, 06:34 AM
I'm running Windows 8.1. The driver is version 6.30.223.143. It's the driver I got from the ASUS website during my communication with the ASUS tech support team.

hmscott
03-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your feedback! So awesome to have community support.
According to Device Manager I have the Broadcom 802.11ac Wireless Adapter
The modem is one of Comcast's various pieces of hardware. I believe it's the Arris TG862G.
ASUS earlier said the next step might have to be a system refresh, which I want to avoid at all costs because I've spent hours over the last week and half getting all my important software and games on here.

Have you done enough to warrant a recovery restore? I would wait on that unless you have some corruption / infection, or you aren't sure what the state of the installation is, like you got it from someone else.

A clean recovery is a good thing, but a waste of time if you don't need it.

I don't want to say it is the Comcast hardware, but it is probably the Comcast hardware ;)

I bought a Motorola SB6141 modem to replace the Comcast modem/router/wireless AP, and my cable drops stopped - then I found out my cable signal was sub par when I upgrade to HD TV, and now it makes sense why the SB6141 helped, it is a better modem.

For $89 at Target, Frys, Sears, Staples, OfficeDepot, etc you can find the SB6141 pretty much everywhere.

As far as a replacement router, there are so many good choices. You have an 802.11ac wireless card, so you might as well get an AC router, like an Asus RT-AC68U, or Netgear NightHawk would be nice.

If $ are short you can get by with a cheap Dlink N router, I have one as a backup - the DIR-655 is cheap now.

Here is the latest Broadcom 802.11ac driver from Asus download area, give that a try first, if the version you have installed is older:
Version V6.30.223.181
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/WLAN/WLAN_Broadcom_Win81_64_VER630223181.zip

I got that one from the new G750JM download area:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

The Broadcom wireless driver hosted in the G750JX download area is a bit older:
Version V6.30.223.143
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/WLAN/WLAN_Broadcom_Win81_64_VER630223143.zip

G750JX download area:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JX&hashedid=x1g0H6pE0yWYGV8x

All the G750 download links:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JX&hashedid=x1g0H6pE0yWYGV8x

Not all are sold yet, so you will have to check occasionally to see when their download areas get populated.

Asus releases the newest drivers for their newest laptops - you can use those downloads because they are for the same hardware - newer versions most often support older hardware, and Asus doesn't always back fill new driver releases into all the laptop download areas - you eventually need to forage in the new laptop support areas.

Rayle
03-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi, I've got a similar problem with my brand new G750JX. I also have the Broadcom 802.11 AC wireless card, and from what I can tell I have the latest driver version for Windows 8 (don't have 8.1 yet). Whenever I attempt to download anything on this machine, or do something that eats bandwidth like streaming videos or even opening too many tabs at once, every device in the house (including the G750JX) loses connection to the wireless network for a minute. My router is a Linksys WRT160Nv2. Please help, I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do!

B0B ROSS
03-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi all! And thanks for all the answeres! There might or might not be a fix for this but it is clearly no one that should have to sit for hours and hours with a brand new 110 computer trying to fix loads of big issues.

I took my second G750 and handed it back to the store. I think that was the only solid way to really fix my issue (sad to say tho) it could be a really nice computer.

- to asus support for 0 help

+ to all the amazing and helpfull ppl on the forum!

Hope you all sort your problems and find some happy little trees!!