PDA

View Full Version : Asus g750JW db71 need help to upgrade

Kandem
03-09-2014, 05:48 AM
i just bought a g750jw months ago .. and i want to upgrade it

i get 12gb ram and a 1tb hdd (want to upgrade to a 120gb ssd)

so i need 1.35 volts ram
but how can i get to 32gb of ram ? since the other two slots are inside the laptop ( i mean not where the other two slots are)

and the other question is ..

if u buy a ssd how can i copy my original windows and all that stuff ?

btw sry if im english have some flaws ..(its not my foreing language )

hmscott
03-09-2014, 06:29 AM
i just bought a g750jw months ago .. and i want to upgrade it

i get 12gb ram and a 1tb hdd (want to upgrade to a 120gb ssd)

so i need 1.35 volts ram
but how can i get to 32gb of ram ? since the other two slots are inside the laptop ( i mean not where the other two slots are)

and the other question is ..

if u buy a ssd how can i copy my original windows and all that stuff ?

btw sry if im english have some flaws ..(its not my foreing language )

If you have 12GB, that means you have 3 x 4GB DIMM's installed, with 1 free slot for another 4GB DIMM. That is the upgrade I would do first. It is easy, and if you use HWinfo, AIDA64, CPU-Z to find out what make/model of DIMM's you already have installed it should be easy to find a place to get a 4th one for not too much $.

Replacing all 4 DIMM's isn't easy, and if you haven't pulled apart a laptop before, and I mean popping out all the screws and lifting off the screen from the body, you don't want this to be your first try.

It would be better to find a local dealer that services laptops to do the replacement - but, if you do this you are voiding your warranty.

Asus lets us replace the hard drives, and the 2 DIMM's under the bottom panel, but voids the warranty if you pop off the top.

If you are going to get an SSD, you want at least a 256GB, anything less and you won't have much room after copying over the OS.

I use Macrium Reflect to do the cloning.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I put the new SSD in a USB 3.0 external enclosure, connect to the G750 and do the cloning, then power down the laptop and swap the new SSD in place of the old boot HD. Then power up and boot on the new SSD. Take the old HD and put it in the USB 3.0 enclosure and you now have a fast system and less power drain on the battery when the external drive is disconnected.

Kandem
03-09-2014, 06:55 AM
yep i download Hwinfo and there are 3 4gbram so 1 of those is on the ''easy access slot'' .. i will replace that 4gb ram with two of this

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394348074&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop+ram+16gb

2 8gb ram 8x2

so 16gb ram + 8 gb ram inside laptop dimm

24gb ram its more than enough

and the 250 ssd

thanks for the help ..

hmscott
03-09-2014, 07:05 AM
yep i download Hwinfo and there are 3 4gbram so 1 of those is on the ''easy access slot'' .. i will replace that 4gb ram with two of this

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394348074&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop+ram+16gb

2 8gb ram 8x2

so 16gb ram + 8 gb ram inside laptop dimm

24gb ram its more than enough

and the 250 ssd

thanks for the help ..

You want to be careful mixing memory size/make/speed/latency, it doesn't always go like you expect :)

There are threads here in the G750 area with successful 4GB / 8GB mixing and non-successful - do a search and you can avoid the non-working combo.

As I recall one of the unsuccessful one's contacted Asus and was told that it won't work, but lots of others have and it worked for them. So I know it is possible.

BTW, you didn't post what memory make/model you found, I think copy paste works from most of the apps I listed... if it is Hynix, then getting similar speed Hynix 8GB would be a good idea, same for Samsung, etc.

Whatever you go with, be sure and come back and post your results!

Clintlgm
03-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I didn't see the timings for your choice be sure that you match the timings a latency, the ones you buy should match what you currently have

Kandem
03-09-2014, 07:41 AM

that's what i got .. any advice ?

amazon links can be helpfull .. :V

samsung ddr3 rams

hmscott
03-09-2014, 08:45 AM

that's what i got .. any advice ?

amazon links can be helpfull .. :V

samsung ddr3 rams

Thanks for the screen shots :)

What I usually do is look to the manufacturer to find the larger / smaller version of a DIMM, and check the spec, usually you can find one that is a match.

The Samsung 4GB M474B5173BH0 you have has a Samsung 8GB M474B1G73BH0 match:

M474B1G73BH0 - 8GB
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/computing-dram/detail?productId=7792&iaId=694

M474B5173BH0 - 4GB
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/computing-dram/detail?productId=7791&iaId=694

Here are all the Samsung DDR3 SODIMM's, sort by voltage:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/computing-dram/catalogue?iaId=694

cronik916
03-10-2014, 08:42 AM
when i got my g750jw at best buy i also bought 2 sticks of 8gb ram that they had, and didnt even give it a second thought, it worked as soon as i popped it in and still freaking flys. In my own personal experience i have yet to find a difference in ram frequency or Mhz as long as the dimm slots share the same type so in your case i would either replace the 1 4gb u have in the bottom slot with a set of 8gb of whatever company as long as its the 1.35volt like the first sticky post in this forum tells u to do. ram here near silicon valley is cheap as ****, so u might just want to bite the bullet and pay a couple extra bucks to not have to worry about compatibility. just my 2 cents on it

As for the ssd, u will need to buy a cloning cable like hmscot said, i initially did not know this so i ended up making a backup asus backtrack copy of the recovery cd and then wiping the 1tb hdd and just sticking in the ssd in its slot then booting from recovery and reinstalling windows. having never used a ssd before in any of my desktop rigs i was unaware of how amazingly ****ing awesome they are. bottom line its a game changer, night and day faster than the hdd.

I would also reccomend the Samsung 256gb 840pro ssd(not evo, which is newer) i have since bought the 256gb evo for my desktop and use it on that. the 840 pro is faster. not way faster but faster. i read it has better nand chip in it then the evo and on the review sites its still the overall fastest ssd on the market. or was a month ago. that is specifically the 256 840 pro, the 128gb is not as fast and like hmscott said is too small, u would be suprised how fast the thing fills up even when u r keeping a eye on what u send to it as opposed to the 1tb hdd slave.

anyway hope some or any of this info helps ya out, cheers man