PDA

View Full Version : Risks of upgrading BIOS to 202 !? G74SX

rogpyoopyoo
09-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I have searched a few posts on the ROG fourm regarding the keyboard lag !

It all suggests upgrading the BIOS to 202.

However, i also saw a post on someone attempting to do so and "bricked" his G74sx....

This is why i am worried ..... and i do not have much knowledge of BIOS.

Is this keyboard lag fix suggested by Asus team or just a "working fix" by laptop owners ?!!

I really would like to fix my keyboard lag ....because i kept on crashing in car racing games : ( road rage !!!!

Thanks for helping me out !!

xeromist
09-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Make sure to use a flash drive freshly formatted with FAT32. There seems to be a correlation between NTFS and bricking so don't use it. And if the drive came from the factory with FAT32 remove the partition and redo it with Windows just to be certain.

JRd1st
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Here's a good guide for you - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html

climo
09-30-2011, 02:45 AM
^^^ careful with that guide when using ezflash from the bios. It tells you to put the bios on your hdd when it should be on fat32 formatted usb flash drive.

Seems newer asus notebooks have been bricking lately when updating the bios either with ezflash or winflash. Im waiting on bios 203 before flashing mine. Still makes me nervous about updating the bios.

PeteGeek
09-30-2011, 02:59 AM
I used an external NTFS formatted HDD (WD pocket drive) and didn't have any issues. Not to say that others aren't though and I only found out about using a FAT32 flash drive afterwards.

The advice given here is sound. A flash drive + FAT32 should be fine. Noticeable difference in keyboard lag reduction and the numpad will work as it should. I'm still looking forward to 203 too though as I'd like my numpad to function as specified in the manual ;)

JRd1st
09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
^^^ careful with that guide when using ezflash from the bios. It tells you to put the bios on your hdd when it should be on fat32 formatted usb flash drive.

Yah, we need to make some guides of our own, here. Lol.

rogpyoopyoo
10-01-2011, 02:11 AM
I think i will just wait for the 203 if it is any more stable !!!
In the mean time i can deal with the lag ....or get a external keyboard should fix it ?????

Thanks for everyone's input !! Awesome Forum !!

PeteGeek
10-01-2011, 08:42 AM
In the mean time i can deal with the lag ....or get a external keyboard should fix it ?????

External keyboard will work if you have the space for it. You'll even get a numlock you can turn on and off! lol

grungeboy2
10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
i thought that issue was fixed ages ago.

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
You all should know that updating a BIOS isn't a HUGE risk. It's just that you have to do it the right way the first time because you don't get a second chance.

... Plus, the Asus manual doesn't go into enough detail to tell someone that doesn't already know the finer details... :(

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/WinFlash/WinFlash_Win7_32_Z2311.zip

You can also use the newer versions of WinFlash to update your BIOS from within Windows.