PDA

View Full Version : Asus g750jw - how to boot/reimage to SSD?

MrAwesome
03-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I have a Crucial SSD from which I have cloned my C: drive to the 250GB SSD (F: drive) using Macrium Reflect.

Now I cant seem to boot the SSD drive in BIOS, it doesn't give me the option too. Only the 1TB SATA drive (C:) appears.

How can I get it to boot to the SSD?

I have tried removing the original 1TB drive and put the SSD in its place, but it just boots straight to BIOS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Myk SilentShadow
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Hello there, in BIOS do you see an option for Windows Boot Manager? if yes, choose that and be amazed at ze speeds of ze SSD!! :cool: :p

MrAwesome
03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Yep, I see Windows Boot Manager in BIOS but it is for the SATA hard drive and not the SSD hard drive.

Myk SilentShadow
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Hmmm try resetting defaults F5 then F10, reboot and get back into BIOS. Any change?

MrAwesome
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Yep, I have tried resetting to default settings and then rebooted, but still the same result. Do I need to create a new boot or anything?

F5 did't reset to default but I reset it to optimised default by using the menu.

cl-Albert
03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Make sure you see your SSD listed under the bios 'advanced' menu/SATA Configuration at least, or let us know if you don't see it there either.

MrAwesome
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Under BIOS > Advanced > SATA Configuration I can see the Crucial SSD listed under slot 0 (I think it was) along with the 1TB drive and the DVD drive.

It is also listed as AHCI, not of IDE and one other (RAID I think it was?)

cl-Albert
03-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that sounds normal and pretty good, but doesn't explain why you aren't able to boot to the SSD.

Unfortunately, I don't do a lot of upgrading and still haven't tried Macrium yet, so hopefully someone else has better ideas what to try next, but you may want to make sure the SSD was imaged properly however you can.
I have some ideas for this, but hoping someone else knows what is wrong and can provide a better answer.

Good luck!

MrAwesome
03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks Albert.

I had cloned it three times, once with another software and then realized it cloned it to the different hard drive but not in GPT format (SSD was originally in MBR) and twice with Macrium.

I had read on here that Macrium supports GPT and so it did, the SSD is not in GPT and not MBR and I cloned it twice incase I did it incorrectly. It took 1 hour and 22 minutes to clone roughly 180gig of data.

noone
03-19-2014, 12:17 AM
After clone, remove original HDD and replace with SSD. This will give the computer only 1 drive to boot from (the correct one).
If you have 2 OS drives connected, things can get confused.

MrAwesome
03-19-2014, 12:25 AM
I have tried removing the original HDD and replacing with the SSD only. When I do this, it boots straight to BIOS and under Boot options, I cannot select the SSD.

breadbutt
03-19-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm having the exact same problem.
I hope someone knows something, because I've googled all over the place and nothing.

cl-Albert
03-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Not sure how much this thread will help and looks ike breadbutt has already posted on it, but here is a recent thread about SSD upgrades if anybody is interested:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37714-G750JW-adding-a-SSD

Looks like some people were able to use ASUS Backtracker to transfer the image.
There was a suggestion about formatting the SSD first which I'm not sure will make much difference, but maybe something to investigate.

Also, if you haven't searched the ROG forums, there should be older threads about this too.

If you have another operating system to install on the SSD as a test or an easy way to make it bootable, you may want to try this too just to make sure this works at least.
Finally, consider checking with the SSD manufacturer or FAQs as well for more suggestions?

Hope this is able to help and good luck!

MrAwesome
03-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking instead of just cloning the Windows (C:) drive partition, that I use ASUS backtracker to just restore the OS.

hmscott
03-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking instead of just cloning the Windows (C:) drive partition, that I use ASUS backtracker to just restore the OS.

I have done it successfully both ways, clone from Asus boot drive to smaller SSD, and restored from Asus Backtracker to new drive in boot position bay.

When you see the cloned drive in the Storage Manager, while booted on the 1TB, does the SSD show as MBR or GPT. It needs to be GPT.

The Asus Backtracker boot USB drive will erase everything in the bays on the G750, so make sure you pull both drives, and only have the new boot drive in the original boot bay in the system when doing the Backtracker restore. Also, unplug any USB drives besides the Asus Backtracker USB drive before starting the restore.

That is the quickest and easiest way, especially if you use a fast USB 3.0 flash drive. Faster creation of the Backtracker backup, and faster restore. I did it with a USB 2.0 drive and that took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. - I actually feel asleep waiting for it to complete :)

The benefit of using the original boot drive bay for the new drive is you don't need to make any BIOS changes.

You can return the old boot drive to the system via a USB 3.0 enclosure, which is what I do, and then I either leave the 2nd bay empty to save power/heat or put another drive in the 2nd bay - preferably a large SSD.

The other way is to Clone the boot drive, with all your hours of configuration intact, to the new SSD. The best way to do this is to put the new SSD in the 2nd bay, and then use a program like Macrium Reflect Free to clone the original partitions.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

The only trick is you need to shrink the C/D partition to match the size of the new drive, if it is smaller, so all the partitions will fit. One of the benefits of getting a Samsung Evo 1TB is that you wouldn't need to play around with the partitions.

Here is a screen shot of Macrium Reflect after cloning and swapping bay postitions, from 750GB boot drive to 512GB Samsung 840 Pro:

After this point, and after you have created an Asus Backtracker USB recovery drive, you could delete the Recovery related partitions, delete the D partition (after backing up what is there), and merge all the space into the C partition.