PDA

View Full Version : New Asus ROG G750-JH owner with some questions

Sauted
03-07-2014, 04:39 AM
Hi guys
I just recently got a Asus ROG G750-JH and I got some questions

1) If I upgrade the windows 8 in the laptop to windows 8.1 using my own DVD (I have purchased Windows 8.1 before, and I have the DVD and key that comes with it), can I still use the factory reset to revert it back to windows 8?

2) For the Windows 8.1 drivers, I saw that we can get the drivers from here:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JH/#support_Download_40
However, there are no attached Graphics Card drivers, do I need to get it from the nVidia website?

3) The Windows 8 driver list also have a lot of other drivers, like Chipset, LAN, Card Reader, Touchpad, Utilities, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Intel Management Engine.

4) What about the Asus programs that are preinstalled into the laptop? Do I need install that?

Thank you very much for your help!

Darnassus
03-07-2014, 04:59 AM
1: Yes. As long as you don't over-write the hidden partition when installing the new operating system. (It's hidden on your SSD or mSata, which ever configuration you have. ( Note you don't need to use your own disk, you can upgrade from 8 to 8.1 with your current installation for free without wasting a Win8 Key of your own. The machine has a key embedded into the laptop. You can also USE that key by burning yourself a copy of Windows 8.1 single language version and use that I believe.

Also, if you have a 16 gigabyte USB, for safe keeping, you can backup your recovery partition and stow it away, then delete it from your disk to gain back another 10 gigabytes of room.

2: Yes. 334.89 should be fine. (For non 3D version)

3: I myself downloaded a copy and filed it all into a USB for safe keeping if I ever happened to need to install Win8 without the internet. If you have problems, try narrow it down and install that latest update only. Don't update everything unless there's a problem.. the site's updates aren't 100% reliable.

4: Not really, I kept them myself just for the sake of knowing what I have and maybe use them in the future even though it's unlikely. But no, not really.

Sauted
03-07-2014, 05:03 AM
1: Yes. As long as you don't over-write the hidden partition when installing the new operating system. (It's hidden on your SSD or mSata, which ever configuration you have. ( Note you don't need to use your own disk, you can upgrade from 8 to 8.1 with your current installation for free without wasting a Win8 Key of your own. The machine has a key embedded into the laptop. You can also USE that key by burning yourself a copy of Windows 8.1 single language version and use that I believe.

Also, if you have a 16 gigabyte USB, for safe keeping, you can backup your recovery partition and stow it away, then delete it from your disk to gain back another 10 gigabytes of room.

2: Yes. 334.89 should be fine. (For non 3D version)

3: I myself downloaded a copy and filed it all into a USB for safe keeping if I ever happened to need to install Win8 without the internet. If you have problems, try narrow it down and install that latest update only. Don't update everything unless there's a problem.. the site's updates aren't 100% reliable.

4: Not really, I kept them myself just for the sake of knowing what I have and maybe use them in the future even though it's unlikely. But no, not really.

Thank you for your reply!

1. For the factory reset, I've tried what I read on google, which is to press F9 on start-up to get to the factory reset screen. When I press it, it doesn't show up. Instead it just leads me directly into the login page. The hidden partition for recovery is still there on my system (I checked it inside the Disk Management). Do you know why?
I'm not worried about the wasting a Windows 8 key, as my university lets students buy Windows 8 for $11.

2. What I meant about question 3 is that should I use those Windows 8 drivers to install into my Windows 8.1 copy? For the drivers listed above, Asus only has the Windows 8 drivers, but I don't see them listed inside the Windows 8.1 section.

Darnassus
03-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Ah, they should work regardless.

When you're in disk management, just delete the volume, then extend the free space.

Just please remember not to do so until you have a backup of it, you never know when you'll need it.

I think the shortcut for BIOS is F2

Sauted
03-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Ah, they should work regardless.

When you're in disk management, just delete the volume, then extend the free space.

Just please remember not to do so until you have a backup of it, you never know when you'll need it.

I think the shortcut for BIOS is F2

Oh ok. I'm planning to just keep the volume, as it's not that much.

Thanks for your help :)