PDA

View Full Version : G74SX horrible touchpad

fsjk85
09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
hey guys, i just got my brand new g74sx-xr1 and the first thing i notice is i cant type without the mouse clicking everywhere, so i try and adjust the sensitivity or the palmcheck that most touchpads have only to discover they dont exist on my laptop, my friend who has the best buy model has those options
turns out i have a Sentelic touchpad whereas he has a Synaptics one.
ive tried for hours to get the synaptics drivers to install properly and give me full functionality but nope.
so it appears my only solution to have a proper touchpad is to replace it with a synaptics ones, anyone know where to get one or any ideas?

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Do the bios 202 update, then install ATK 1.0.0010. These helped my touchpad problem for some reason.

Those updates can be found here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

And BIOS flasing instructions can be seen here. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html
(Use the Easy Flash method)

Which Sentelic driver version did you update to?

fsjk85
09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
ive been using the new bios, but ill try out the ATK drivers
ive been using 9.1.3.5, but ive tried the other versions on the asus page, none can give me any sensitivity options.
also missing is any usefull scroll function, the two finger gestures are rubbish and the right side scrolling is just awful, ive scrolled up and down like 10 times just writing this message.
the synaptics touchpad on my friends g74 is way better

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
9.1.3.5 is fine for me.

A shot in the dark, when you updated your BIOS, after it restarted did you go back into the BIOS settings and reset defaults?

I have a G74 with the Sentelic and, after doing all the updates and everything mine is fine. Awesome in fact.

Another shot in the dark, did you update your Atheros WiFi driver yet?

fsjk85
09-29-2011, 02:30 AM
i didnt reset defaults but i did go through all the settings, nothing was changed from the previous bios and i'm using the wifi driver from the asus page.
the settings available in the sentelic options i have are limited
http://i.imgur.com/4QhKr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h9XC9.jpg
i looked through the registry and there are some other options like sensitivity in there, unfortunately i have no idea how to make them appear in the configuration window

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 03:01 AM
i noticed you said you tried to install the synaptics software but have you tried the other software?

fsjk85
09-29-2011, 03:09 AM
the synaptics software installs but doesnt give you any options apart from setting what the mouse buttons do.
i dont know of any other software?

dstrakele
09-29-2011, 05:32 AM
hey guys, i just got my brand new g74sx-xr1 and the first thing i notice is i cant type without the mouse clicking everywhere, so i try and adjust the sensitivity or the palmcheck that most touchpads have only to discover they dont exist on my laptop, my friend who has the best buy model has those options
turns out i have a Sentelic touchpad whereas he has a Synaptics one.
ive tried for hours to get the synaptics drivers to install properly and give me full functionality but nope.
so it appears my only solution to have a proper touchpad is to replace it with a synaptics ones, anyone know where to get one or any ideas?

Using the Sentelic drivers, go to Mouse Properties -Finger Sensing Pad tab, to get to the Finger Sensing Pad Configurator. In this dialog, expand Enable/Disable Pad,and click on "Typing Detection". Confirm the "Disable pad while typing" checkbox is checked, then expand "Typing Detection" and click on "Reactiivation Time". Set it to at least 1.5 seconds. This is the key as the default setting is too low.

I learned this from another forum post and it resolved my touchpad issues while typing.

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
try using the sentilic drivers/software.

fsjk85
09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
the sentelic drivers are whats doing my head in, having that typing deactivation makes it impossible to play a game on this laptop

dstrakele
09-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Yeah - typing deactivation won't work if you have to use the keyboard and touchpad simultaneously. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to decrease the Selentic touchpad sensitivity to touch, so if it isn't working for you in this scenario, you're relegated to using a mouse with the touchpad disabled. There is a Selentic setting for it to disable when a USB mouse is installed. I'll agree with you that the Selentic touchpad is not as polished as others I've used.

Classico
10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah - typing deactivation won't work if you have to use the keyboard and touchpad simultaneously. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to decrease the Selentic touchpad sensitivity to touch, so if it isn't working for you in this scenario, you're relegated to using a mouse with the touchpad disabled. There is a Selentic setting for it to disable when a USB mouse is installed. I'll agree with you that the Selentic touchpad is not as polished as others I've used.

Yeah, I thought that would work for me too. Problem is my touch pad randomly starts working again even though my USB mouse is plugged in and working. I have to unplug the mouse and plug it back in... then my volume settings totally get screwed up, it changes individual programs settings so I almost always have to have the mixer open to resync the volume. I hate that windows doesn't allow you to force the mixer to stay synced.

I'm really tired of this, I otherwise love the G74.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when the touch pad starts working the tray icon still shows it as disabled, the pointer starts twitching, and remains almost unusable until I remove the mouse and plug it back in.

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Sounds like an update to the current Sentelic driver is needed.

If you disable the mouse with Fn-F9, does it stay disabled? I believe (but am not 100% certain) Chastity mentioned the touchpad can also be disabled in the BIOS in another thread.

Classico
10-06-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm running version 9.1.3.5, and no luck. I've also tried fn-f9--it flashes "enabled" when I press it and no USB mouse is plugged in, no matter how many times I press it. When a USB mouse is plugged in it flashes "disabled," no matter how many times I press it. When the touch pad randomly turns on while it isn't supposed to it still says it is disabled in the tray and on the transparent pop-up.

I've been told I can disable it in BIOS, but haven't done so because I often walk around work and the house with my laptop and need the touch pad when I do.

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 06:09 AM
If Fn-F9 just flashes "Enabled" when you repeated press the key combination, that is incorrect behavior. I get alternating "Enabled" and "Disabled" with the same 9.1.3.5 driver. I recommend uninstalling your current Sentelic driver, rebooting, sweeping for any Sentelic driver, and re-installing 9.1.3.5.

Thorn2011
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I had a similar problem, I just downloaded the latest touchpad drivers off the Asus site and then hit disable using the keyboard function, it worked, ever since it has remained disabled and I can use the mouse arrow combo I am used to.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Yup, me too. I disabled my touchpad about 3 weeks ago and it's stayed that way. (I would have disabled it even if it wasn't a useless POS. I loathe touchpads.... )

Thorn2011
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Yup, me too. I disabled my touchpad about 3 weeks ago and it's stayed that way. (I would have disabled it even if it wasn't a useless POS. I loathe touchpads.... )

Yeah same here, I am from a desktop PC background so I became very used to the mouse and keyboard, never used the pad and probably never will!

fsjk85
10-07-2011, 04:16 AM
i had some stuck pixels on my screen, so i took it into the asus centre, i told them about the touchpad and replaced it with a synaptics, this one specifically http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?products_id=51341

johnkook73
10-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I disabled mine but from time to time it still works!! Especially when I am trying to play a game lol. They need to come out with a fix for this!!

wanfeilwong
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
i had some stuck pixels on my screen, so i took it into the asus centre, i told them about the touchpad and replaced it with a synaptics, this one specifically http://www.asusparts.eu/product_info.php?products_id=51341

Sorry to revive an old thread, but you said that they replaced your trackpad with an Synaptics one? Are you using a G74sx too?
I just want to know how well it works because I might want to replace mine with this unit.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Me too!!!

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but you said that they replaced your trackpad with an Synaptics one? Are you using a G74sx too?
I just want to know how well it works because I might want to replace mine with this unit.
I don't know if that user is still around. I hope he sees your post and responds.....I'm curious about this too.

My key concern in replacing the TP hardware would be the cable configuration. Different setups do this differently. Some implementations have the TP cable going to the button board, and then a cable goes from that PCB to the single M/B connector (I think the G73 does it this way). Others, like our G74s, implement the TP and the buttons as completely separate components, with separate cables to their own connectors on the M/B.

Is this is interchangeable? Assuming it uses the same 12-pin cable, and an appropriate Synaptics driver can tell the G74 how to use the new pin assignments, perhaps it's a simple swap. I don't know because I've never tried it, but I wouldn't want to rip out the exisiting touchpad unless I knew the replacement was going to work. (The TPs are attached to the top cover with a very strong adhesive, so I'd be prepared to sacrifice it in the removal process.)

Now that I have a working TP, I'm not so motivated to "intervene." The Sentelic drivers aren't great, but I'm not sure Synaptics offers enough different/better features to make it worth the swap.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Asus should send out refurb kits to anyone that bought a G-series notebook with the sentelic tp. This is a freakin' travesty!

380mcn
11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
i had the same fu%&#" problems wiyth the touchpad.. until i updated the drivers (in jrd1st sig) and then
#1 enable: disable touchpad upon detection of external mouse.. some like this
#2 disable the side touchpad where the vertical and horizontal scrolls are detected.. this is the main cause of erratic and stupid behaviour

Now, if i want to scroll i use 2 fingers down or left..
hope i can help!

wanfeilwong
11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I know people aren't suppose to assume, but judging by ASUS g74x product page, download section, there are synaptics drivers available for the G74sx.

I'm curious to see if earlier revisions of the G74sx used synaptics TPs...and later ones used Sentellic to boost their profit margin.
If that's the case then their should be a synaptics TP available we can easily do a swap with. Hopefully not too expensive.

Although some people just use an actual mouse, Alot of times when browsing webpages or documents I want to be able to smoothly scroll and middle click with the TP.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
i had the same fu%&#" problems wiyth the touchpad.. until i updated the drivers (in jrd1st sig) and then
#2 disable the side touchpad where the vertical and horizontal scrolls are detected.. this is the main cause of erratic and stupid behaviour

hope i can help!
Poor driver performance is a completely different issue from the hardware-based TP failure. The two problems can seem similar at first blush, but the hardware problem is much more severe and it's not resolved by software changes. Driver settings are not "the main cause of erratic and stupid behavior" in those cases.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm curious to see if earlier revisions of the G74sx used synaptics TPs...and later ones used Sentellic to boost their profit margin.
If that's the case then their should be a synaptics TP available we can easily do a swap with. Hopefully not too expensive.
I don't think that's the case. Based on owners' posts here, on NBR, and reviews of the G74, Sentelic has been the default hardware from the beginning. Apparently, there are some with Synaptics hardware, but it appears to be a relatively small proportion.

My guess (only a guess) is that different configurations may be assembled in different locations or at least separate production runs, and some stock hardware might reflect this. I'm pretty sure this is true for RAM and HDDs, and maybe it's true for touchpads as well?

In any event, don't expect Asus to adjust production in response to user preference or product performance feedback. The Synaptics touchpad in the G73 was a nightmare from day one, but they just continued to install and sell it exactly the same way, without revision and without any acknowledgement that it had known issues. They seriously DO NOT care.

wanfeilwong
11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
So BrodyBoy, if asus put in the synaptics TPs at one point then that must mean that there is a version of that TP that uses the same connections as the sentellic TP and would fit in other g74sx's.

Unless of course, you are saying that the mobo hardware port for TPs is different between g74sx versions as well which very well could be the case.

dstrakele
11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
You KNOW they just cobble these things together from whatever parts are lying around at the time... ;>{)>

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
So BrodyBoy, if asus put in the synaptics TPs at one point then that must mean that there is a version of that TP that uses the same connections as the sentellic TP and would fit in other g74sx's.

Unless of course, you are saying that the mobo hardware port for TPs is different between g74sx versions as well which very well could be the case.
I would guess the first scenario.....but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd want to actually see it or get authoritative confirmation. There are different M/Bs...I've seen two different ones that use a completely different video cable connector setup, for example. (I'm thinking it's for 3D versus non-3D versions, but that's just a guess.) I don't see anything that looks like alternative solder posts in the TP area on the M/B, so I think that further supports your first scenario....but again, I'd just want to be sure.

You KNOW they just cobble these things together from whatever parts are lying around at the time... ;>{)>

That's what I'm afraid of!

wanfeilwong
11-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Understood, I'd like to see confirmation as well. All this speculation just leads to false hopes haha...

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I would guess the first scenario.....but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd want to actually see it or get authoritative confirmation. There are different M/Bs...I've seen two different ones that use a completely different video cable connector setup, for example. (I'm thinking it's for 3D versus non-3D versions, but that's just a guess.) I don't see anything that looks like alternative solder posts in the TP area on the M/B, so I think that further supports your first scenario....but again, I'd just want to be sure.

That's what I'm afraid of!

They may just use a different cable if the connector is in a different place.

BrodyBoy
11-28-2011, 10:36 PM
The cable (the 12-pin one used in the Sentelic) could be folded to accommodate a different connector, if necessary. (They're plenty long enough.) But I don't think that's the case....I just don't see what looks like an alternative connection spot on the M/B.

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I didn't mean on the MB but a different place on the TP.

I sort of feel lime that TP in my notebook is a bomb about to go off and make it worthless at any time (if I wanted to sell) . . .

380mcn
11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Poor driver performance is a completely different issue from the hardware-based TP failure. The two problems can seem similar at first blush, but the hardware problem is much more severe and it's not resolved by software changes. Driver settings are not "the main cause of erratic and stupid behavior" in those cases.

so you're saying i now have an half.fixed touchpad.. so i should be expecting that the touchpad goes nuts..
i know it is an hardware issue, but with these settings i can work with the touchpad.. ..and having control over the scroll..

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe you should open it up and check that ground strap.

380mcn
11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Maybe you should open it up and check that ground strap.

i won't open it.. with my 'expertise' i surely re mount the case with several screws in my hand in the final. lolol

BrodyBoy
11-29-2011, 12:17 PM
so you're saying i now have an half.fixed touchpad.. so i should be expecting that the touchpad goes nuts..
i know it is an hardware issue, but with these settings i can work with the touchpad.. ..and having control over the scroll..
No, I'm not saying that....I don't know enough about your particular touchpad's history to have an opinion on whether it's fixed, half-fixed, or whatever. In the context of a discussion about the defective touchpads, you posted this:

hope i can help!

....and I was just pointing out that driver problems, which is what you were saying you had, are a whole different thing from the truly bad touchpads that some people have gotten. Drivers and software settings don't fix those units.

Hopefully, your problems really were just a drivers & settings thing, and you've fixed it, and you're done. But because the faulty touchpads are a different problem, your solution doesn't apply....it can't help a defective/damaged touchpad.

JRd1st
11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Do you think these touchpads/drivers need a faster scroll. I mean, 3 gestures to go diagonally across the screen is a bit much, when set to max scrolling.

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Do you think these touchpads/drivers need a faster scroll. I mean, 3 gestures to go diagonally across the screen is a bit much, when set to max scrolling.
They need a lot of customization that they don't currently offer! I've been working on various kinds of tweaks (registry and otherwise) to improve the TP functionality, and I think it can be made to work a lot better. But for whatever reason, Asus/Sentelic have minimized user options in the configuration panel. :(

Vertical scroll, if that's what you meant, is actually TOO fast for most people. By default, you barely swipe your fingers and your at the bottom of the screen. That can be fixed, but it's not intuitive in the user controls.

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 01:23 AM
No, I mean if you want to drag your cursor from 1 corner to the adjacent corner it takes 3 gestures covering the full length of the TP diagonally. That's ridiculous!

Which driver are you using, now?

BrodyBoy
11-30-2011, 01:55 AM
No, I mean if you want to drag your cursor from 1 corner to the adjacent corner it takes 3 gestures covering the full length of the TP diagonally. That's ridiculous!

Which driver are you using, now?
I'm using 9.1.3.5. (I don't like the SmartSense thing in 9.1.7.7.) While the Sentelic driver offers no acceleration options, the basic Windows mouse settings has a very crude acceleration option. In the "Pointer Options" section, the speed slider does just what it says....sets the multiplier to determine how finger movement translates to cursor movement. The "Enhance pointer precision" checkbox applies an additional algorithm to that setting, using two speed thresholds at which the multiplier is doubled. As I said, it's very crude, but it's better than being stuck with a 1:1 movement ratio that takes forever to get the cursor across the display!

JRd1st
11-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I can't believe Asus pulled this crap on us! They put this penny-ante crap in our $1600 notebooks, and expect us to use it and be happy.

BTW, the vertical scroll scrolls by page, it seems

wanfeilwong
11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, Asus cheaped out on the TP and wifi/BT card.... Hopefully nothing else though. Regardless I still think this is the best bang4buck laptop out there. I'm sure this same configuration in an alienware would cost another arm.

fsjk85
12-03-2011, 07:05 AM
hey guys, nice to see my thread revived, yes they replaced it with a synaptics, the one i linked.
i have a g74sx and they used the touchpad from the g73, on the work order form they gave me it had that part number i linked earlier.
I have to say the synaptics touchpad blows away the sentelic one, no longer does it click around when im typing and two finger scrolling actually works.
you should try bring in your laptop to an asus centre and ask them to replace it, the sentelic is outright garbage and if its not working as intended then it should be replaced under warranty.

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 07:32 AM
you should try bring in your laptop to an asus centre and ask them to replace it, the sentelic is outright garbage and if its not working as intended then it should be replaced under warranty.
All said, I don't think the Sentelic is so bad when it's actually working as designed. Assuming the hardware isn't haywire, the differences between the various brands mostly comes down to their configuration options. My other Asus has an Elan touchpad, which I hated at first. But it was my first non-Synaptics touchpad, and I just wasn't used to it. Now it's second nature....never bothers me at all.

But of course, I'll be the first to agree that, if your G74 touchpad is persistently erratic and glitchy, you should demand a replacement. I don't think they're fixable.

TKS
12-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Never understood what the issues with the trackpad were O_o

BrodyBoy
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Never understood what the issues with the trackpad were O_o
If your touchpad wasn't affected, there's no reason you would. Touchpads are one of those things, like keyboards, that we just expect to work, and never think about until they don't. But there are multiple threads, going back at least to the G73 release, where you can read all about these issues if you're interested.

wanfeilwong
12-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Issues? smooth multi-finger gesture support, that's my issue. Back in 2007 I had a lenovo laptop which didn't originally have 2 finger scrolling. After using a different Synaptics driver, I got my 2 finger scrolling on. It worked just as smooth as a macbook. If it's 2011 and I get scroll lag navigating through a page that's not right.

Now I do suggest, if you're stuck with the Sentelic, that you only use the 9.1.3.5 drivers. They work the best and have the least input lag out of all them. The other thing is it actually does middle click via 2-finger tap. (Very useful if you're a Maya/Softimage/Max user)

BrodyBoy
12-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I prefer that driver too.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Now I do suggest, if you're stuck with the Sentelic, that you only use the 9.1.3.5 drivers. They work the best and have the least input lag out of all them. The other thing is it actually does middle click via 2-finger tap. (Very useful if you're a Maya/Softimage/Max user)

I agree, plus you can tweak the settings through the mouse settings in Control Panel. I believe they get saved under a separate device and don't effect your USB mouse as long as it wasn't plugged in when you did the settings.

AQUASTEVAE
12-09-2011, 05:09 AM
yeah, with the right drivers, i love this trackpad. i am starting to get use to the different things it can do, and once you get them down, this thing can do so many things my synaptic's couldn't. i'm loving it now. no problems at all with the afore mentioned drivers.

JRd1st
12-09-2011, 11:56 AM
... knock on wood. ;)

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I CANNOT freaking believe this.....

My son texted me from work today to let me know the G74's cursor froze on him last night. So I looked at it this morning, and ended up restoring to an earlier time yesterday, and it was fine. (I figured some Windows update or something messed with the TP driver.)

But then tonight, he tells me it's being erratic...like the previous units! I can't believe this might be coming up again.

I'll be doing some diagnosis later today....maybe I'll be lucky and it really is just a corrupted driver or something. I sure hope so.

And to top it all off? My hot water heater decided to die today. Jolly-olly Xmas....my a**!

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Oh, crap. :(

Just think, now you can buy a more efficient water heater. That can make a huge difference with your energy bill. ;)

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Maybe you could rig up some type of in-line water heater where it gets piped over the CPU and GPU before it goes to the shower... ;>{)>

I am truly sorry to hear of your son's continued touchpad problems. You guys don't deserve this!

JRd1st
12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
... You guys don't deserve this!

Noone that's paid good money deserves it. :\

BrodyBoy
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh, crap. :(

Just think, now you can buy a more efficient water heater. That can make a huge difference with your energy bill. ;)
Yeah, I hope so. I hate being in a position where I don't have a lot of (or ANY) time to research and ensure that I'm making the best choice. I really have to get one installed today, so I'm at the mercy of the HVAC service company I use. :(

Thanks for the thoughts, guys....I agree that nobody deserves all these touchpad issues. As I said, hopefully it's just a false alarm and not "the" touchpad problem. I'll report back after I've had a chance to check it out.