PDA

View Full Version : G750JH-DB71 - Changing HDD setup out of the box?

PhantomRain
03-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Hey, I'm all but resigned to getting the G750JH-DB71. Given my time limits for gaming etc. it's probably not worth waiting for 860/880M. My last gaming laptop was an Asus M50VM X1 which I got more than my money's worth out of (poor thing's still trucking after some new thermal paste and a resoldered power pin).

My only question is—how easy is it to tinker with the HDD setup on the JH? I'm still paranoid/feeling burned about SSDs, and so if possible I'd like to turn the two 128 GB SSDs into a RAID-1 setup so I'm not instantly forced out of commission if one of them fails. The 1 TB disk drive would be left as a separate drive entirely.

I'm just a bit paranoid. The idea of having both 128s and the 1 TB all linked as one logical drive makes me worry if one of the drives suicides. From what I've been reading about the SSDs though, they seem proprietary so if one failed I guess I'd have to send it in for repair anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this one. Much appreciated.

cosmicmango
03-10-2014, 04:19 PM
The only option for the 2x128GB SSD is RAID0 – RAID1 is not available when setting up the RAID array. The link below will help you get familiar with G750JH SSD & HDD.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-MSATA-drives-with-larger-drives

PhantomRain
03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks a bunch. Asus support finally messaged me back too and said that the SSDs and the 1TB HDD ship as separate drive letters—if so, that's perfect. Just don't want an SSD failure to mess with the HDD.

If I can harrangue you one more time, why are retailer prices so different? B&W's got it for like $300 cheaper than Newegg, which concerns me; I feel like I'm missing something, but the specs on both models are identical. I've always done Newegg before for most components so I'm a little confused.

pstansel
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Check out Amazon too :)