PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750 - Chi Mei vs AU OPTRONICS

QC_Desired
03-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Poll added:

Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Monitor>Generic PnP Monitor>Properties>Details>Hardware_IDs

Hi,

1) What are the differences between the Chi Mei and AU Optronics display on the G750?

2) What are the specifications for each display?

3) Which (Chi Mei or AUO) Matte LCD panel on the G750 is best?

Thanks!

hmscott
03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
I had a Chi Mei on my JW/JX and now have an AUO on the JH.

Both screens are great. When I switched to the AUO I was initially disappointed because it would only run at 70hz, but everything else was good.

Set the Chi Mei to 100hz, if it is stable, otherwise somewhere over 80hz, to get rid of screen flicker on some images. There is a post with ICC profiles for the Chi Mei, which helps with color balance.

The AUO runs way bright, Retina Searing, but turn it down to 70% or less and it is great.

The AUO color looks great uncorrected, so that is "better", but with a balanced ICC profile the Chi Mei looks better than without. But, even without an ICC profile I didn't have any complaints.

For all screens I suggest uninstalling Asus Splendid and set the Windows Desktop to 100% in the Display Control panel - default is 125% on Windows 8.0.

You can look up the spec's online, but I couldn't tell enough difference between specs when I checked, you really just have to look at them in person and judge if it works for you.

I think you can be happy with either one. :)

QC_Desired
03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
I had Chi Mei displays on previously returned JH's (touchpad installation and hinge cover issues, but did not notice any screen bleed on Chi Mei).

I read somewhere that the contrast ratio might be nearly double on the Chi Mei, and the reviews I read for the G750JH (before purchase) were Chi Mei, but I can't find the official specs for either.

Thanks again for your constructive input. :)

hmscott
03-09-2014, 10:09 PM
AUO B173HW02 V1
http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20121224094347950/B173HW02_V1_Ver0.1_20110427_201306195161.pdf

Chi Mei N173HGE-L11
http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20110509170835357/N173HGE-L11%20ver%202.0.pdf

It depends how you calculate the contrast, or measure it, and where in the range of contrast response you pick a value. I think setting the brightness at 100% offsets the contrast, reducing the brightness to 70% or so improves the images greatly.

Whatever the response, both screens are great, and if I were to pick right now, I would pick the AUO - but only because it is what I am using and how striking the video/images are every day.

Compared to a glossy screen, which is impossible to read at client sites, both matte screens look great in comparison.

QC_Desired
03-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Wow nice work finding those specs. Thanks.

I'm no expert, and correct me if I am wrong, but at first glance it looks like the Chi Mei has slightly better specs, not only with contrast ratio, and viewing angle, but also response times.

Any other attributes I/we should be looking if choosing between these two displays?

hmscott
03-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Wow nice work finding those specs. Thanks.

I'm no expert, and correct me if I am wrong, but at first glance it looks like the Chi Mei has slightly better specs, not only with contrast ratio, and viewing angle, but also response times.

Any other attributes I/we should be looking if choosing between these two displays?

That's why it's tough to go by specs with monitors, you have to view the screen and decide if it works for you. :)

rdiscipio1
03-10-2014, 12:46 AM
I think all the JW/JX have Chi Mei, and the AUO is on the JH as the non-3d screen option.

I

I have a G750JW with a AUO

hmscott
03-10-2014, 01:56 AM
I have a G750JW with a AUO

Thanks rdiscipio1, how do you like the AUO? Have you compared it to the Chi Mei / Samsung?

rdiscipio1
03-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks rdiscipio1, how do you like the AUO? Have you compared it to the Chi Mei / Samsung?

I have not compared it to any other G750 laptop screens but it is as good if not better than the screen on my G75 (also a matte). Like many, you can see (if you look really hard) a grid or dot pattern on static white background(s), but in color or motion (RE: Games) it is very good, no bleeding or backlighting issues at all. I must admit I prefer the matte to the glossy screens on my laptops though.

QC_Desired
03-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Anyone know what model display is being offered with the JZ?

QC_Desired
03-16-2014, 12:42 AM
Poll added.

To confirm your display model:

Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Monitor>Generic PnP Monitor>Properties>Details>Hardware_IDs

mars803
03-27-2014, 10:42 AM
also on my G750JW i have AUO.
My first G750jw that i changed because of no-keyboard-light and flashing display had Chi Mei.
This one with the AUO seems to be pretty good after 2 weeks of usage and testing. Also no flashing display ^_^

Sharky_RUS
04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Good morning everyone!
I have screen AUO B173HW02 V1. Read russian forum and found that people have problems with "pixel grid" on this type of screen. It is easy to see this grid from 0.4-0.5m distance. Due to my experience with my previous laptop (ASUS G Series G50VT-A1) I really can see some lines between pixels on my G 750JH... There is also information about blinking screens but it is only concerning to Chi Mei displays. My AUO is not blinking.
Does anybody have 120Ghz display? Looks like it is only from Samsung brand... isn't it?

zetdotcom
04-04-2014, 05:43 AM
I just bought an G750JH with matte AU Optronics Display and i like it. Till now i see just one issue .. its "bleeding" ( the right part ) but its not disturbing me.

Have a nice day.

hmscott
04-04-2014, 07:27 AM
I just bought an G750JH with matte AU Optronics Display and i like it. Till now i see just one issue .. its "bleeding" ( the right part ) but its not disturbing me.
Have a nice day.

It isn't immediately clear, but you will find the AUO display is a bit too bright at 100%. I run mine at 65%, and it is plenty bright indoors. That brightness reduction also helps with cutting down the bleeding effect to the point I don't notice it at all. I am fortunate that the right side doesn't have any pinch points - bright concentrations of light, just an overall brightness - and at 65% it isn't at all objectionable to me.

zetdotcom
04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Yes ur right, at 100 its too bright for my eyes for that I set it to 80. For now im happy with the screen(beautiful colors, good contrast, good freshrate etc.) leaving away the bleeding that I rarely see it.

hmscott
04-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes ur right, at 100 its too bright for my eyes for that I set it to 80. For now im happy with the screen(beautiful colors, good contrast, good freshrate etc.) leaving away the bleeding that I rarely see it.

zetdotcom, It is nice to hear from someone else that is happy with their screen :)

We hear so much *****ing on here about the screens, both Chi Mei and AUO...and I love both of them.

Beautiful screens, and everyone else that sees my G750's, that comment on the screen, say the same thing.

It took me a while to wind the brightness down to 65% from 100% - your retina's need to recover from the searing brightness at 100% - I think I started at 80% too, but after a while I kept reducing it and getting acclimated to the lower setting.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the recommended 1920x1080 refresh rate for the AUO is 70hz, and that can be set as a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control panel.