PDA

View Full Version : Questions about G74SX-BBK7 (Best Buy Model)

Wrstlr316
09-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I found this forum while searching for info on the G74SX-BBK7 (Best Buy Model) and I do have some questions...

OK, just for an update on what I have done so far, I have done the BIOS 202 flash using WINFlash and Asus Updater, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the ATK Keyboard package...

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium disk that I can use to reinstall the OS, using the Windows key from the bottom of the laptop, but I was wondering what all drivers will I need to search for, and / or is there a way to get or create a driver disk for the laptop, remembering that I have the best buy model so it did NOT come with one. Also I plan on keeping the recovery partition but should I keep the partitions as they are (second 500GB split into 2 partitions) or should I combine them ? I am sure there is a reason why I am disabling Windows Update until I get SP1, but I was wondering if you don't mind me asking what that reason is just for my knowledge. Is Wireless console 3, Power4gear Hybrid, ATK Package (1.0.0.00010) + webcam software the only list of programs I should download off the ASUS website, do I need to download the one for the Touchpad ? I also found while using the "default, fresh from the box" programs and such that the volume was way low and the only way to fix it was to go into the THX TruStudio Settings and changing the "Speakers" setting to "External" will this problem be resolved with a fresh reinstall or will I need to reload THX as well and do the same as I am doing now? Also... where do I find this "Color Profile" you are talking about ?

Already registered the laptop with the "Popup" registration through the ASUS website but I only remember 1 and neither of those sound familiar... How do I know if I registered everywhere I need to ?

And thank you again in advance... J

PS: If you are just going to post "gimped gpu" or another negative comment about the Best Buy model, please don't bother posting, the games I play look the way I want them to, and so far I am very happy with it...

JRd1st
09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Well, you should install SP1 first because that includes many updates, THEN install the rest of the updates. You don't have to wait for SP1, though. you could get it through Windows Update. Look here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gg635126.aspx

As far as partitions go, it's up to you whether to keep them split or to merge them or not. I like separate partitions but then I like things organized and partitions allow that.

Next time, do your flash through Easy Flash; it's safer than any other method.

The answers to your other questions will have to come from someone at ASUS, like Chastity.

Good luck! ;)

grungeboy2
09-29-2011, 03:06 AM
my best buy model came with the disks.

yeah there's a section on the asus site. google asus, and select downloads, then it'll ask you for the make and model of the laptop. once you put that info in it'll ask what OS and then take you to the driver page.

most of the stuff there is what you need. maybe chastity can get you a iso to the actual distro disc. my g51 came with a utility that installed all the drivers for you. i made a little partition on my secondary drive that had win7 and the utilities on it.

Wrstlr316
09-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Well, you should install SP1 first because that includes many updates, THEN install the rest of the updates. You don't have to wait for SP1, though. you could get it through Windows Update. Look here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gg635126.aspx

As far as partitions go, it's up to you whether to keep them split or to merge them or not. I like separate partitions but then I like things organized and partitions allow that.

Next time, do your flash through Easy Flash; it's safer than any other method.

The answers to your other questions will have to come from someone at ASUS, like Chastity.

Good luck! ;)

Cool I kinda figured it was just a time saver thing when it came to SP1. As for partitions I am unsure what I want to do to be exact, part of me wanted to make one for the OS, one for games and other applications, and one for music and photos (not counting leaving the "hidden one" for recovery) but I wasn't sure if I would run into possible problems with that, so then I was thinking about just having 2, 1 for the OS and applications and then 1 for photos and music so I wouldn't have to reload them if / whenever I upgraded or reinstalled the OS in case of a problem or just because I tend to reinstall OS's alot just because I swear I have PC OCD and find it easier to backup and start from scratch then trying to find and delete old left over files, etc. from games or programs that I no longer have / use. Also, thanks for the tip about Easy Flash, I will have to look into it, I was crossing my fingers that Chastity would see this and reply when / if they got time.

my best buy model came with the disks.

yeah there's a section on the asus site. google asus, and select downloads, then it'll ask you for the make and model of the laptop. once you put that info in it'll ask what OS and then take you to the driver page.

most of the stuff there is what you need. maybe chastity can get you a iso to the actual distro disc. my g51 came with a utility that installed all the drivers for you. i made a little partition on my secondary drive that had win7 and the utilities on it.

Strange mine had no disk, I found the driver page but wasn't sure if there was an easier way (iso, actual list of exactly the ones I need, etc) or not. I did find a link on these forums that was supposed to have the drivers and apps for the G74SX, that was roughly 1.5GB in size which isn't the problem, the problem was it started at about 30 mins left (download time) and when I canceled it, it had gotten to approx 2 days left (downloading time) and hadn't downloaded anything.

Thanks for the help so far... J

Wrstlr316
10-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Has anyone heard any more on when the driver downloads are going to be back online, or where I may be able to get a driver disk for this laptop. I guess I could go the route or going to the ASUS website and downloading all the drivers for the G74SX but it doesn't say if that includes the Best Buy model or not. And also tat doesn't help me know what programs I have to / should reinstall. I think I have a good idea which ones to do, but I don't want to install more / less than I need, or should install, to be honest.

grungeboy2
10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
unknown at this time.

my recommendation is that when they are online, grab all the ones one the site for that laptop. store them on a disc or something and put it with the documentation that came with your laptop.

chastity might be able to help you grab a download of the regular driver disc that comes with them (if they do come with one at all).

on the older ones, installing drivers was a breeze. install win7, insert driver disc, program would pop up showing what drivers needed to be installed, uncheck asus bloatware (asdm, nb probe, live update). then the program would run through and install the ones you selected.

after that, i've never really had any problems, so i've never bothered to update anything other than my video driver (i use the Verde Driver from Nvidia, as opposed to the Asus Driver).